Glavine

Check out the espn.com story plus the bit in Buster Olney's blog about Tom Glavine's potential bloodclot that may end his career and season. So close to 300 wins it would be a huge shame. Plus it would have been a lot of fun to see him back in the October spotlight again. Glavine is a true joy to watch pitch as he uses know-how, experience, and deception to confound hitters when his stuff would suggest otherwise. It'd be terribly unfortunate if his HOF career is over now

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Check out the espn.com story plus the bit in Buster Olney's blog about Tom Glavine's potential bloodclot that may end his career and season. So close to 300 wins it would be a huge shame. Plus it would have been a lot of fun to see him back in the October spotlight again. Glavine is a true joy to watch pitch as he uses know-how, experience, and deception to confound hitters when his stuff would suggest otherwise. It'd be terribly unfortunate if his HOF career is over now

KW....get on the phone with the Mets! Best wishes to Glavine though.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)

If they lose Glavin (which I hope they do not) they'll literally have no starting rotation going into September, talk about desperate.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Mets would like to have garcia or Javy, and because of the money they make they would both clear waivers. On the other side of things, Tom Glavine is one of my favorite pitchers of all time and I would love to see him get to 300 wins.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Mets would like to have garcia or Javy, and because of the money they make they would both clear waivers. On the other side of things, Tom Glavine is one of my favorite pitchers of all time and I would love to see him get to 300 wins.

Can't the Sox use this opportunity to put Vazquez on waivers (if he hasn't already) and see if the Mets claim him. This is the Sox chance to get out of the contract. If the Mets (or another team) claim him, just give them to him.

To me this has 2 benefits:

1. It frees up $12 mill in payroll next year.

2. IMHO, it frees up a spot for McCarthy. And let's assume McCarthy doesn't have time to build arm strength fo the end of the season, I have zero problem throwing Tracey in there. Honestly, can Sean Tracey be that much worse. Vazquez is good for his 5 runs in 5 innings. That's a 9 ERA. BFD if he's a vet and he's 'been there'. He's 'there' now and not helping anything.

Bob

I don't think you can justify waiving vazquez with a wildcard lead. What if we had a starter get hurt? Plus it might be getting too late to stretch Brandon out. Plus, before we waive him I think its worth trying to use him as a power reliever. He might add 3-4 mph to his fastball and become a dominant 8th inning counterpart for Jenks

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
The Dodgers are takin' the NL.

I think this was decided at the trade deadline, not today. They could have a healthy Glavine and I still am going to take the team with the most pitching, and that's NOT the Mets. Hell, now they even have Mota. Yikes, how many holes does your staff need to have before you realize this isn't your year?

Anyone think Garcia or Vazquez could clear waivers? I bet they might move Milledge now.

Vazquez is NOT going anywhere. KW's been after him since the 02-03 offseason, he tried to get him from New York when he went to Arizona, and he finally did get him. He wouldn't give him up after a year, let alone halfway into August when every dependable arm is necessary.

Vazquez is about the only starter I'm positive will not be moved, now or in the offseason. KW's not going to trade a player he called a future all-star for a rent-a-starter.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:22 AM)
Well, in order to get to the Mets, every single MLB team would have to pass on Garcia/Vazquez. I doubt they get by every last team. And to get Milledge, wouldn't he, too, have to pass through waivers?

Ok, so who do the Mets have in their farm system who wouldn't have to pass through waivers?