Switching Fields

aboz56

QUOTE(Wedge @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
Dumb idea, but what about Gload in LF batting lead-off?

I suggested this before and nobody responded. Gload hits better, defense is a wash, Pods is faster but sure does not look like it on the bases. You have my endorsement Wedge.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
does the defecting Cuban 2nd baseman the sox are allegedly going after have the speed to lead off?

I heard he already was headed to the Yankees I did not here the Sox were making a play for him.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id love if we made a play for Rollins... he isnt great but he is possibly the best option for us if we plan to have Fields/Sweeney in LF next year. Also Fields has really blossumed this year and I think he could do better than most give him credit for. Im not expecting anything amazing but better than what Brian is doing at the plate this season.

Also id hope Anderson could raise that batting average above the .250 mark and add some pop next season as well. He has made the adjustment with his swing so will be interesting what he does with it for a full season.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
I wouldn't mind seeing Jerry Owens as the left fielder next season. He is hitting much better the second half, and has hit at every level. He has 37 SB and has only been caught 11 times. He could at least be as good as Pods but much cheaper.

Call him up and you have Pods Light. People don't like Regular Pods.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
The only other way I can see getting a leadoff hitter on this team is at shortstop. And with what has happened with Uribe recently, I wouldn't rule it out.

And that's if you want Josh Fields to play LF next season. You could go a Dellucci or Matthews Jr. instead for a couple of years.

But that would most likely have to come through a trade (getting a leadoff hitting SS), unless you wanted Iguchi to leadoff, but I don't want him to move from the #2 spot.

Isn't Lugo a FA next year? and if so, then pick him up deal podsednik and uribe for something, place Fields in LF, let Ryan continue to devlop at AAA. If not maybe KW can pursue Chris Denorfia, he just got sent back down to AAA Louisville Bats(reds), to make room for Todd Hollandsworth. The reds have a log jam of OFers, and they already have their leadoff hitter in Freel. Denorfia started in CF for the AAA allstar game, can play all 3 OF positions incredibly well and is above average in CF, which would lead me to believe he could be amazing in LF. Hes their best defensive OF, and has the best strike zone discipline. Chris also has great character, hes been in their organization since 02, and has been nothing but class, from all the articles and interviews i've read about him. He just turned 26 on 7/15. Now what would it take to acquire him? my guess would be Freddy Garcia and maybe Harrell.

QUOTE(beautox @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
Isn't Lugo a FA next year? and if so, then pick him up deal podsednik and uribe for something, place Fields in LF, let Ryan continue to devlop at AAA. If not maybe KW can pursue Chris Denorfia, he just got sent back down to AAA Louisville Bats(reds), to make room for Todd Hollandsworth. The reds have a log jam of OFers, and they already have their leadoff hitter in Freel. Denorfia started in CF for the AAA allstar game, can play all 3 OF positions incredibly well and is above average in CF, which would lead me to believe he could be amazing in LF. Hes their best defensive OF, and has the best strike zone discipline. Chris also has great character, hes been in their organization since 02, and has been nothing but class, from all the articles and interviews i've read about him. He just turned 26 on 7/15. Now what would it take to acquire him? my guess would be Freddy Garcia and maybe Harrell.

Yeah Lugo's a FA, but he wants a 5 year 40M contract as a MINIMUM, and they guy's very error prone as a SS, which is a big no-no for Ozzie.

I would think the Reds would jump at Garcia for Denforia ALONE. Freddy will have value as a trade chip to teams in the N.L this off-season like Philly, Cincinatti and San Diego just to name a few.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 03:16 AM)
Yeah Lugo's a FA, but he wants a 5 year 40M contract as a MINIMUM, and they guy's very error prone as a SS, which is a big no-no for Ozzie.

I would think the Reds would jump at Garcia for Denforia ALONE. Freddy will have value as a trade chip to teams in the N.L this off-season like Philly, Cincinatti and San Diego just to name a few.

A solid, proven veteran starting pitcher for what is probably a 6th outfielder? Ummm, yeah, I'd say they'd jump on that.

I posted somewhere else that Levine said yesterday that he has heard the Sox have interest in Juan Pierre to play LF next year, and that Pods was on his way out. While I know Ozzie is a huge fan of Pierre, I couldn't see the Sox giving him more than a 2 year contract. I also find it interesting that Sweeney has been leading off in Charlotte.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
I posted somewhere else that Levine said yesterday that he has heard the Sox have interest in Juan Pierre to play LF next year, and that Pods was on his way out. While I know Ozzie is a huge fan of Pierre, I couldn't see the Sox giving him more than a 2 year contract. I also find it interesting that Sweeney has been leading off in Charlotte.

Yeah I would figure Pierre will easily get a 3 or 4 year deal this off-season. A team like the Giants would probably offer him that as they need a leadoff hitter pretty badly.

There are other and better options in FA like Dellucci, Matthews Jr. etc. to consider as well. And don't forget we can trade Pods as well, because he's arbitration eligible. I figure some NL team like the Pirates would like to have a leadoff hitter of his stature compared to the great talent of Chris Duffy. :D

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bye bye, Pods.

I don't like Pods either, but who leads off? Do we get a SS that can leadoff? If so, who? Does Iguchi leadoff and, maybe Crede, BA, or Uribe hits second? I don't really like that scenario. This just creates a huge hole at the top of the order, which I don't like.

Here is a question for you folks who follow our farm system more closely than I do...

Who of our AA and AAA outfielders could play LF AND be a better leadoff hitter (immediately or eventually) than Pods? Does Sweeney have some speed, and can he get on base enough? Fields, same questions, plus add in the issue of playing OF defense. Does Owens have the stuff to be ready in 2007, or is he not ready yet? Who else might be a possibility?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 08:15 AM)
Here is a question for you folks who follow our farm system more closely than I do...

Who of our AA and AAA outfielders could play LF AND be a better leadoff hitter (immediately or eventually) than Pods? Does Sweeney have some speed, and can he get on base enough? Fields, same questions, plus add in the issue of playing OF defense. Does Owens have the stuff to be ready in 2007, or is he not ready yet? Who else might be a possibility?

I don't think its all that necessary to have the typical leadoff guy as a leadoff man. Detroit has done fine with Granderson leading off, and he's far from typical. He has 8 steals and strikes out more than Thome. Detroit has been winning this season just like the Sox were last, as a result of excellent pitching. I think the Sox definitely want a better player in LF than Pods and they have young guys and money to get that done. That's why I'm intrigued with Sweeney leading off right now. He's not going to steal a ton, but I believe he will get on base. It may be too much to ask for a rookie however. Regardless, it will not matter who is leading off if the Sox pitch like they did in 2005. They would win most of the time.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 08:22 AM)
I don't think its all that necessary to have the typical leadoff guy as a leadoff man. Detroit has done fine with Granderson leading off, and he's far from typical. He has 8 steals and strikes out more than Thome. Detroit has been winning this season just like the Sox were last, as a result of excellent pitching. I think the Sox definitely want a better player in LF than Pods and they have young guys and money to get that done. That's why I'm intrigued with Sweeney leading off right now. He's not going to steal a ton, but I believe he will get on base. It may be too much to ask for a rookie however. Regardless, it will not matter who is leading off if the Sox pitch like they did in 2005. They would win most of the time.

While I agree that speed is not necessary for a leadoff hitter (though I think its awfully good to have), my big focus is OBP. Who of that troop of outfielders is most likely to be able to go .350+ consistently at the ML level? And if there are a couple that are both there, speed may be the factor that pushes one past the other.

I'm not clear on Iguchi's status next year but, he is one of our better disciplined players at the plate. If he is part of the picture for '07, why not have him lead off??? He seems like he could be a Johnny Damonesque lead off hitter - decent power and steals.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
Let Pods go and sign Carlos Lee. Rectify the mistake that we made two years ago.

I don't know if it was a mistake, with the year Pods had as we won the World Series and all (plus Vizcaino was decent). I doubt we spend that kinda money on a FA outfielder too, and Lee seems destined to end up with the Cubs.

I'd like to see Mack starting in LF next year. Maybe even this year. Then let whomever matures out of AA and AAA come in at a reasonable pace - no need to rush them.

Mack has 40 more OBP points, plays better D, has a better arm, has good speed, can bunt, BB and K about the same as Pods, and hustles like hell.

Yeah, I know, he's not done well against lefties (.279 OBP), but Pods is just as bad (.281), and Mack hasn't gotten to see many of them yet.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
I'd like to see Mack starting in LF next year. Maybe even this year. Then let whomever matures out of AA and AAA come in at a reasonable pace - no need to rush them.

Mack has 40 more OBP points, plays better D, has a better arm, has good speed, can bunt, BB and K about the same as Pods, and hustles like hell.

Yeah, I know, he's not done well against lefties (.279 OBP), but Pods is just as bad (.281), and Mack hasn't gotten to see many of them yet.

If we had a righty who could also play LF...Mack would make an ideal platoon partner out there.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 09:10 AM)
I don't know why Crawford would be available, isn't he signed at a fair contract for a player of his calibur through like 2010?

The whole idea behind Crawford being available I believe is that a.) He's not going to be resigned by Tampa if he hits the FA Market, b.) his value in a trade is very high around the entire league right now, c.) Tampa isn't going to be ready to compete in the AL until a few years down the road, i.e. right around when Crawford is looking at leaving as a FA, and d.) They have a lot of other potential outfield talent heading up through their system.