Ozzie Guillen's in-game managing

Milkman delivers

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
Personally, this has nothing to do with the fact Cotts was in. It could have been Thornton, and I still would have not wanted us to walk a guy to face Morneau. Morneau is swinging the bat with some enormous confidence right now.

If anything, Ozzie should have had a RHP ready for Cuddyer if he didn't want Cotts to pitch to him.

I don't know if Ozzie has lost his ability to do this, but I wish someone would tell these guys to go out there, have fun, and play with energy. They seem tight again, and that leads to a lot of overswinging at the plate.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 03:05 AM)
If anything, Ozzie should have had a RHP ready for Cuddyer if he didn't want Cotts to pitch to him.

Well said. This way, if he gets on, you can walk Morneau intentionally. If only Morneau was Matt Stairs, we'd never face him.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)

That'd never happen. A pitcher finishes what he starts with Ozzie, 40 ER or not.

Edited by BobDylan

Neal made a good pitch and Morneau was barely able to get it out of the infield. Tough luck, Andersons play didn't help us either.

By the way, Cotts is getting too much blame for the loss. What happened to our offense again making "Boof" look like Santana?

This was a must win game for the sox and now we have two sox killers in a row. I will be happy if we don't get swept.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
Neal made a good pitch and Morneau was barely able to get it out of the infield. Tough luck, Andersons play didn't help us either.

By the way, Cotts is getting too much blame for the loss. What happened to our offense again making "Boof" look like Santana?

This was a must win game for the sox and now we have two sox killers in a row. I will be happy if we don't get swept.

the biggest issue here isnt anything ozzie did ...the biggest thing is that garcia has completely lost the ability to shut any offense down, period....it seems to me that he has completely lost the ability to shut a team down and give up less than 2 runs through 7 innings....at least not an AL team

in addition, hawk used to rave about how freddy was a winner and pitched just well enough to win....well tonight, and in most of his recent starts, he has pitched just well enough to lose.....i really wish they had traded him at the deadline, because they wont be able to move him for much this offseason

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
the biggest issue here isnt anything ozzie did ...the biggest thing is that garcia has completely lost the ability to shut any offense down, period....it seems to me that he has completely lost the ability to shut a team down and give up less than 2 runs through 7 innings....at least not an AL team

in addition, hawk used to rave about how freddy was a winner and pitched just well enough to win....well tonight, and in most of his recent starts, he has pitched just well enough to lose.....i really wish they had traded him at the deadline, because they wont be able to move him for much this offseason

The opposition is also running circles around him.

I had a bad feeling when Hunter came up and he proved me right. I didn't have much confidence after that.

While Freddy does need to go, at least he keeps us in games. Oh I can't wait for Vazquez to give us 5 s***ty innings. The offense should have been able to put up at least 4 against Boof. Freaking ridiculous.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
Plenty of people have been saying that around here, but told that it's just not true. These are professionals, they would never lack intensity, especially under Ozzie.

Maybe now that the second-biggest homer in the history of the White Sox admits it, others will also agree.

if hawk's the second biggest...who's number one?

the move reminds me from the simpsons

Mr. Burns: Strawberry, you've had a great game, now hit the showers

Strawberry: But coach I've hit nine home runs today

Mr. Burns: It's called playing the percentages, the pitcher is a lefty, so you put up a right handed batter

I know the situation is reversed but you get the idea :lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
the move reminds me from the simpsons

Mr. Burns: Strawberry, you've had a great game, now hit the showers

Strawberry: But coach I've hit nine home runs today

Mr. Burns: It's called playing the percentages, the pitcher is a lefty, so you put up a right handed batter

I know the situation is reversed but you get the idea :lol: :lol: :lol:

haha

totally

Ozzie is becoming predictable, in close games he uses Cotts, Riske and McCarthy when they are behind. He goes MacDougal, Thornton and Jenks when ahead. My druthers would be to go more situational in either circumstance. The way he's rotating the pen gives me a sense that he doesn't fight as hard when behind, he lays back and hopes for an offensive explosion from the big boppers; sometimes he gets it, sometimes not, Oh Well.

If he had used 5 guys to keep the game at one run last night, the offense could have played more aggressivly to force the issue. He had Kong, Dye and Crede in the bottom of the inning. In a one run game they take a different approach than down 3.

It might have turned out the same anyway, but the game would have been harder fought. Just my take.

Plain and simple, Ozzie is on the short list for worst in-game manager in the majors. He doesn't know when to pull a starting pitcher. He doesn't know how to handle a bullpen. He doesn't know who to walk and who to pitch to. He doesn't know when to play regulars and when to give them a rest.

That has been pretty consistent throughout his tenure with the Sox. And this season he hasn't been able to motivate to play with fire and intensity. So here's my question: if a manager is horrible during a game, and can't motivate his players, what good is he?

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Plain and simple, Ozzie is on the short list for worst in-game manager in the majors. He doesn't know when to pull a starting pitcher. He doesn't know how to handle a bullpen. He doesn't know who to walk and who to pitch to. He doesn't know when to play regulars and when to give them a rest.

That has been pretty consistent throughout his tenure with the Sox. And this season he hasn't been able to motivate to play with fire and intensity. So here's my question: if a manager is horrible during a game, and can't motivate his players, what good is he?

So how does a guy who's on the short list for the worst in - game manager in the majors win a World Series 1 year, and then has his team on top in the Wild Card standings with a good record the next season?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
So how does a guy who's on the short list for the worst in - game manager in the majors win a World Series 1 year, and then has his team on top in the Wild Card standings with a good record the next season?

Well, Bob Brenly and Terry Francona have won WS titles. Ozzie did have one of the best pitching staffs in recent memory, by the way.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)

If Ozzie is going to get all the credit when the team wins a WS, he should get all the blame when they fail to play up to expectations. Hawk calling out the lack of intensity in a game in August against the Twins, a team the Sox are neck and neck with in a WC race indicates to me Ozzie isn't all he was cracked up to be last season. A lot of his moves have not worked out this year.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)

While I do agree Garcia is a huge problem this season, I'm not going to back down on Guillen at all.

Both of these players have hit LH pitchers exceptionally well this season, Cuddyer a bit better, but that is NO EXCUSE to out another runner on base, especially in a sitauation that usually scores a run. It was a terrible move and it came back to bite us.

I want to see Ozzie managing this team forever, but when a team's starting pitching struggles for 80% of a season, and it's obvious where and in what situations they are struggling in, and our bullpen seems to be dynamic and great except for a bad seed or so, and you continue to try to grow that seed in this situation, and continue to eggheadedly think putting the starters through that situation will somehow make them or the team better, and when the team has supposedly made moves to strengthen the bullpen, and they arent being... this run on sentence is getting long. you know what I mean.

Well I think bringing in Cotts was a great move by Ozzie today. Not like anything happened on Friday or in general lately that would make you gunshy about that move. Although hey, we had just scored 2 to cut it to 5-3, not like bringing in your worst pitcher and having him give up a 2 run homer costs a team momentum or anything. I'm sure glad Ozzie brought us a championship.