Speculation about Pods

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obvious he hasn't been anything close to stellar, but hitting lead off is the hardest position in the line-up to hit if you ask me. I'm not against Podsednik leaving, but I think it'll be tough to find a replacement who can do the job that is supposed to be done.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
The funny thing about the leadoff hitter is that they are only guaranteed to leadoff once a game.

If the Sox move Pods, they will more than likely pickup a leadoff hitter at another position (SS).

There are both FA and trade options out there for a leadoff SS or OF with the likes of Rollins, Furcal, Dellucci, Matthews Jr. etc. if the Sox decide to move Pods most likely to an NL team (like the Giants who desperately need a leadoff hitter) this off-season.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 05:49 AM)
The funny thing about the leadoff hitter is that they are only guaranteed to leadoff once a game.

If the Sox move Pods, they will more than likely pickup a leadoff hitter at another position (SS).

Yes, they only lead off once per game, but they also quite often have the chance to set the table for your 2-5 hitters. Their performance in front of those guys directly impacts the performance of your big guns.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
Yes, they only lead off once per game, but they also quite often have the chance to set the table for your 2-5 hitters. Their performance in front of those guys directly impacts the performance of your big guns.

I know, I just think the label gets used like the guy leads off 4-5 times a game. As long as that player is a high OBP guy he should be able to leadoff.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
I know, I just think the label gets used like the guy leads off 4-5 times a game. As long as that player is a high OBP guy he should be able to leadoff.

I'm willing to take either a high OBP or a guy with a moderate OBP but really good speed. The high OBP guy gets himself on base for the guys behind him and allows them to hit the ball out of the park, the guy with the speed gets himself on base less, but when he gets on base, he's immediately in scoring position, and the 2-3 guys behind him can knock him in with a hit or even a sac fly.

Problem with Podsednik right now is he's neither.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are both FA and trade options out there for a leadoff SS or OF with the likes of Rollins, Furcal, Dellucci, Matthews Jr. etc. if the Sox decide to move Pods most likely to an NL team (like the Giants who desperately need a leadoff hitter) this off-season.

I know he's a better #2 hitter, but I could see the Sox going back after Omar Vizquel

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
I'm willing to take either a high OBP or a guy with a moderate OBP but really good speed. The high OBP guy gets himself on base for the guys behind him and allows them to hit the ball out of the park, the guy with the speed gets himself on base less, but when he gets on base, he's immediately in scoring position, and the 2-3 guys behind him can knock him in with a hit or even a sac fly.

Problem with Podsednik right now is he's neither.

Personally I'd like to see the Sox get creative and throw tradition out the window. Sure, stealing bases is nice and all, but I"ll take the 40-50 times more per year a good OBP leadoff hitter will get on base over what Pods is giving us.

Sox really don't have a lot of guys that can take a walk outside of Thome though. Obviously it will have to come from either a trade or signing this offseason.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
Personally I'd like to see the Sox get creative and throw tradition out the window. Sure, stealing bases is nice and all, but I"ll take the 40-50 times more per year a good OBP leadoff hitter will get on base over what Pods is giving us.

Sox really don't have a lot of guys that can take a walk outside of Thome though. Obviously it will have to come from either a trade or signing this offseason.

Agreed, the leadoff guy doesn't have to be some guy that steals 50 bases. Just give me a professional hitter who gets on base a lot for the big boppers, speed be damned (although if he can run, I won't argue with it).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
Agreed, the leadoff guy doesn't have to be some guy that steals 50 bases. Just give me a professional hitter who gets on base a lot for the big boppers, speed be damned (although if he can run, I won't argue with it).

Yep, the order of importance should be 1.) OBP and then speed a distant second. Ideally the best leadoff hitters combine both, but I can't name many other than Ichiro perhaps.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)
Yep, the order of importance should be 1.) OBP and then speed a distant second. Ideally the best leadoff hitters combine both, but I can't name many other than Ichiro perhaps.

Sizemore. Ichiro isn't even a great walk guy, but his OBP is inflated due to the always high average. Sizemore is incredible, plays a great CF on defense, .300/.382 with a .912 OPS and has 18 steals along with being a lefty hitter. Sizemore is the best leadoff man in the game IMO.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
Sizemore. Ichiro isn't even a great walk guy, but his OBP is inflated due to the always high average. Sizemore is incredible, plays a great CF on defense, .300/.382 with a .912 OPS and has 18 steals along with being a lefty hitter. Sizemore is the best leadoff man in the game IMO.

Yea, that's pretty amazing, a 382 OBP and a .912 OPS from a defensive standout CF is damn good. What is Pods' OBP at anyways? It can't be much over .340, and it's much lower because of all the damn times he's been picked off or CS.

I don't think you'll ever see an Ozzie Guillen managed team have a slow leadoff hitter. The slowest you'll ever see were in the past IMO(Rowand and TIMO). As much as it drives me crazy and the rest of us too, I think you'll see KW follow Ozzie's philosophy and go for a mediocre OBP and speed guy, such as a Podsednik, but perhaps on a much better scale, ala a Carl Crawford type(that would be my pipedream right there). Not entirely sure how possible Crawford is, but he would be about the ideal guy for the offense.

One thing I think I would guarantee is that Pods is gone.

QUOTE(Maverick0984 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
i must be the only guy in chicago that still likes Pods

I don't hate/dislike him eigher. Will always be someone I respected for what he did in 2005. But his time has ran out basically. There's nothing more he can really bring to the table like he did in early 2005. I have backed him alot as well, but we all know he probably won'nt be back. He still has Dergan though so don't feel too bad.. ;)

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)

I'll start the speculation. I think the Sox will pursue Juan Pierre. Not saying it's a great move, but based on his history with Ozzie and the fact that he may only requier a $5-6 mill per season contract makes it interesting.

Bob