Dye V Maggs

TLAK

I sat next to some folks from Michigan last night and they were rating Magglio Ordonez higher than Jermaine Dye. I knew it was ludicrous but I didn’t realize just how crazy until I looked at these numbers this morning. Not only is he out playing Maggs by a good margin but the $11 million difference in salary equates to a stud starting pitcher.

Hindsight is 20-20 but you have to say Thank You Scott Boras!

And a salute to KW for picking up JD, I can’t think of another free agent signing that so perfectly met a teams needs, both on the field and financially. :notworthy

QUOTE(TLAK @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
I sat next to some folks from Michigan last night and they were rating Magglio Ordonez higher than Jermaine Dye. I knew it was ludicrous but I didn’t realize just how crazy until I looked at these numbers this morning. Not only is he out playing Maggs by a good margin but the $11 million difference in salary equates to a stud starting pitcher.

Hindsight is 20-20 but you have to say Thank You Scott Boras!

And a salute to KW for picking up JD, I can’t think of another free agent signing that so perfectly met a teams needs, both on the field and financially. :notworthy

Quite frankly, JD has been one of the best FA signings in White Sox history.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 12:33 AM)
Fans bitterness at Magglio rejecting the Sox contract offer always confused me. There is no way the Sox win the WS last year if he signed it, and Dye is going to get paid in 3 years what Magglio makes in 1, and has been more productive.

Yeah that situation has pretty much worked out perfectly for us, and it could have been a lot worse had Dye not met expectations here.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Yeah that situation has pretty much worked out perfectly for us, and it could have been a lot worse had Dye not met expectations here.

It's worked out great for us and for Jermaine. Thank goodness he's a man who sticks by his word and didn't take that deal from Arizona.

I don't see how Detroit fans could argue that Maggs has been the better player this year (last year we won't even discuss!)

Jermaine, .325, 30, 87, and leads all of baseball with a 1.025 OPS

Maggs, .297, 16, 79, .816 OPS

it's not even debatable.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
It's worked out great for us and for Jermaine. Thank goodness he's a man who sticks by his word and didn't take that deal from Arizona.

Thought it was Texas, but in any case, it's been great. Not to mention this guys D. Maggs is a good right fielder, but I think JD is about as good as it gets out there, with the exception of Ichiro.

Jermaine has been a blast to watch. He was a little rusty in the beginning, but damn, he has proved to be an excellent catch for us.

Maggs does look a little goofy with the longish hair. Seriously though, it seems like he is doing well enough for the Tigers. Works out for both teams, just is costing the Tigers a good bit more cash for the results.

Edited by Queen Prawn

I have no argument against Maggs being an all-star caliber player and quite possibly we would have won the pennant anyway. But, from what I have seen of Jermaine Dye over the last couple years with the Sox, I think he is just as good and maybe better than Maggs and a better fit for the type of baseball we are playing under Ozzie. He is a talented unselfish player who just goes out everyday and gives his best everytime. I am really believing he is our MVP. I am hoping we keep Jermaine Dye for several more years.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Thought it was Texas, but in any case, it's been great. Not to mention this guys D. Maggs is a good right fielder, but I think JD is about as good as it gets out there, with the exception of Ichiro.

I hope your kidding.... I love his arm in the OF and the balls that are in his zone he tends to always make the play but he has such a small range in the OF and he seems soo slow when he is out there too.

QUOTE(Bonderman38 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
Who ever said that needs to have a mental checkup.

They were going over the line ups before the game, playing which one would you take. The White Sox they took were Kornerko over Casey, Thome over Young and Crede over Inge. They went with the Tigers everywhere else.

So they were homers -like we don't have any around here.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 07:28 AM)
Absolutely.

JD's been everything we could have asked for, and more.

Best of all, he's all class. It was a fantastic move and JD will always get cheered by me for what he's done in a Sox uni. I hope we can get a few more good years out of him with him eventually moving to LF.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
Dye is having a career year where I think Maggs is past his prime. He is still good, but his dominating days are gone IMO.

Maggs is one of those guys I would want up in a clutch situation. He's a very good all around hitter, a solid defensive player and he's 100% healthy. He's got plenty of above average years left, imo. However, thus far this year, Dye is on another league than pretty much any other RFer in baseball.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
I hope your kidding.... I love his arm in the OF and the balls that are in his zone he tends to always make the play but he has such a small range in the OF and he seems soo slow when he is out there too.

I'm 100% convinced that he is one of those guys that looks slow, yet has just fine range. For example, you watch Vladdy run and he looks ridiculously slow, but the gigantic strides he takes makes him actually fast.

I'm not talking about Vlad's defense though, cause I'd be the first to say he's as bad of a RFer as anyone in baseball. I think JD is a little above average defensively.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
I'll always be a Magglio fan. I'm not one to dismiss a guy because he doesn't happen to play for my team anymore. But there's only 4 or 5 players in all of baseball, IMO, that have been better than Dye this year. Maggs is not one of them.

Who would they be?

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
Who would they be?

Definitely Pujols and Big Sloppy. I have to really think hard after that. Ryan Howard is another guy. Travis Hafner? But he doesn't have anywhere near the amount of clutch hits Dye has.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

I completely agree with those who've said Dye is one of the best FA signings in team history. It's amazing to think of how many good FA's Williams signed last year - AJ, Iguchi, Hermanson... and Dye was the best of the bunch. This season the Maggs vs. Dye argument is a no-brainer, and if you factor in MVP of the '05 world series it's an absolute joke.