Has anyone read, "The Onion Field?"

Queen Prawn

It is by Joseph Wambaugh.

The copy I took out of the library is 444 pages long and I am on about page 100.

Normally I really like true crime novels, but so far, this one is just not growing on me as I had hoped. I do not know if it is because this one is grittier than most I have read (and I have read quite a few) or how he is setting up the characters before the crime, itself, happens. I do not find myself rushing to pick it up again, more of a, "if I keep reading it has to get better" attitude towards it.

I searched the title online and found reviews for the movie but stopped reading them as I did not want to know too much before finishing the book.

So, has anyone else read this? What was your take on it? Did you watch the movie after reading the book?

Edited by Queen Prawn

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
It is by Joseph Wambaugh.

The copy I took out of the library is 444 pages long and I am on about page 100.

Normally I really like true crime novels, but so far, this one is just not growing on me as I had hoped. I do not know if it is because this one is grittier than most I have read (and I have read quite a few) or how he is setting up the characters before the crime, itself, happens. I do not find myself rushing to pick it up again, more of a, "if I keep reading it has to get better" attitude towards it.

I searched the title online and found reviews for the movie but stopped reading them as I did not want to know too much before finishing the book.

So, has anyone else read this? What was your take on it? Did you watch the movie after reading the book?

I read it a loong time ago - like most of Wambaugh stuff especially "The Blue Knight" - this one is more fact I believe and pretty grissly- not one of my favorites.