Stolen Bases

jasonxctf

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Last year the Sox were 4th in the league in stolen bases. They averaged .84 per game. This year the Sox are 14th averaging .57 per game.

And yet, it doesn't matter at all.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
I went out and measured it myself. The Sox are being forced to run 100 ft. to get to the base, but the opposition only has to run 80 ft. It's a conspiracy by ESPN/Fox to make sure we don't make the playoffs again and draw low ratings.

I wouldn't be shocked.

i'd argue that it does matter. with a lineup that is virtually the same as last year (pull out Thomas/Everett and add Thome and change Rowand with Anderson) why did we lose this aggressiveness?

having guys that are running puts pressure on the opposing pitchers and defense. why have podsednik leadoff then... his blistering .335 OBP? (8th best on the team) iguchi and ozuna are running about 1/2 as much as last year too.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Thome is the biggest reason we run less, that and Dye's success. You just don't want to make outs in front of those studs on the bases. It was different last year when we had less success out of 3-4-5

That and the fact that Pods isnt the same runner. I think he never recovered from his hernia last year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 02:49 AM)
I went out and measured it myself. The Sox are being forced to run 100 ft. to get to the base, but the opposition only has to run 80 ft. It's a conspiracy by ESPN/Fox to make sure we don't make the playoffs again and draw low ratings.

I knew it!!! Plus the umpires are in cahoots against us. :D

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
Thome is the biggest reason we run less, that and Dye's success. You just don't want to make outs in front of those studs on the bases. It was different last year when we had less success out of 3-4-5

The offense is categorically different this year by design. Podsenik seems to be getting the short end of it, as a result. If he had 60 stolen bases by now, everyone would still ignore his awful defense and journeyman OBP. The lineup is a Thumper lineup, not unlike 2004. It is "disconcerting" to have hitters who strikeout at alarming rates in the leadoff and 3 spot. In post-season games, I'll take my chances with a less potent but more contact driven lineup, a "small ball" offense. Our inability to score runs without the benefit of the homerun is well-documented, and the Sox will face teams with very good pitching in the post-season run. The ability to move runners over will be HUGE during those series. With the Sox's less than stellar pitching, runs will be at a premium.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)
Will we face good pitching teams in the playoffs? Detroit maybe. NY is pretty pedestrian and Boston's is not good. It's kind of a rairty, but there aren't really any staffs that scare me into thinking we could get shutdown

I fear the Angels. Really, Anaheim and Minnesota are the last teams that I'd want to face in the playoffs.

But yeah, bring on Boston and New York.