A 2nd Chance for Thomas Bashers

Guest Ncorgbl

Guest Ncorgbl

As more and more old friends are posting here now, I thought I'd post this on here as well. A number of you will know the ones mentioned.

For those Frank Thomas bashers who've spewed their venom for the Greatest hitter in White Sox history, you've been given a second chance to reconsider your baseball ignorance by the man himself, quoted last night, and printed today.

"The fans have always been fair with me,'' he said of his shifting relationship with fans over his 13-year career. ''When I've been going well, they've been good to me. When I haven't, they've let me know. It goes hand in hand.''

I don't believe that is a true or fair statement, but I don't for a moment doubt Frank really means that, I do believe he said it because he's tired of the garbage his own poor communication skills have brought about. The quote is almost verbatim of things he's been advised to say, and it is said well. I've advised he not talk to the media at all, and his next quote come at his induction ceremony to the HOF, but Thomas genuinely loves the fans of Chicago, and the City of Chicago and the White Sox too much to do that. And make no mistake, he turned down what could've been a very lucrative free agency back in the late 90s for less money to stay here, and turned down an offer for more money than his old 'RPR' contract from the Dodgers last fall to stay here, though we fans took second seat to his kids, understandably so.

Thomas has never understood the rants of fans like 'beerman' to trade him and call him a bum, and often has wondered why fans like 'Meg3' didn't try to understand further than the media take on those 'controversies' that have come about. He knows now that we are not cUB fans who give blind faith as they do for 'Corky', but if any player ever deserved such it is Thomas. He's done nothing but give us total honesty, payed hurt, performed as an HOFer when healthy, and not brought any hint of 'cheating' here, instead leading the call for drug testing.

We White Sox fans are very fortunate to have a player like Frank Thomas here, and have shown too much disrespect to him over the years. He has earned, and deserves the sort of treatment that is given the sham on the North Side, and more.

The 'BigHurt' is the genuine article.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ncorgbl
Are you saying he got more than $250,000 of an offer?  Or more than the $10 mil a year that we would have owed him paid out over the 30 years?

More than the $10+ million per year, for the same length as the Sox contract.

It was not $10 million a year for 30 years, and what $250,000?

Frank's an awesome guy, and I'm extremely glad he's still wearing a Sox uniform.

If the day ever comes that he departs, I'll still support him as much as I ever have, but I hope he finishes his career as a member of this organization. It would be a sweet thing to see.

What did the Dodgers offer him?  Got a link?

Not sure if this is what Ncorgbl was talking about, but I remember LA all but having a deal wrapped up for Frank during the past offseason when the White Sox invoked the "Diminished Skills Clause." JR stepped in at the last minute and Frank was able to "rework" his current contract and stay with the Sox.

The "Diminished Skills Clause"..... yet another reason why Sox fans should be cheering Frank on. Give us something else we can shake in the face and jam up the ass of JR :headbang

The "Diminished Skills Clause"..... yet another reason why Sox fans should be cheering Frank on. Give us something else we can shake in the face and jam up the ass of JR  :headbang

I had not thought of that as yet another reason to cheer on the Big Hurt. :headbang :headbang

Guest Ncorgbl
Not sure if this is what Ncorgbl was talking about, but I remember LA all but having a deal wrapped up for Frank during the past offseason when the White Sox invoked the "Diminished Skills Clause." JR stepped in at the last minute and Frank was able to "rework" his current contract and stay with the Sox.

The "Diminished Skills Clause"..... yet another reason why Sox fans should be cheering Frank on. Give us something else we can shake in the face and jam up the ass of JR  :headbang

Not Reinsdorf, he had ordered the 'RPR' contract clause not be invoked. Williams did it against orders, and JR cleaned up the mess, giving Thomas a contract he could live with worth about the same as the old one.

Not Reinsdorf, he had ordered the 'RPR' contract clause not be invoked. Williams did it against orders, and JR cleaned up the mess, giving Thomas a contract he could live with worth about the same as the old one.

ARe you serious!

WTF! if KW did that without the consent of the owner... how the f*** does he still have a job.

You know the one thing i respect and admire about JR is his loyalty to his employees. Its really great hes so good to his people.

But there is a point where common sense has to overule his loyalty to his guys.....

ok me gonna go stand in the corner and take a TO on this issue. KW just sends me into fits of rage... wheres that bloody xanex.

If your implying that the Dodgers were going to give him 10 mill plus a year, then I got to disagree.

There is no way that the Dodgers would be offering that much. If they were they would of signed Cliff Floyd to play first base. They didn't sign him because Fox told Evans he couldn't spend the money and I think he only got 8 million a year. They also would of showed interest in Jim Thome.

Now if your talking about Frank's original contract when he signed it for like 10 mill a year, I do believe that he could of got quite a bit more in the mid 90's.

While some of you guys and gals may have inside sources, I'm out here in Cali and I know people in Chicago were always talking about Thomas going to the Dodgers, but out here no one even mentioned it as much of a possibility.

Dodgers were looking at Cliff Floyd.

There's no way thats possible. If Ken Williams did that he would of been fired. It was a good move to invoke the Dimished Skills Clause in the contract.

Guest Ncorgbl

ARe you serious!

WTF! if KW did that without the consent of the owner... how the f*** does he still have a job.

You know the one thing i respect and admire about JR is his loyalty to his employees. Its really great hes so good to his people.

But there is a point where common sense has to overule his loyalty to his guys.....

ok me gonna go stand in the corner and take a TO on this issue. KW just sends me into fits of rage... wheres that bloody xanex.

That's why JR waited until KW was not only out of town, but actually in the air from the Dominican to make the new deal with Thomas' agent in person, and Frank on speaker phone. When KW landed in Florida, he got the call from his assistant that something was going on, called into JR's office and threw a fit, declaring "I'll trade his ass by the break".

Frank's an awesome guy, and I'm extremely glad he's still wearing a Sox uniform.

If the day ever comes that he departs, I'll still support him as much as I ever have, but I hope he finishes his career as a member of this organization.  It would be a sweet thing to see.

I agree Clu, and yes on this you got a clue :lol: :headbang

Guest Ncorgbl

If your implying that the Dodgers were going to give him 10 mill plus a year, then I got to disagree.

There is no way that the Dodgers would be offering that much. If they were they would of signed Cliff Floyd to play first base. They didn't sign him because Fox told Evans he couldn't spend the money and I think he only got 8 million a year. They also would of showed interest in Jim Thome.

Now if your talking about Frank's original contract when he signed it for like 10 mill a year, I do believe that he could of got quite a bit more in the mid 90's.

Just because you didn't hear it, that means it didn't happen?

You are mistaken, it did. Thomas turned down a bigger than his original contract of $10 million per year from the L.A. Dodgers and Dan Evans to stay in Chicago, mostly because of his kids.

Further, the new contract, as structured will cost the White Sox more than the old because of the way the old one was being implmented by Thomas and the organization. This season, right now the new contract will pay Thomas more than his old one, and has provision to do the same in future years if Thomas stays. The old contract paid $10+ million, but Thomas was deferring over $4 million for personal reasons. The new pays a base of $5 million, plus incentives, which look right now to pay well. Add to that a $1 million 'loan', no interest and no pay back, and it actually costs the Sox more.

No, it was not a good idea to invoke the clause that was never meant to be invoked, by Reinsdorf's word to Thomas said in front of me. Williams' actions have cost him his job, and cost the Sox money. JR is too understanding of his help, but Einhorn will not be pushed around by the hired help, and he's back. I believe HSC has related that chapter already, so no need here.

You are entitled to believe anything you wish, but this is what really transpired.

I didnt think you liked Frank, soxfest? But either way, Im glad to hear you do now... :headbang

I always liked FT, but at times he frustrates me with his mouth FT is the greatest RH hitter in Sox history, I hope he is on the way back because that would be fantastic for 2 or 3 year good run he has left. :huh:

Ok, I noticed you put "RH hitter" in there. Im not familiar with what sides Sox hitters of the past batted from but is there a lefty you woulda considered to be a better hitter than Frank? No offense, Im just curious...

Dan Pasqua? LOL

I woulda guessed Harold Baines. He had 384 homeruns on his career. The only problem is, unlike Frank he wasnt a career Southsider...

Baines is and always will be my favorite Sox player and best clutch LH hitter they ever had. Baines always had the big hit ,not when the were down 9-3 in a game. MLB used to keep a stat called Game winning hit or RbI Baines was the leader quite a few years with the Sox.