Proof that Umps hosed us in Yanks series

BigSqwert

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
I have a serious question though. Now I don't boo the fake the 3rd, throw to 1st move since I know it's technically not a balk, however I thought part of the balk rule involves the term "deceiving the runner" (which is why somebody has to be holding on the runner at 1st for you to throw over there). So in that case, why isn't the fake to 3rd, throw to 1st move a balk?

Faking to 2B or 3B while on the rubber is completely legal, while faking to 1B while on the rubber is illegal, and you can fake to any base while off the rubber. Once a fake pickoff to 2B or 3B has been done, you are off the rubber, and can go anywhere with the ball.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(farmteam @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:08 AM)
Yeah, that one is never called, and it happens all the time.

It's easy to tell people don't know the balk rules -- just listen to the crowd anytime the pitcher makes a move to second. They think it's a balk.

Yep or the third to first move the fans scream balk every time. Here at the minor league level many balks are missed by the umpires and one of our own pitchers Arnie Munoz used to balk a ton as a starter for Bham in 04 I would say almost every game he started the opposing manger or one of the coaches would be tossed because of a missed Munoz balk.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
Faking to 2B or 3B while on the rubber is completely legal, while faking to 1B while on the rubber is illegal, and you can fake to any base while off the rubber. Once a fake pickoff to 2B or 3B has been done, you are off the rubber, and can go anywhere with the ball.

does anyone know the reason you can't fake to first but you can fake to the other bases? you'd think it would be illegal or legal for every base.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 02:02 AM)
does anyone know the reason you can't fake to first but you can fake to the other bases? you'd think it would be illegal or legal for every base.

courtesy answerbag.com

What is the logic behind the rule that a pitcher cannot fake a pitch to 1st base without balking but can fake to 3rd without balking?

The logic behind it is that a runner on first is not in scoring position and a force play at second is in effect. The runner on first wants to steal the next base far more than a runner at second...

I hadn't thought about the RISP, but I kind of figured the guaranteed force at 2B had something to do with it. Not sure why exactly. I also thought perhaps the runner on 1B being held about 99.9% of the time may have had something to do with it too, but you can do the same thing at 2B or 3B(not smart, but you can do it), and faking a throw is still legal.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 08:09 AM)
We were hosed on a lot more that that call. That has to be the worst crew of the year. "What are you doing Brian Gorman"

Crew M

Davis, Gerry - cc

Gorman, Brian

Cooper, Eric

Miller, Bill

Cooper is a one man wrecking crew. I don't actually believe the guy sits there and says I'm gonna make any close calls against the sox, but it sure seems like that's what happens.

Eric Cooper : White Sox :: Andy Van Hellemond : Blackhawks

QUOTE(Shamrock4Life @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
i agree that I think the fake 3rd to FAKE first should be a balk. just on that fact that a pitcher cannot fake a pick off throw to first in the first place. but not fake third to first.

but the reason it isn't is because the rules say that the pitcher does not need to throw to 2nd or 3rd when he steps directly to the bag. but he has to to first. but since usually a pitcher doing the 3rd to first move step offs the rubber during the fake to 3rd portion, the pitcher is no longer in contact with the rubber, thus technically, an infielder. but a quick move where the pitcher does not step off the rubber when faking to 3rd, is a balk.

I found it interesting that this play was detailed in the rules.

well it's more than "faking a pickof to 1st" after you have faked the pickoff to 3rd you become a fielder, at which point he's just another fielder faking to 1st.

edit: i just read the 2nd half of your post...haha

Edited by Maverick0984

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
Lousy umpiring, I'll agree, but how 'bout if Thome gets a hit instead of meekly bouncing out?

And its just that easy...

Eric Cooper is the only umpire's name I know, and I've known it for a few years now. He's the worst umpire in baseball. I would say he has something against the Sox, except for the fact that he pretty much always sucks.

Anyone recall Crede's homerun in Baltimore in 03 that was 10 ft fair?

No worries, Cooper didn't see it either...

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
And its just that easy...

Eric Cooper is the only umpire's name I know, and I've known it for a few years now. He's the worst umpire in baseball. I would say he has something against the Sox, except for the fact that he pretty much always sucks.

Anyone recall Crede's homerun in Baltimore in 03 that was 10 ft fair?

No worries, Cooper didn't see it either...

Who doesn't recall Crede's non-homer? It was the call of the night on Sportscenter.

I also recall us going on a pretty big funk right after that too.