Sell out streak!

southsider2k5

Last night marked the White Sox 15 straight sell out of US Cellular Field, and 35th sell out of the 2006 season. The Sox have all 3 games with the Tigers sold out already, meaning we are looking at having at least 18 straight sellouts on the Southside, as the push for 3 million fans continues

:cheers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
Last night marked the White Sox 15 straight sell out of US Cellular Field, and 35th sell out of the 2006 season. The Sox have all 3 games with the Tigers sold out already, meaning we are looking at having at least 18 straight sellouts on the Southside, as the push for 3 million fans continues

Half price Monday should be a sellout, and when I tried to exchange some season tickets for Tuesday's game, I was told that was sold out. I still think they are going to fall just short of 3 million, but its nice to know that attendance, or lack of, is not a huge story in Chicago anymore. Hopefully the Sox win the WS again and its not an issue, but if by chance they don't, or if they don't make the playoffs, it will be interesting to see the season ticket renewel rate. If its really high, it very easily could mean an end to small crowds for a long time, even if the team doesn't perform well.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)

I love seeing the stands full of fans! It makes it a lot of fun to watch and see everyone go nuts.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
Half price Monday should be a sellout, and when I tried to exchange some season tickets for Tuesday's game, I was told that was sold out. I still think they are going to fall just short of 3 million, but its nice to know that attendance, or lack of, is not a huge story in Chicago anymore. Hopefully the Sox win the WS again and its not an issue, but if by chance they don't, or if they don't make the playoffs, it will be interesting to see the season ticket renewel rate. If its really high, it very easily could mean an end to small crowds for a long time, even if the team doesn't perform well.

I think if we win at least 90 games (which I think we'll definitely do), most of the fans will come back to watch us again next season, or at least I would like to think so.

It's not like the other product across town ain't doin so well ATM anyways. :D

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I think if we win at least 90 games (which I think we'll definitely do), most of the fans will come back to watch us again next season, or at least I would like to think so.

Not only that...the neighborhood continues to change and get better. Yesterday, leaving the game, I noticed how much had been tore down along Halsted street...probably shopping, restaurants, and condos going up. I also thought I saw a new bar north-west of the park, back around Wallace/33rd street area...so things are changing.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)

I think you might start seeing some empty seats at Wrigley next year, unless a huge move is made by the Cubs in the off-season. I think it takes a trade for ARod or Tejada, or someone of that calibur to keep the lemmings coming, especially if the Sox make anykind of a showing in post season play. You can feel the bitterness creeping in for Cub fans, the next step is to quit going if progress isn't shown.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
I think you might start seeing some empty seats at Wrigley next year, unless a huge move is made by the Cubs in the off-season. I think it takes a trade for ARod or Tejada, or someone of that calibur to keep the lemmings coming, especially if the Sox make anykind of a showing in post season play. You can feel the bitterness creeping in for Cub fans, the next step is to quit going if progress isn't shown.

Especially if Pierre and Ramirez both leave as FA's this off-season (I think Aramis can opt out of his deal this off-season can't he?).

And to get one of those 2 players you've mentioned, they'll definitely have to give up a Felix Pie, so who replaces Pierre if he leaves?

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
More importantly than anything, rewarding Jerry with close to 3m asses in the seats will encourage him to go out and get another big name FA next year. Alfonso Soriano, Lee?

Lee won't be back with this organization ever again.

Soriano would want a no trade clause with a 4 or 5 year deal and that's a huge risk. And yes he's had a great season, but IIRC, his OBP is still worse than Podsednik's this season.

More likely the Sox could use the money they would get from trading a starter like Garcia, to perhaps get a new leadoff hitter like Dellucci, upgrade the pen a little more, and perhaps get a new shortstop like Tejada in possibly?

i couldn't have asked for the fans to support this team better after the world championship season. it just proves who the smarter fans are... we held out for a world series championship, and Cub fans still sell out that stadium every game/every year, giving management no reason to win.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
Soriano would want a no trade clause with a 4 or 5 year deal and that's a huge risk. And yes he's had a great season, but IIRC, his OBP is still worse than Podsednik's this season.

Actually Soriano's OBP this year is 31 points higher than Podsednik's and his OPS is 256 points higher.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
Lee won't be back with this organization ever again.

More likely the Sox could use the money they would get from trading a starter like Garcia, to perhaps get a new leadoff hitter like Dellucci, upgrade the pen a little more, and perhaps get a new shortstop like Tejada in possibly?

DELLUCCI?? Can't we have our sights set a little higher than David Dellucci? He's about to be 33, has a career batting average of .265, (podsednik .264) and his career OBP is barely higher than Pods'.

Let's not overrate him for one magical season...

Dellucci's last two season's (2005, 2004, respectively.)

That makes no sense whatsoever. I like the overall package that Podsednik brings better than David Dellucci anyday.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 07:54 AM)
Especially if Pierre and Ramirez both leave as FA's this off-season (I think Aramis can opt out of his deal this off-season can't he?).

And to get one of those 2 players you've mentioned, they'll definitely have to give up a Felix Pie, so who replaces Pierre if he leaves?

You are correct, Ramirez can opt out of his contract.

Personally, I think Felix Pie winds up replacing Pierre if he's not resigned.

It is worth noting though that with Wood's contract finally up, and Pierre's up, and Ramirez opting out, and Maddux gone, the Cubs will have some money to spend this offseason.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
You are correct, Ramirez can opt out of his contract.

Personally, I think Felix Pie winds up replacing Pierre if he's not resigned.

It is worth noting though that with Wood's contract finally up, and Pierre's up, and Ramirez opting out, and Maddux gone, the Cubs will have some money to spend this offseason.

And they'll spend another offseason flirting with the big names in free agency only to come up short in the end, signing a few 2nd tier guys rather than actually shelling out the cash that they have available. It seems they do it every year, they'll negotiate with the big names to get the fans excited but in the end say the price was just too steep and sign a few of the lesser names instead. Who was the last BIG name free agent the Cubs signed?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
And they'll spend another offseason flirting with the big names in free agency only to come up short in the end, signing a few 2nd tier guys rather than actually shelling out the cash that they have available. It seems they do it every year, they'll negotiate with the big names to get the fans excited but in the end say the price was just too steep and sign a few of the lesser names instead. Who was the last BIG name free agent the Cubs signed?

Who was the last big name free agent the White Sox signed? Iguchi, Pierzynski are the biggest names, and at the time of their signing it wasn't huge... (unless you count a Freddy Garcia extension, which I don't.)

Colon, Garcia, Vazquez, Thome, all acquired in trade.... Paul Konerko... does that count? He was already our boy, so we had the leg up there.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Who was the last big name free agent the White Sox signed? Iguchi, Pierzynski are the biggest names, and at the time of their signing it wasn't huge... (unless you count a Freddy Garcia extension, which I don't.)

Colon, Garcia, Vazquez, Thome, all acquired in trade.... Paul Konerko... does that count? He was already our boy, so we had the leg up there.

I think you're missing the point. The Sox didn't have the money to sign that "big" free agent. The Cubs have and did and still haven't signed anyone.

QUOTE(mreye @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
I think you're missing the point. The Sox didn't have the money to sign that "big" free agent. The Cubs have and did and still haven't signed anyone.

Oh BS, the sox always had the money. I love Kenny's ways of trading for players and getting other teams to pay their contracts, BUT, it was always BS that the Sox didn't spend, and now that they ARE spending, we be happy.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)

The Sox have never had the same financial flexibility that the Cubs have basically always had so I'm not really sure how you can compare the 2 teams.

Albert Belle in Novemeber of '96, so it would be the 10 year anniversary this year.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
Oh BS, the sox always had the money. I love Kenny's ways of trading for players and getting other teams to pay their contracts, BUT, it was always BS that the Sox didn't spend, and now that they ARE spending, we be happy.

Not the money the Cubs had. You're gonna tell me the Sox had the money to spend when they were pulling 1.6 mil vs the Cubs pulling 2.9 and 3+? I'll guarantee the Sox have spent a much higher percentage of revenue on the club than the Cubs have in the last 10 years.