Switching Fields

aboz56

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- When rosters expand on Sept. 1 and Josh Fields gets the call to the Majors with a handful of his Minor League cohorts who also have earned the brief promotion, don't look for the youngster to get much playing time. Not with the White Sox in hot pursuit of their second straight playoff berth.

If Fields does get a chance to play in a game or two, it certainly won't be in the outfield. That experiment won't truly begin for Fields until winter ball, according to Dave Wilder, the club's Minor League director.

"It's something we will discuss later, but [Fields] will play third base and some left field when he goes over to Venezuela," said Wilder. "He's taking fly balls right now, and he's a good enough athlete to make that transition."

Fields has made huge strides in just his second full season focused on baseball, matching the same big developmental jump he made in 2005. In fact, when Wilder was asked for the 2006 surprise from the White Sox farm system, he pointed to the third baseman for Triple-A Charlotte.

"He hit [.252] in Double-A, and then he becomes one of the best hitters, if not the best hitter, in that [international] League," Wilder said. "It says a lot for the kid.

"Each year, he gets better and has made adjustments. You are talking about a guy who has a chance to be an impact hitter, along with being an impact player."

Entering Friday's contest, Fields led the International League with 71 runs scored, ranked third in slugging percentage (.528) and was tied for third with his .317 average for the playoff-bound Knights. Fields also has 16 home runs, 60 RBIs and 21 stolen bases, although he would not be a leadoff hitter, even with that speed.

Having Joe Crede at third base makes it tough for Fields to stay at his natural position, although he has improved defensively. So, his move to the outfield, and his ensuing move to the White Sox, could begin sooner than later.

"All he needs is some time to go out there and play, and the winter will be enough," said Wilder of the team's 2004 first-round draft pick. "He'll be a good defensive player at third or left field, wherever he ends up."

Bye bye, Pods.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:10 AM)
I like Fields and all, but Sweeney is really exciting me at this point.

It's an odd scenario. Do you want a guy in LF next year that will hit .260ish with lots of k's/walks, 20+ homers, 15 SBs, big-time RBI potential, but possibly a few errors in left or a guy who will hit .300, walk little, strike out little, play great D, steal 10 bases and have 10-14 HRs? It's an interesting decision that will have to be made.

I don't know how anyone could possibly project Fields to hit .260 with 20 homers next year. He does have impressive numbers at Charlotte, but strikes out a ton, and there will be a learning curve for him. Hopefully he does better than Anderson has this season, but I wouldn't count on too much more in 2007.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
I don't know how anyone could possibly project Fields to hit .260 with 20 homers next year. He does have impressive numbers at Charlotte, but strikes out a ton, and there will be a learning curve for him. Hopefully he does better than Anderson has this season, but I wouldn't count on too much more in 2007.

Mackowiac platooning with Fields in LF looks a lot better than him platooning with Anderson in CF. That should allow Fields to ease into his spot a bit easier.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
It's an odd scenario. Do you want a guy in LF next year that will hit .260ish with lots of k's/walks, 20+ homers, 15 SBs, big-time RBI potential, but possibly a few errors in left or a guy who will hit .300, walk little, strike out little, play great D, steal 10 bases and have 10-14 HRs? It's an interesting decision that will have to be made.

I don't think Sweeney would hit 10-14 at the MLB level. He does project as a solid AVG guy who will hit a lot of doubles though.

His highest HR totals have come this year (11) at Charlotte and that's a big time hitters park.

It's a nice problem for us to have though with both of these guys coming along nicely. It also puts the heat on BA to step it up offensively going into next year with a guy like Sweeney waiting in the wings who is capable of playing CF.

I am cautiously optimistic the Sox will lock up Crede, but with Boras you just never know. Its nice to know we have a possible stud in Fields that will be able to play 3B but hopefully also learn the OF.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)
Point 1: Pablo Ozuna did not have a lot of outfield practice before becoming our fourth outfielder this year.

Point 2: If Fields or Sweeney is in LF next year, we still need a lead off hitter.

We need a leadoff hitter now.

The only other way I can see getting a leadoff hitter on this team is at shortstop. And with what has happened with Uribe recently, I wouldn't rule it out.

And that's if you want Josh Fields to play LF next season. You could go a Dellucci or Matthews Jr. instead for a couple of years.

But that would most likely have to come through a trade (getting a leadoff hitting SS), unless you wanted Iguchi to leadoff, but I don't want him to move from the #2 spot.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
The only other way I can see getting a leadoff hitter on this team is at shortstop. And with what has happened with Uribe recently, I wouldn't rule it out.

And that's if you want Josh Fields to play LF next season. You could go a Dellucci or Matthews Jr. instead for a couple of years.

But that would most likely have to come through a trade (getting a leadoff hitting SS), unless you wanted Iguchi to leadoff, but I don't want him to move from the #2 spot.

This is the only objection I have in dumping Pods. We still need a lead off man, and there are not many open positions to plug a lead off man in to. If Fields or Sweeney became the starting LF next year, out best lead off options might be Brian Anderson or Juan Uribe (gulp).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
While its moronic to think Kenny will not be going after Free Agents, I think that quote does have some validity to it. I believe there will be two or three team altering moves( a move like Stewart getting the backup job doesnt fit this bill) that will take place this off season, and them all via trade. I still think Freddy gets moved in a package, maybe for a new leadoff hitter, or maybe for some prospects to re-stock the system.

I'll be shocked if we go after any impact players in the FA market this offseason.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
This is the only objection I have in dumping Pods. We still need a lead off man, and there are not many open positions to plug a lead off man in to. If Fields or Sweeney became the starting LF next year, out best lead off options might be Brian Anderson or Juan Uribe (gulp).

Unless Kenny deals Uribe and signs a shortstop like Julio Lugo, who if I'm not mistaken is a free agent....

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)

Fields doesn't draw lots of walks now at the AAA level. His plate discipline is lacking and he would not get walks with any consistency at the major league level. I'd bet on Sweeney drawing more walks than Fields.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
I suggested it once, but thats cause I love Ross Gload. One of my favorite hitters in baseball (and I'm being serious when I say that).

You know how I know you're gay, cuz you love Ross Gload. :P

Edited by Brian