If you ever think you are having a bad week....

juddling

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
One First Aid lesson. There is almost no reason to "pop" a blister. Nature likes blisters, that's why we get them. Put a bandaid over it and cowboy up.

I agree. The only ones I've ever "popped" were poppped on their own accidentally.

QUOTE(mreye @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
I agree. The only ones I've ever "popped" were poppped on their own accidentally.

That old wives tale about popping blisters will not go away. I remember when I was running cross country it was almost a ritual early in the season heating needles and popping away.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
One First Aid lesson. There is almost no reason to "pop" a blister. Nature likes blisters, that's why we get them. Put a bandaid over it and cowboy up.

Sort of. If its a blister on your foot and you are out hiking all day, sometimes its better to pop it under controlled circumstance.

Even better, I know a great trick for foot blisters. Kind of gross though, and off topic. But if you want to know how to turn a painful blister into a hard callous overnight, I know the way.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
Sort of. If its a blister on your foot and you are out hiking all day, sometimes its better to pop it under controlled circumstance.

Even better, I know a great trick for foot blisters. Kind of gross though, and off topic. But if you want to know how to turn a painful blister into a hard callous overnight, I know the way.

I usually do the moleskin donut, but honestly have been blister free for years (at least on my feet) Smartwool and poly liners with a pair of boots that just flat out fit my foot. When I bought them I thought they would be more for day hikes and knocking around in, but pressed them into service on an impromptu trip and love them. Timberland something or others I picked up at their outlet.They replaced some Merrils.

What's the trick?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
I usually do the moleskin donut, but honestly have been blister free for years (at least on my feet) Smartwool and poly liners with a pair of boots that just flat out fit my foot. When I bought them I thought they would be more for day hikes and knocking around in, but pressed them into service on an impromptu trip and love them. Timberland something or others I picked up at their outlet.They replaced some Merrils.

What's the trick?

OK...

Cut a small hole or slit in the blister (towards the top or highest point versus gravity). Drain partially. Use an irrigation syringe or tube tip to re-fill the blister with Tincture of Benzoin (otherwise labeled as Benzoid Tincture). Seal the hole with something strong (stitch tape or similar), but leave otherwise uncovered. Sleep. Next morning, its a callous (sp?).

WARNING: The benzoin will likely sting like hell for a few seconds. This is normal.

I haven't had bad blisters in a while either, but it seems like someone always does on any given trek. Good socks and boots that fit and are seasonally-appropriate are key.

Most of the foot related problems I have seen are caused by wet feet, socks, and shoes. I always tell people I am leading that it is much better to take 5 minutes and take care of a hot spot then be hobbled by blisters. With the Scouts, I even go so far as schedule to foot break if we have a number of newbies on a trek.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
Most of the foot related problems I have seen are caused by wet feet, socks, and shoes. I always tell people I am leading that it is much better to take 5 minutes and take care of a hot spot then be hobbled by blisters. With the Scouts, I even go so far as schedule to foot break if we have a number of newbies on a trek.

And if its just a hot spot, then the donut works great as protection.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
Once I even used a little duct tape on a small blister. Left it on for a couple days and it saved a bigger heel problem from forming. After one very rough trip, I actually fear blisters.

Over Christmas break I am leading this trip to Big Bend :wub:

Looks awesome. I've done desert hiking before - it can be a big challenge. If you have young scouts, that will be a serious trip for them.

Make sure you have your 2 gallons per day.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
Looks awesome. I've done desert hiking before - it can be a big challenge. If you have young scouts, that will be a serious trip for them.

Make sure you have your 2 gallons per day.

The early plan is to not only have lots of water cached, but to have a support vehicle stop by on day three and meet up with us. The NPS finally provided a bear locker along the route to store water. I believe it is an upgrade from "find a spot and don't forget it". I am calling to see if water pilfering has been a problem.

I also plan on offering, depending on participation, two options, a relatively lazy, South Rim and down and the more challeging Dodson Trail trip. It seems like a great time to just take a tarp, but I am certian we'll have to go with tents because of some fears of snakes, insects, arachnids, and other things that creep and crawl in the desert.