Ozzie Guillen's in-game managing

Milkman delivers

I see little logic to it other than the lefty-lefty match-up. But given Cotts numbers against righties and lefties, the smart play was going after Cuddyer (in more ways than one). Is Thornton not available? Why does Cotts get these type of situations still? He's been s*** for a good chunk of time now.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
I see little logic to it other than the lefty-lefty match-up. But given Cotts numbers against righties and lefties, the smart play was going after Cuddyer (in more ways than one). Is Thornton not available? Why does Cotts get these type of situations still? He's been s*** for a good chunk of time now.

It was a bad move no matter how you look at it. Cotts is tougher on righties, he had Cuddyer up with two outs. Morneau is better against lefties than righties, and is the best player in baseball recently. The only reason I could ever see this happening is if there were less than 2 outs to set up the double play. My Lord, Ozzie is a bad in-game manager.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:34 PM)
Morneau CRUSHED that ball. terrible job by Cotts and Ozzie. LOL. I feel sorry for all of the great posters/people on this board that don't come around here much anymore cause of what has happened to this board.

That's far beyond the point.

And after Morneau fouled off that ball low and away in the dirt, it was pretty obvious Cotts was overmatched.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
That's far beyond the point.

And after Morneau fouled off that ball low and away in the dirt, it was pretty obvious Cotts was overmatched.

But he wasn't overmatched. He got him to pop up weakly. That's being overmatched?

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:34 PM)
Morneau CRUSHED that ball. terrible job by Cotts and Ozzie. LOL. I feel sorry for all of the great posters/people on this board that don't come around here much anymore cause of what has happened to this board.

Please, let's keep it to discussion of the game and not get into a petty argument. K, thanks.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
But he wasn't overmatched. He got him to pop up weakly. That's being overmatched?

You ever played baseball? You ever watch Frank Thomas play in his prime? Good hitters get cheap hits when they shouldn't.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
You ever played baseball? You ever watch Frank Thomas play in his prime? Good hitters get cheap hits when they shouldn't.

Yes. I'm sure Morneau was trying to do that. He hits the ball very, very hard for his hits. He doesn't dink and dunk. He popped it up. It happens. Not anybodys fault. But I suppose everyone around here has to blame it on somebody.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
Yes. I'm sure Morneau was trying to do that. He hits the ball very, very hard for his hits. He doesn't dink and dunk. He popped it up. It happens. Not anybodys fault. But I suppose everyone around here has to blame it on somebody.

Did you see the pitch he hit? 90% of lefties in this league walk to the bench on that. As well as on the low and away pitch (if they bother swinging like Morneau did).

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 02:43 AM)

Actually, he's completely cut down on his strikeouts recently, and he makes himself even more dangerous by making contact on the ball. When you add in the fact that Cotts can't ace a hitter with a slider to save his life, it wasn't a shocking turn of events.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
Walking anyone to get to Morneau? With a pitcher who is better against righties? When Morneau is better against lefties than he is against righties? All of this with two outs, so no need to set up a double play?

wow

This deserves its own topic.

Well Cotts made the pitch. Unlucky that he fisted it in the only hole in that area. It happens. It was a decent move IMO.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 02:46 AM)
Well Cotts made the pitch. Unlucky that he fisted it in the only hole in that area. It happens. It was a decent move IMO.

I respect you as a poster...but will you please explain to me how it was a decent move? I'd really like to see a legitimate explanation.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
I respect you as a poster...but will you please explain to me how it was a decent move? I'd really like to see a legitimate explanation.

I'm also curious where Thornton was at. Mauer just made a fool of Cotts less than a month ago and Oz brings him in to face him again. Even before that, why in the hell is Freddy starting the inning? Neal shouldn't be in a game in a tight spot nor should Freddy be starting the 7th with the way he had been pitching. I can't believe we see the same mistakes so often when they're so freakin' predictable.

The other thing I'm curious about is what happened to the approach the Sox took against Verlander and that other DET rookie? Bonser was just flying through our hitters because we helped him out. Against the Twins, it's IMPERATIVE that you run up the starter's pitch count. If you allow the starter to get into the 7th, it's game over with their BP.

This team is REALLY looking demoralized.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)

Pretty simple. Cotts IS significantly better vs lefties than righties this year, despite the misinformed drivel of many posters here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7209/s...gvhVOM6YTuFCLcF

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
Cotts has also given up hits to 11 of the last 17 lefties he's faced.

That sample size is small enough that it's still just a fluke. That's much like saying "Joe Schmoe is the best pitcher in the league right now. He threw two perfect innings yesterday."

Edited by Contreras' Crew

QUOTE(Contreras @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
That sample size is small enough that it's still just a fluke.

Neal didn't look horrible tonight. But as far as the last month or two goes, have you watched the games to see Neal pitch or are you just relying on his splits to back up your case. He's looked really bad against LH hitters for quite some time.

The fact on the matter is Morneau is more apt to get a dink hit on a good pitch than perhaps anyone on Minnesota's roster except for maybe Mauer. It was a dumb move. I am more surprised and I think the bigger story is Hawk's assertion that the White Sox lack intensity. That is inexcusable, and something Hawk has often said Ozzie would never allow happen. I think it deserves its own thread.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
The fact on the matter is Morneau is more apt to get a dink hit on a good pitch than perhaps anyone on Minnesota's roster except for maybe Mauer. It was a dumb move. I am more surprised and I think the bigger story is Hawk's assertion that the White Sox lack intensity. That is inexcusable, and something Hawk has often said Ozzie would never allow happen. I think it deserves its own thread.

Plenty of people have been saying that around here, but told that it's just not true. These are professionals, they would never lack intensity, especially under Ozzie.

Maybe now that the second-biggest homer in the history of the White Sox admits it, others will also agree.