We win tomorrow and we win this division

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
Boston's playing like s*** right now, and Kansas City always plays us well. This ain't no picnic, friends.

I don't think I'd say Boston's playing like s***. Recently, as of the middle of the week, they were playing piss-poor, seeing as how they were swept by KC. A 9-2 win last night, plus coming back from a 7-3 deficit today and tying the game seems pretty big to me.

If I'm thinking right, the matchups are Bonderman-Schilling, Robertson-Beckett, and Verlander-Wells...though that may be wrong.

Also, unless this team just suddenly hits a wall, it's 3 of 4 from KC at the minimum. KC's playing with a little fire, but fire is usually put out with more fire and a little talent.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
Tomorrow is a completely HUGE game.

Winning 2/3 and gaining only 1 game on Det, nothing.

Sweeping and gaining 3 games=right back in the division.

HUGE GAME

We would gain 4.5 games in 6 days, that would be awesome. Time for Freddy to throw just like he did last time against the Tigers at the Cell.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
We need Crede to keep hitting DP balls to third. It seems to be working nicely this week.

The other 3b's are just in awe of Joe so they throw it away.

Tomorrow is absolutely huge and it could easily make the difference in this division down the stretch. I'll feel a ton better about our chances if we win tomorrow. I think it's kind of ridiculous to say we'll win the division if we win tomorrow but we'll definitely be much closer than if we lose.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
There is still ALOT of baseball left, but this series is so big for both clubs not only in the standings, but the mentality of both clubs. If the Sox can sweep "The Best Team in Baseball", and cut the lead to 5.5, things look great.

With the two game swing at hand tomorrow, 5.5 and 7.5 are a huge difference in Mid August.

It's big - but not essential. We need to play .667 baseball the rest of the way, and we'll be in the playoffs. One game at a time!!

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 01:42 AM)
Your right.

However, we are not talking about just getting into the playoffs, at least in this thread. This is about winning the divison, and IMO just winning the series isn't going to cut it.

(Kap, you know I have no problem with the wild card, its just about the playoffs, but this thread is about winning the division)

Yea, I see what you mean. I'm of the opinion actually, if we play .667 the rest of the way, we could just catch Detroit, because I think they're about a .500 team the rest of the way, which still gives them the mid 90s in win total, if I remember right (too lazy to look at the standings).

QUOTE(Wedge @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
where's the guy that predicted we'd go like 60-12 after the ASB? That was hilarious.

His preseason post was just as good, although he did edit it with more "realistic" predictions.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
I believe Poppy was banned.

Whoever did that, :cheers

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
Yea, I see what you mean. I'm of the opinion actually, if we play .667 the rest of the way, we could just catch Detroit, because I think they're about a .500 team the rest of the way, which still gives them the mid 90s in win total, if I remember right (too lazy to look at the standings).

If the Tigers play .500 they will win 99. If the Sox play .667, they will win 100. The bottom line for the Sox if they want to catch Detroit is they are going to have to pummell them head to head.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
who's with me

Me.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
There is still ALOT of baseball left, but this series is so big for both clubs not only in the standings, but the mentality of both clubs. If the Sox can sweep "The Best Team in Baseball", and cut the lead to 5.5, things look great.

With the two game swing at hand tomorrow, 5.5 and 7.5 are a huge difference in Mid August.

You got that right!

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)

Man, that's pretty wishful thinking IMHO, that is, that Detroit will play .500 ball. They have shown that they are a solid team. They'll play .600 ball, I'll bet.

QUOTE(PA32R @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
Man, that's pretty wishful thinking IMHO, that is, that Detroit will play .500 ball. They have shown that they are a solid team. They'll play .600 ball, I'll bet.

They're a very solid team but I still don't think they're a 100 win team. That being said if they play 500 ball the rest of the way then they still win 99 games so it's not out of the question for them to play .500 ball the rest of the way because they played at such a ridiculous pace the whole year so far.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
They're a very solid team but I still don't think they're a 100 win team. That being said if they play 500 ball the rest of the way then they still win 99 games so it's not out of the question for them to play .500 ball the rest of the way because they played at such a ridiculous pace the whole year so far.

I'll go out on a limb and say they'll win at least 101 games. If they don't - BOO YA!

QUOTE(PA32R @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
I'll go out on a limb and say they'll win at least 101 games. If they don't - BOO YA!

I wouldn't doubt it but I also think it's very possible that they COULD play a bit under .500 or right at it the rest of the year. I don't want anyone to think that I'm taking anything away from that team because they've been just unreal but I just don't think they're this good. I'll probably be wrong as usual though. ;)

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
I wouldn't doubt it but I also think it's very possible that they COULD play a bit under .500 or right at it the rest of the year. I don't want anyone to think that I'm taking anything away from that team because they've been just unreal but I just don't think they're this good. I'll probably be wrong as usual though. ;)

I hope to congratulate you at the end of the season on your perspicacity. :D

i think it all depends on what sox show up this next series...red sox that is, if the red sox that got swept by the royals then we're gonna have a lot of work to do, but on the other hand if its the red sox that just swept the O's and the can continue by beatin up the tigers for us then i predict we will be in first place by august 25th.