Preston Wilson DFA

Harry Chappas

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
Houston

Not sure about the attitude but he is average in center but could play left and hit off the bench. I am not sure if anyone has experience with his attitude.

i was wondering why he got released to?

the guy is a strikeout machine. He has struck out 94 times in 390 at bats this year, the astros probably just figured they needed to give those at bats to someone else in the lineup. Only 9 homeruns out of him this year is really surprising too, playing in that ballpark

QUOTE(rafacosta @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 07:58 PM)
Sounds to be a good a idea. What about Frank Catallanotto? Toronto is still in the WC race, but he would be a good OBP #2 hitter, not much speed though.

He can play LF too!

Sooooooooo why exactly would Toronto want to get rid of him then?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
Sooooooooo why exactly would Toronto want to get rid of him then?

They have other OFs that can play in LF. I don't think Blue jays are going to stay on the race for the next 2 weeks...I was just suggesting.

QUOTE(rafacosta @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
They have other OFs that can play in LF. I don't think Blue jays are going to stay on the race for the next 2 weeks...I was just suggesting.

I dont think he would be available to the team leading the Wildcard right now unless they were mathematically out of it

QUOTE(Wanne @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
Seriously...there must be something behind this. Maybe he's got a crap attitude because he expected to be the full-time starter. The guy really doesn't have a lot of plate discipline either.

Very odd. You don't get rid of a guy with splits like that against LHP. I realize he strikes out a lot but there has to be something more. Either he wants more playing time and the Astros told him he wasn't going to get much down the stretch or he's just been a thorn in there sides for a while.

That said I remember Kenny discussing the name Preston Wilson back when he was with the Rockies. I'm a fan of Jose Cruz Jr though because he plays a better CF.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
I dont think he would be available to the team leading the Wildcard right now unless they were mathematically out of it

not to mention he needs to be waiver or dfa'd... there's no point to discuss it.

preston wilson is a good defender, and used soley against lefties would be a fine addition... BUT who do you get rid of to bring him on? Or, I guess with 40-man's coming up...

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)
not to mention he needs to be waiver or dfa'd... there's no point to discuss it.

preston wilson is a good defender, and used soley against lefties would be a fine addition... BUT who do you get rid of to bring him on? Or, I guess with 40-man's coming up...

Only thing I can think of doing is place someone on the DL just before it happens, than squeeze Wilson onto the team just before September so he too is eligible to play in the post-season if we get there and need him.

However, we didn't consider Jose Cruz Jr and I doubt we'll consider Preston Wilson. It appears this team is going to stick it out as is.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
The Astros are starved for offense. If they let him go and he's not hitting against NL pitching in that bandbox, put a fork in him. Preston Wilson blows.

Even on a team starved for offense, you can sometimes only have so many players you use as platoon guys. He may blow, but the question is, does he blow when compared with Pablo Ozuna (post-injury), who has been running as sort of our left field platoon player?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)
Even on a team starved for offense, you can sometimes only have so many players you use as platoon guys. He may blow, but the question is, does he blow when compared with Pablo Ozuna (post-injury), who has been running as sort of our left field platoon player?

So you want to use him as a platoon player but the Astros don't and would rather pay most of his salary to have him play somewhere else? He's a strikeout machine that has been in the NL his entire career and who has an OBP this year lower than Pablo's batting average. Pablo isn't going anywhere, the only guy who would is Gload and Konerko said Gload is the best hitter on the team. He must find Ozzie to be a real dumbass if he gets the fewest ABs on the team. Wilson has been complaining about his situation and would be a malcontent playing strickly against LHP, plus with a month and a half to go in the season probably doesn't have much time to adjust to the AL. I don't see where he's an upgrade at all, unless a time machine someone gives us the 2000-2001 Preston Wilson.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
The Astros are starved for offense. If they let him go and he's not hitting against NL pitching in that bandbox, put a fork in him. Preston Wilson blows.

Luke Scott took over for him as the starter and has been tearing it up for the past month in the bigs as well as for the whole year in AAA. Wilson had no spot on the Astros team. Does not mean Wilson is completely done. If he can accept a part time role, worth a shot, if KW wants a RH bat off the bench.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
Baseball. Although with the year Mack is having, you could debate it. But he's better than Ozuna and Pods easily.

Better careers, Preston Wilson. That said, for there roles I think those guys are better role/bench players. I'm not against the idea of Preston Wilson, but its one thing to just say he could play off the bench and its another for him to come here and be willing to do so.

You got to have a positive attitude about it and I don't think he would.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 04:34 AM)
He's better than Mack, Ozuna, and Pods. And Jose Cruz Jr. effin blows. I'm in on this, although the avatar gives it away obviously.

How does Cruz Jr "blow" to you, yet you have an avatar of Preston Wilson?

He plays a decent CF, according (apparently) to Jason, and his BP defensive stats rate very well in all three OF spots.

Offensively, the past two year against lefties, he's put up OPS' of .951 and .942.

Cruz is really an ideal option for the Sox, as he'd be the perfect platoon for Pods. He also hasn't been a full-time player since 2004, and he'd be coming to one of the best teams in baseball, so I doubt he'd have a problem riding the pine.

Edited by CWSGuy406