Unacceptable White Sox Loser

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 04:17 AM)
I have a question.

Before his time on the DL. Contreras threw his forkball over the top. He threw a hard 95 to 97 mph fastball. And then would drop down on righties from time to time to give them a different look, and then would use his slider from that angle.

Now after the DL stint. The counts is throwing pretty much side arm all the time. His fastball is down to 91. And with his drop down, the ball seems to sail up in the hitting zone a bit more. He cannot get ontop of his forkball anymore and its either hanging or not dancing.

Now for my question. If you are successful at sometime for a long period of time. Why in the name of God would you decide to completely change how you go about it. Either that bone spur still hurts, or Cooper and Ozzie need to get Jose throwing over the top more

Contreras had a dominant forkball tonight, but he probably only threw it 10 to 15 times. His forkball is his best pitch, by far. When his fastball was good last year/beginning of this year, he threw it about 95 mph with a lot of sink. Now, every fastball is around 91 mph over the heart of the plate. Contreras also throws a lot of sliders, and that's clearly his 3rd best pitch. He's had a lot of damage done against that pitch when he gets underneath it and hangs it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I hung a slider," Contreras said. "I feel bad because I felt so good before the game. I lost concentration after the first homer (to Grudzielanek)."

I expected more mental fortitude out of Contreras. Also, have no fear, Cooper will review video of Vazquez to make sure he's not tipping his pitches.

Edited by fathom

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 04:38 AM)
Dare I ask you, of all people, but was it Ozzie's fault? Or did Count geniunely suck?

Well, our split-squad lineup of Pods, Mackowiak, and Gload in the outfield all messed up at least once tonight. Our offensive approach was awful, as we had at least 10 high pop ups, and guys still are acting like they've never seen a changeup.

Contreras had one horrendous inning, and it started with a bunt, botched pop fly by Pods/Cintron, and then a hanger to Grudz that made it 3-0. Contreras had a great forkball tonight, but rarely used it. Cotts has cemented himself as our worst pitcher on the roster.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 12:43 AM)
Well, our split-squad lineup of Pods, Mackowiak, and Gload in the outfield all messed up at least once tonight. Our offensive approach was awful, as we had at least 10 high pop ups, and guys still are acting like they've never seen a changeup.

So basically, nothing new on the offensive side.

Thanks for the summary, even if its painful :(

Make no mistake about it, this is a good Kansas City ballclub.

Really, there is no reason for the Sox to lose a single game to the Royals. The Sox have a better lineup, better starters, better bench, and a better bullpen entering each game. I would have been OK with winning 3 of 4, but going 2-2 (and that really is no certainty) is pathetic.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 01:57 AM)
Really, there is no reason for the Sox to lose a single game to the Royals. The Sox have a better lineup, better starters, better bench, and a better bullpen entering each game. I would have been OK with winning 3 of 4, but going 2-2 (and that really is no certainty) is pathetic.

Really, there is no reason for the Sox to lose any game to any team in baesball. The Sox have a better lineup, better starters, better bench, and better bullpen than nearly every team on paper. How dare they EVER lose?

I don't usually get too upset about individual losses, but I was ready to punch a hole in the wall last night. Wow.

Anderson has a 6 game hitting streak and is hitting .444 over that span. Ozzie, tell me why this 24 year old needs a rest!

Edited by mreye

I haven't read through this thread yet, but I'm going to add this. This 2006 team doesn't feel the need to show up everyday. The 2005 team came out with something to prove against every single team. They played every game like it meant something, which it did. They had heart. This year's team does not do any of that. They believe they're better than everyone else, and they don't have to prove it. They take off games and entire series.

2005 team = wanted it

2006 team = complacent, don't have anything to prove

That is why this team will never accomplish what the 2005 team did.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
I haven't read through this thread yet, but I'm going to add this. This 2006 team doesn't feel the need to show up everyday. The 2005 team came out with something to prove against every single team. They played every game like it meant something, which it did. They had heart. This year's team does not do any of that. They believe they're better than everyone else, and they don't have to prove it. They take off games and entire series.

2005 team = wanted it

I agree with a lot of what you said. They dont seem as hungry as last year. However, I hope your last statement is not true. IMO this team has what it takes. It is up to Ozzie and the rest of the guys to want it again. They should realize they are the champions until someone knocks them off. But if this team misses the playoffs we are no longer the champions and that would be embarressing.

QUOTE(mreye @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 09:10 AM)
I don't usually get too upset about individual losses, but I was ready to punch a hole in the wall last night. Wow.

Anderson has a 6 game hitting streak and is hitting .444 over that span. Ozzie, tell me why this 24 year old needs a rest!

Ozzie Guillen is a terrible manager and I hope he's gone next year.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
Ozzie Guillen is a terrible manager and I hope he's gone next year.

And now he's getting a free pass from some for not motivating the players. At best, he's an average in-game manager. His strength is supposed to be motivation. If he can't do that, he is like Pods his speed.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)

2005 team = wanted it

In other words, last year you didn't watch the 7 game losing streak in August or the mid-september slide.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 07:48 AM)
Really, there is no reason for the Sox to lose any game to any team in baesball. The Sox have a better lineup, better starters, better bench, and better bullpen than nearly every team on paper. How dare they EVER lose?

Actually, that's not the case at all. If, for example, it's Javy Vazquez against Curt Schilling, then the White Sox don't have an advantage. The Royals have the worst lineup in the AL, the worst pitching in baseball, and the worst record in baseball. But you make a good point.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
In other words, last year you didn't watch the 7 game losing streak in August or the mid-september slide.

I've watched every inning of every game (or listened on the radio in some rare cases) of every game for years. The only times I can't are the few games a year when I'm at school, in which case I follow via Soxtalk and gameday.

The team might've looked passionless or complacent at a couple points last year, but this year's team looks like that on a pretty regular basis. Pretty much any time they're not playing a top team.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Actually, that's not the case at all. If, for example, it's Javy Vazquez against Curt Schilling, then the White Sox don't have an advantage. The Royals have the worst lineup in the AL, the worst pitching in baseball, and the worst record in baseball. But you make a good point.

What you are saying is that the White Sox have the better team in all areas of the game, so they shouldn't ever lose a game to the Royals. If thats true, then the Royals shouldn't beat any team in the AL, since their team is clearly the worst in the league in all aspects of the game.

This is the reason the teams play the games, the game is not won on paper. Am I excusing the Sox losing 2 of the games in this series so far? No. But to say that they should never lose a game against them is ridiculous.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
What you are saying is that the White Sox have the better team in all areas of the game, so they shouldn't ever lose a game to the Royals. If thats true, then the Royals shouldn't beat any team in the AL, since their team is clearly the worst in the league in all aspects of the game.

This is the reason the teams play the games, the game is not won on paper. Am I excusing the Sox losing 2 of the games in this series so far? No. But to say that they should never lose a game against them is ridiculous.

They should surely be better than 9-6 with the gigantic disparity of talent/money between the two.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
They should surely be better than 9-6 with the gigantic disparity of talent/money between the two.

I never said anything contrary to that. I simply said that saying the Sox should never lose a game against them is ridiculous.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
Come on... ANYTHING less then 14-0 against the LOWLY Royals is COMPLETELY unacceptable. If we were 14-0 against them, we'd only be .5 games back. WHERE IS THE REALISM HERE??!!??

*ahem*

But then the Tigers would have to be perfect against them as well, as would the Twins :P