8/12 @ 1:05 PM Game Thread

GoRowand33

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 07:27 PM)
No, winning today will be harder if we turned things to the pen NOW. We don't have a guy that can just go out and throw 3 or 4 innings since Ozzie doesn't seem to use Bmac in that way and well thats life, we can't just magically change things.

It would be absolutely assinine to go to the pen right now, after using it yesterday. We can't just destroy our pen consistently using 4 or 5 guys a game. IN the post-season you can chance that cause of the off-days, you can't do it when you have the stretch of consecutive games that this team has right now.

We have a bullpen that should have everyone available besides MacDougal. This is one of the biggest games for the Sox all season, as it would rejuvenate them in regards to the AL Central.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
We caught a break in that the last ball did not leave the ballpark.

Technically we didn't catch a break though, a break would be a bad call or an error or something of that nature, that was just a hard hit shot and I would have been shocked if it left the building.

Had it stayed ruled a HR than it would have been a break for the Tigers.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
We caught a break in that the last ball did not leave the ballpark.

that's not "catching a break." catching a break is getting the positive side of a close call, there was no break, he crushed it, end of story.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
We have a bullpen that should have everyone available besides MacDougal. This is one of the biggest games for the Sox all season, as it would rejuvenate them in regards to the AL Central.

Show me a manager using his relievers in the 4th inning on a consistent basis and I show you a team thats gonna suck ass and lose way more games than it wins.

Its one thing if we are getting shelled or if we had an off-day or if Freddy doesn't have a history of actually sucking for 3 innings than putting it together for 2 innings.

Infield hit for BA or an error

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 12:28 PM)
That I wouldn't have as much of a problem with, but you can't go in the 4th inning, thats way too early.

You can't do it every game, but if you have to do it 1 time out of each time through the rotation, and you have a long man in your bullpen, it's tolerable. Last year if we did that, we'd have Viz throw 2 innings, then Cotts, Politte, and Jenks/Hermanson would all pitch, and maybe even Marte also, and our bullpen would be gassed. Mccarthy out there gives you the luxury of taking out a starter every so often if you really need a win, because you can go McCarthy for 3-4 and then Jenks if you have to.

hawk and DJ are wrong, i think the glove hit his arm... it didnt on casey's swing of the arm, but i DO think right at first there's contact w/ brians arm

even so, i love it

edit: maybe not... watched a slow mo'd replay and i cant really tell.

i'll say safe

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
You can't do it every game, but if you have to do it 1 time out of each time through the rotation, and you have a long man in your bullpen, it's tolerable. Last year if we did that, we'd have Viz throw 2 innings, then Cotts, Politte, and Jenks/Hermanson would all pitch, and maybe even Marte also, and our bullpen would be gassed. Mccarthy out there gives you the luxury of taking out a starter every so often if you really need a win, because you can go McCarthy for 3-4 and then Jenks if you have to.

We don't use Brandon that way though. It be another if we have done it on a consistent basis. Also note that I don't think Brandon McCarthy is any better than Freddy. He's been way iffy and way inconsistent all season long. I think that has to do with the way Ozzie's managed him, but bottom line is he's not the savior a lot of you seem to think he is (not the way he's pitched this year).

And this is coming from one of his biggest supporters.

I'm confident Garland can go 7 innings tomorrow. We have 3 relievers in McCarthy, Cotts, and Riske that can go 2 innings if we need them to. If Garcia gets in trouble in the 5th inning, I hope Ozzie isn't afraid to pull him.

Edited by fathom