The Marlins...Again!

beautox

Whats everyones take on the Marlins and the hunt for the WC? They're 4.5 out and have to jump 6 teams and get over .500 to take the WC lead. They currently stand 54W 61L; The Reds lead it with a record of 59W 57L.

Everyone knows pitching wins, and they are stacked. In June they were the hottest team in baseball, and with their rotation they can easily reel off long win streaks.

Dontrelle Willis 7-9, 4.08ERA, 1.49WHIP, 58 BB 105 SO

Scott Olsen 9-5, 3.92ERA, 1.29WHIP, 52 BB 117 SO

Josh Johnson 10-6, 2.69ERA, 1.28WHIP, 56 BB 109 SO * Current NL ERA Leader

Ricky Nolasco 10-7, 4.15ERA, 1.33WHIP, 29 BB 71 SO

Anibal Sanchez 4-2, 4.13ERA, 1.30WHIP, 22 BB 27 SO

Discuss.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always fun to root for the Marlins because the way they run their org. is fun and cool. That said, it's a longshot. They don't have the consistency to pull it off this year. If the NL still sucks next year they should be one of the favorites for the wild card.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
Joe Girardi is one helluva manager

Too bad Jeffrey Loria doesn't think so. :lol:

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 12:58 AM)
Cubs fans are green with envy. 2 World Series Titles in 15 years of baseball. With the suckfest that is the NL, the Marlins could go to their 3rd World Series.

And could Girardi be managing the Cubs next season? :o

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
Cubs fans are green with envy. 2 World Series Titles in 15 years of baseball. With the suckfest that is the NL, the Marlins could go to their 3rd World Series.

Hell, I was green with envy before last year. I was also envious when the Royals, Blue Jays, DBacks, Mets, etc (all expansion teams that won WS since I've been a baseball fan).

When i was in College, Scott Olsen (then in high school) came to visit at my school. He came to a fraternity party my frat was holding at an off-campus house.

He drank so much he puked all over my friends apartment. A guy in my fraternity, came over, picked his ass up from the back of his belt, and dragged him out of the party. When he was outside, a few of my other friends (who didn't even live in the house Olsen threw up in) threatened to kick the crap out of him if he didn't give them money to clean the carpet. Olsen gave them 50 bucks and ran like the wind...

We used the 50 bucks to get another keg.

Ah... those were the golden days. I get a kick out of the fact that he's now a major leaguer... maybe one day I heckle him at a game and remind him of that fateful night.

Edited by AbeFroman

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Believe it or not, if you ask a Marlin fan, most would agree they'd have more wins if Girardi wasn't such a bad in game manager.

White Sox fans said that about a certain someone too. The next year they won 99 games and the World Series.

Not making a direct comparison between Girardi and Guillen...just saying that poor in game managing does not make him a bad manager. I'm not sure the Marlins are even close to floating without Girardi.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
White Sox fans said that about a certain someone too. The next year they won 99 games and the World Series.

Not making a direct comparison between Girardi and Guillen...just saying that poor in game managing does not make him a bad manager. I'm not sure the Marlins are even close to floating without Girardi.

Yeah, I agree with you. I don't agree with the notion of a "good game manager". Sure, you can optimize your decisions to win any given game (and I'm sure Ozzie could do it, too), but you have to manage an entire season, you have to manage a certain way. I think Ozzie's pretty good at that and I feel like Girardi is, too.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
Yeah, I agree with you. I don't agree with the notion of a "good game manager". Sure, you can optimize your decisions to win any given game (and I'm sure Ozzie could do it, too), but you have to manage an entire season, you have to manage a certain way. I think Ozzie's pretty good at that and I feel like Girardi is, too.

I haven't seen Girardi manage much, seeing as how Florida is on the other side of the world, I do not have Extra Innings, and they are on ESPN or Fox like once a year, but I imagine he, like Ozzie, knows when he can f*** around and when he cannot.

at the beginning i made the statement that florida would be much better than expected. i was shunned. (ok not quite that bad, but pretty shot down).

HA! WHO ROCKS NOW???

... gotta take it where i can get it ya know.

Loria is a friggin moron

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2547478

Asked if Loria had fired him and changed his mind, Girardi said "I'll discuss things at the end of the year. Right now the important thing is our club, and I'm still the manager of the Marlins

Methinks he doesnt plan on being manager at the end of the year

Edited by kyyle23