Reggie Bush

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 03:28 AM)
I don't believe he has a thick body though. He is not small and thick like Portis or Barry Sanders. He just seems small. He didn't have many injury problems at USC basically because he was not pounding the ball inside and he wasn't getting as many touches as he will in the pros. I really don't believe he is an every down back and will be very shocked if he is ever used that way. We will see of course, but I wouldn't get all hyped up over one preseason play. That is kind of silly.

He is a whole 2 inches taller than Barry Sanders and the exact same weight Barry was during his carer at 203. He is also 1 inch taller than Portis while weighing 2 pounds less. I guess the naked eye is deceiving or you just don't know what you are talking about. Hell, i'm not even a big Bush fan and I realized this.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
I don't believe he has a thick body though. He is not small and thick like Portis or Barry Sanders. He just seems small. He didn't have many injury problems at USC basically because he was not pounding the ball inside and he wasn't getting as many touches as he will in the pros. I really don't believe he is an every down back and will be very shocked if he is ever used that way. We will see of course, but I wouldn't get all hyped up over one preseason play. That is kind of silly.

I would not call Reggie Small. He's actually not small at all.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)
He is a whole 2 inches taller than Barry Sanders and the exact same weight Barry was during his carer at 203. He is also 1 inch taller than Portis while weighing 2 pounds less. I guess the naked eye is deceiving or you just don't know what you are talking about. Hell, i'm not even a big Bush fan and I realized this.

If he's taller and weighs the same, or a little less, then his body would have to be less "thick", which is what ssi was getting at; not height.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:22 AM)
Do you really think an inch or a few pounds is going to make someoone less "thick"?

Honestly, I don't know. I'd have to look at the stats. My impression has been that he is roughly the same build as Portis but does look a bit longer and leaner than Sanders. My main point was just that ssi wasn't talking about height at all. Whether it's significant, I dunno.

But in absolute terms, no, he's not small. He's no Dunn.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, I don't know. I'd have to look at the stats. My impression has been that he is roughly the same build as Portis but does look a bit longer and leaner than Sanders. My main point was just that ssi wasn't talking about height at all. Whether it's significant, I dunno.

But in absolute terms, no, he's not small. He's no Dunn.

True, I was not speaking about height. He may weigh about the same, and I may be wrong, but he just doesn't look as thick as Portis or Sanders to the naked eye. I could be wrong, who knows. And, no, he is not small, he is not Dunn, he is not Joe Morris.

However, there is some reason he was not a full time ball carrier at any point in college. There is a reason that he is in that same situation in the pros. He didn't even look like the best RB on his own team in the national championship game last year. I'm just saying that I am not going to get all giddy over one preseason play and declare him the next Barry Sanders and have his bust ready for the hall of fame. Nor am I going to get all excited because I just drafted him in a keeper league. It was one play in a preseason game.

Will he be good? Sure. How good will he be? How long will he last? How long will his career be? Well, lets wait and see.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 02:59 AM)
True, I was not speaking about height. He may weigh about the same, and I may be wrong, but he just doesn't look as thick as Portis or Sanders to the naked eye. I could be wrong, who knows. And, no, he is not small, he is not Dunn, he is not Joe Morris.

However, there is some reason he was not a full time ball carrier at any point in college. There is a reason that he is in that same situation in the pros. He didn't even look like the best RB on his own team in the national championship game last year. I'm just saying that I am not going to get all giddy over one preseason play and declare him the next Barry Sanders and have his bust ready for the hall of fame. Nor am I going to get all excited because I just drafted him in a keeper league. It was one play in a preseason game.

Will he be good? Sure. How good will he be? How long will he last? How long will his career be? Well, lets wait and see.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=145175

That would be a pretty good reason to me. They had the talent to split the carries and not get either worn down. Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Got them all the way to the national championship game.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=145175

That would be a pretty good reason to me. They had the talent to split the carries and not get either worn down. Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Got them all the way to the national championship game.

That is the only reason? Just because they had LenDale White?

I think the real reason was because of your second comment. It was not to let either get worn down or injured. Also they were used differently. LenDale White was the inside back and Bush was the outside back and receiver. For comparison's sake only, LenDale White is Jerome Bettis and Reggie Bush is Fast Willie Parker. How White/Bush were used at USC is how Bettis/Parker were used last year. Was Willie Parker only used that way because they had Jerome Bettis, or were they concerned about Parker handling the pounding of being an every down back? It seems as it is the second, as they will used Duce Staley in Bettis' old role. So would any other LenDale White type of back produced the same situation? I think it would have.

You are correct, they both worked. However, that does not make Bush as good as Barry Sanders or Clinton Portis. It may make him as good as an undrafted free agent like WIllie Parker though. Willie Parker also looked much better in his championship game with the Steelers than Reggie Bush did in his championship game with the Trojans. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am glad you have one. However, there is no winning this argument at the moment. We will just have to wait and see what he does or doesn't do. No need to be mad because I or anyone else don't/doesn't have the same opinion of Bush as you do.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
That is the only reason? Just because they had LenDale White?

I think the real reason was because of your second comment. It was not to let either get worn down or injured. Also they were used differently. LenDale White was the inside back and Bush was the outside back and receiver. For comparison's sake only, LenDale White is Jerome Bettis and Reggie Bush is Fast Willie Parker. How White/Bush were used at USC is how Bettis/Parker were used last year. Was Willie Parker only used that way because they had Jerome Bettis, or were they concerned about Parker handling the pounding of being an every down back? It seems as it is the second, as they will used Duce Staley in Bettis' old role. So would any other LenDale White type of back produced the same situation? I think it would have.

You are correct, they both worked. However, that does not make Bush as good as Barry Sanders or Clinton Portis. It may make him as good as an undrafted free agent like WIllie Parker though. Willie Parker also looked much better in his championship game with the Steelers than Reggie Bush did in his championship game with the Trojans. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am glad you have one. However, there is no winning this argument at the moment. We will just have to wait and see what he does or doesn't do. No need to be mad because I or anyone else don't/doesn't have the same opinion of Bush as you do.

Completely agree with you there. Any pro prospect drafted this year does not deserve any comparison until they prove they can actually be productive because until then they are just a prospect after all. I think we both feel that Bush can be a very good player or he could be a complete bust out at this point. Good enough for me. :cheers