Is the East a bit overrated?

southsider2k5

We just took 2 of 3 from New York (including NY self destructing in game 3, blowing game 1, and nearly blowing game 2) and 2 of 3 from Toronto (including a beating of Roy Halliday), while Kansas City was sweeping the Red Sox (??!!??) Did these teams just get caught at the right time, or is the AL Central better than they are getting credit for?

I think right now you've got 2 teams in the Blue Jays and the Red Sox who are just going through rough times at the moment, but the lack of quality starting pitching is starting to catch up with both of them.

The Yanks need their new pieces to gel in that lineup, but if they can get good starts from the likes of RJ, Wang and Mussina they should take that division.

The Red Sox are having some bigtime injury problems, Varitek is out, Lowell, Loretta, Nixon, and Mirabelli have all been in and out with injuries recently. The pitching in Boston isnt great(it is good), they need a little offense behind them.

Toronto has really tailed off... b4 that id say an argument could be made for both but now that the bluejays have fallen flat Id say the East is once again a 2 team division.

I still think if they add a f/a SP to go with Lilly, Burnett, and Halladay and maybe a bullpen arm they can be a really good team next season.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
Didn't Boston and NY beat us up pretty good a few weeks ago?

yes

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 08:40 AM)
The East is 60-53 vs the Central, but KC accounts for 20 of those wins. So the East vs the Central excluding KC: 40-45. The East is slightly over-rated IMO.

How is the Central vs the East if you take out games against the Devil Rays? You gotta look at it both ways.

I think its catching them at the right time, although the Yankees had their top 3 pitchers going and were very lucky the Sox didn't sweep them. Of course they swept the Sox in NY. Boston is really hurting without Varitek and Mirabelli, and Papplebon has imploded recently. They should be stablizing soon. If the Sox can get through the next road trip in good shape, they should be in outstanding position. Minnesota is a scary team. Hopefully they choose to be extra cautious with Liriano, and sit him for a long while.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
yes

How is the Central vs the East if you take out games against the Devil Rays? You gotta look at it both ways.

The East (excluding TB) is 30-34 vs the Central (excluding KC).

Central Overall Record - 300-268 (.528)

East Overall Record - 291-278 (.511)

I think that the Sawx and the Yanks are legit but besides that they are overhyped. Every year they try to throw another team in the contention mix, Baltimore the past few and Toronto this year. It never pans out. I dont think many people will disagree the AL central is the best division this year.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
Minnesota is a scary team. Hopefully they choose to be extra cautious with Liriano, and sit him for a long while.

For Liriano's sake (and ours)...I hope he sits the rest of the year...but I have a feeling that Minny will rush him back if it's still tight for the WC which would be disasterous for him in the long haul. I'd hope Gardenhire is smarter than that.

I don't think Toronto is for real(just an opinion really, nothing great to back it up), Boston is going through a rough spell with a lot of injuries(and KC looks like a real team now with a front office that has a clue...I also think what happened to them in the beginning of the year was just hit a massive friggin slump. I would personally say right now that KC is probably as good, if not better, than Cleveland. Not nearly as talented though).

From what I saw of New York, they are for real. That offense is probably the best in the majors RIGHT NOW...if by some chance of bad luck Sheffield and Matsui come back healthy, they are going to be dangerous as hell come playoff time. The pitching is mediocre, but with an offense that talented with they way they are hitting, mediocre pitching may as well be bad pitching and they could still win the World Series. Once again, if the Sox make the playoffs, New York is a team I do not want to see.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
For Liriano's sake (and ours)...I hope he sits the rest of the year...but I have a feeling that Minny will rush him back if it's still tight for the WC which would be disasterous for him in the long haul. I'd hope Gardenhire is smarter than that.

tigerux7.png

wanne... i f-ing love this sig of yours

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
that new GM of the Royals is from the Braves organization right? If so they might be the twins 2.0 in our division in a couple seasons.

Yes, he comes from the Braves, and he's doing a good job IMO thus far, but that team still is in trouble just from the inconvenient fact that there isn't a lot of talent on that team to deal. You can only get so much for Mike Redman, for example, which is one of the reasons that he wasn't dealt at the deadline; you can only get so much for a 5th starter, especially when Kip Wells and Corey Lidle already are on the move.

That team needs to think of itself as the Brewers...stockpile talent, don't rush it to the big leagues, occasionally sign someone and make sure to get something in return for them, and don't let people walk as FA's.

As weak as their system is right now, if they do things right, and the rest of the division makes a few mistakes, in 5 years, they could be at the top.

Edited by Balta1701

Idonno man they arent that far off. They got 2 hitting prospects that probably will be ready to hit major league pitching. Only problem is Teahen and Gordon both play the same position and it seems they have their future 1B at least for the time being already on the team. So unless they boot Sweeney there is a log jam. Than they can possibly add Lumsden and Greinkie to the rotation next season and that to go with Hernandez, Hudson, and Elarton isnt all that bad considering what they have trot out there in past seasons.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 12:42 PM)
We just took 2 of 3 from New York (including NY self destructing in game 3, blowing game 1, and nearly blowing game 2) and 2 of 3 from Toronto (including a beating of Roy Halliday), while Kansas City was sweeping the Red Sox (??!!??) Did these teams just get caught at the right time, or is the AL Central better than they are getting credit for?

I think the AL central really is going to be the strongest division in the AL for years to come. Even KC has upcoming talent that could put them near .500 before too long.

Yet the AL East won't go away. The Red Sox have some nice young arms. But they are feeling the innings starting to add up. They'll be tough for years to come as well. The Yanks still find a way to get it done, even w/o the pitching or prospects. The other East teams don't scare me or seem to have a clue how to build a winner.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
Idonno man they arent that far off. They got 2 hitting prospects that probably will be ready to hit major league pitching. Only problem is Teahen and Gordon both play the same position and it seems they have their future 1B at least for the time being already on the team. So unless they boot Sweeney there is a log jam. Than they can possibly add Lumsden and Greinkie to the rotation next season and that to go with Hernandez, Hudson, and Elarton isnt all that bad considering what they have trot out there in past seasons.

Moore is trying Justin Huber in the OF to see if he can handle it on both a short-term and long-term basis. There is also nothing stopping them from trying Teahen or Gordon in the OF, using one of them as a DH, or perhaps even packaging one of them up at a later date in a deal.

I am not sure exactly what Moore's take on loyalty is, but you can probably bet that he will look to move Sweeney. Bad contract, injury prone, and a bit older...doesn't exactly fit in with a youth movement.

Also, I tend to doubt Lumsden will be in the rotation next year. Players generally don't jump from AA to the majors, especially when their peripherals(136.1 IP, 125 H, 81/48 K/BB) aren't outstanding. His pitching great, don't get me wrong, but he'll be in AAA next year, unless he impresses the hell out of someone in spring training.

(BTW, for comparison's sake, Mark Buehrle at the time of his callup in 2000 - 118.1 IP, 95 H, 68/17 K/BB)

QUOTE(Drew @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 03:12 AM)
The media talks out of both sides of its mouth. Gives lip service to the AL Central but right back to your regularly-scheduled fellating of the AL East.

Berman: AND MANNY "I CANT THINK OF ANY MORE RIDICULOUSLY STUPID NICKNAMES" RAMIREZ BLASTS A HUGE SOLO HOMER IN THE BOTTOM OF THE 9TH OFF OF AUGUSTIN "THE WIND" MONTERO, but the Red Sox lose to the White Sox 22-1

i so see it happening

With the way Teahen has hit, maybe Moore could actually move him in a nice deal for some real good pitching prospect this off-season.

I think the Royals are fine in terms of position prospects, Gordon, Butler and Huber is a nice core there. It's just they really some good young pitching to reach the major league level of the team. They'll be getting Zach Greinke back though.