White Sox vs Twins 1:10 pm CSN

WSoxMatt

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
If he was in Vazquez's spot in the rotation and the team scored as many runs as they have for Javy, McCarthy would have to be really awful to be under .500. I think in 10 of Vazquez's 11 victories the Sox have scored 8 or more runs, and they have scored a lot of runs in 3 or 4 of his other starts. The problem I see is with how Ozzie uses him, this really is a lost season for him. He's not learning anything. Next season he will be just as green as he was this season.

I agree. We are throwing away games with Vazquez out there...he's horrendous. Having McCarthy in the bullpen is just wasting talent.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
I would have to agree. It does not mean he is throwing "Meatballs" up to the plate.

He's hanging his changeup more than I've ever seen him. Against someone like him, you need to capitalize on those bad pitches, and not foul them off. A great example is how we smashed every bad pitch Halladay threw against us a few weeks ago.

Ah....here comes the 3rd time through the order.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)
Fantastic. Only a 1 game lead on the Twins after tonight. Damn we better kick the s*** outta the kittens or we could be in trouble.

With how crappy we've played in the last week, I'm THRILLED we still have the lead in the WC right now.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
McCarthy was outstanding last year...Outstanding after his callup. He earned a chance to start as the 5 this year. His change up and curve ball are 10x better than Javy's is...McCarthy's fastball has seemed a little flat this year and has made some youthful mistakes (he should have never thrown a get-me-over against the Yankees when Milky Cabrera went yard on him a couple weeks ago...Milky is the ONE GUY in that lineup that fishes hard for the first pitch)....That is a lack of experience...

OK, so McCarthy would not go 20-3, this we can all agree on, but I can be certain that he would learn from his mistakes (like last year) and we would not see our own version of Groundhog Day starring Javier Vazquez.

This idea that one would gurantee McCarthy would have a losing record in Javy's spot is pathetically hilarious seeing that Vazquez got > 8 RUNS A GAME support for most of this year...EIGHT FRIGGIN RUNS...

McCarthy has been mis-managed and we traded some decent talent for this waste of space pitcher.

And you don't know that McCarthy would have gotten the same 8 run support. He could have lost 10 games by one run.

Look, bottom line is - Javy was traded because we thought we were going to be TWO pitchers down from our rotation last year. And both of those two ended up coming back on long term deals. At that point, it's better to not risk your best prospect's arm. Javy has 11 wins. McCarthy would have about the same, most likely... so it's a wash. It really is. It's not about run support, or ERA, or anything else. It's about W's. And McCarthy would give us the same about, roughly. Indeed a game or two here and there would be a lot different, but when it's all said and done, I think the records would be almost the same. McCarthy, if nothing else, has been up a whole season on the big club and can take that experience farther then he could have as a starter out there getting shelled.

We can sit here and MMQB the situation all day, and at the end of the day, the W's are going to have been about the same.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Or PK for that matter? These guys need to get itgoing if were going to make the playoffs

I agree. Besides Konerko's homer of Mariano we haven't seen much.

We are facing Johan today though.....I'd be thrilled if we could somehow scratch and claw for 3 more runs...

They should have just gotten on the plane for Detroit last night. Reading the comments by Ozzie and others, they lost this game before they ever played it. Santana's a very good pitcher, but the way they were talking, they had given up before the first pitch was thrown. They need to find someone to replace Thome, he's spent.

QUOTE(G&T @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
Why is Javy still out there?

Hell if I know. I was disgusted that Ozzie called out Mark Buehrle and seemed to suggest he was the real problem with the staff.

Yea, Mark has struggled, but that dude took us to the top of the mountain...if he is getting hit hard, there has to be an explanation to it, becuase we've seen him bottle up people on the biggest stage in baseball...

Javy getting hit hard is just the MO for him, but Ozzie seems totally dedicated to this Frankenstein experiment we have...Come on folks...Can ANY OF YOU imagine this clown pitching in ANY OF THOSE games against Houston in the WS last year? LMAO...

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 07:53 PM)
Javy getting hit hard is just the MO for him, but Ozzie seems totally dedicated to this Frankenstein experiment we have...Come on folks...Can ANY OF YOU imagine this clown pitching in ANY OF THOSE games against Houston in the WS last year? LMAO...

I have a feeling that Vazquez would suddenly show more testicular fortitude if he ever pitched in the posteason. :P