8/12 @ 12:20 PM Game Thread

GoRowand33

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
And of course, you can only do what we're trying to do with our pen if you get good starting pitching.

The Angels were able to use a strong pen to get them a world series title. There rotation that year was horrid, especially in the post-season, but they got 5 or 6 innings out of the starters and than just turned it to the pen and came back.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
The Angels were able to use a strong pen to get them a world series title. There rotation that year was horrid, especially in the post-season, but they got 5 or 6 innings out of the starters and than just turned it to the pen and came back.

Exactly, a 5 inning, 3 ER game might not look good in terms of ERA, but that will keep you in every game. That's why I get so frustrated when Ozzie leaves the starters in, and they go from 6 innings, 3 ER to 6.1 innings-5 ER.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
Exactly, a 5 inning, 3 ER game might not look good in terms of ERA, but that will keep you in every game. That's why I get so frustrated when Ozzie leaves the starters in, and they go from 6 innings, 3 ER to 6.1 innings-5 ER.

Fact of the matter is we can't go all season with that, but I think the plan (if the team gets into the post-season) will be to use the pen a lot in the playoffs (as opposed to last year) unless our starters turn things around before than. Otherwise tell em to go 5 and hope our pen arms can do the rest.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
Fact of the matter is we can't go all season with that, but I think the plan (if the team gets into the post-season) will be to use the pen a lot in the playoffs (as opposed to last year) unless our starters turn things around before than. Otherwise tell em to go 5 and hope our pen arms can do the rest.

We're only 3 weeks away from Sept. call-ups, so that might help our bullpen cover those innings.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
Gooch is gonna get nailed in the face one of these days.

Thats was I was just thinking. He closes off when he approaches the plate, and that ball is riding in.

To win tomorrows game, we need to blindfold freddy, drive him in from a part of the city he has never been to, tell him its a road day game, then tell him the Tigers are good, show him a copy of the standings. Have him a simulated 1st inning, and then we have a chance.