Tiger Woods

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
I seriously want to know... for those who do not like him, please explain why.

Probably just because people just get sick of seeing him win I guess.

But you have to respect what he's done in his career so far no matter if you like him or not.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:09 AM)
I seriously want to know... for those who do not like him, please explain why.

I love his play, hate his attitude. His level of skill is a gift. He, IMO, does not respect that, and is arrogant about it as well. I wish he was more humble. And more accessable. He wont walk up to the green unless there are cops surrounding it and they push fans away, make people move who have been sitting there all day. A lot of those folks have been there since 7am and him getting there at 4pm, making folks move is bulls***. No compassion for the fans.

I like the way he is. He's genuine and IMO carries himself like Michael Jordan did during his prime. He understands his skill level with the hours upon hours of work he puts in to maintain and change his swing year in and year out.

He does A LOT of charity work from the books, etc. I read. He may not be in the public eye, unless he's playing in a tournament; however, I think that's good for him. I have no interest in his personal life, or what he does off the course.

And he's a billion times better than Phil. Phil is the fakest person in the world. There's no way he's happy after he double bogeys a hole.

I was addressing his on course actions.

If you can get out to an event, do so and you'll see what a prick he is to the fans that spend hours upon hours sitting and waiting for the opportunity to see him for 8 minutes.

I don't care what he does off the course for charity. If I did, I'd likely like him more.

As for Phil, I'm sure he's not happy after a DB, but at least he isn't a dick to the fans, and knows that there is more to life than spending hours upon hours away from his family practicing his swing. His ability is what it is and if he wins, he wins, and if he doesn't, he doesn't. IMO, he's a way better human being than Tiger ever will be.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)
Fair enough. Just to put this all in perspective for me, what's your opinion of Michael Jordan?

Because a basketball analogy of the two players, Tiger reminds me so much of Jordan and Mickelson of Barkley.

Professionally his talent was awesome. His people skills with the media were even better than his game on the court. His skills with fans in front of a camera were fantastic, away from the camera he was a mf'er. He cheated and abused his marriage, gambled to speculation that his father was murdered because of it, and still walks around like his s*** doesn't stink. Not his fault.. people never call on him to take responsibility so he never does, IMO.

I'd take Barkley's honesty over Jordan's fakeness anyday.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
As for Phil, I'm sure he's not happy after a DB, but at least he isn't a dick to the fans, and knows that there is more to life than spending hours upon hours away from his family practicing his swing. His ability is what it is and if he wins, he wins, and if he doesn't, he doesn't. IMO, he's a way better human being than Tiger ever will be.

Supposedly people around golf regard Phil as the most fake guy out there. That the whole family is an act to make people like him, and that he is very self centered. I know this has nothing to with Woods, but this has been said about him many times, not just on the radio, but also in Golf magazines...which I then hear all about from my Dad.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE(G&T @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
Supposedly people around golf regard Phil as the most fake guy out there. That the whole family is an act to make people like him, and that he is very self centered. I know this has nothing to with Woods, but this has been said about him many times, not just on the radio, but also in Golf magazines...which I then hear all about from my Dad.

Which if I am not mistaken, is the name of the game, is it not? To be friendly to those that support you versus being a jag who doesn't have the time of day to even respond to a compliment of "nice shot"? I don't care what Phil is, but I've never had a bad fan experience with him and had several with Woods.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
Which if I am not mistaken, is the name of the game, is it not? To be friendly to those that support you versus being a jag who doesn't have the time of day to even respond to a compliment of "nice shot"? I don't care what Phil is, but I've never had a bad fan experience with him and had several with Woods.

Except that you said you don't like Jordan's fakeness, specifically concerning his family. If you don't like him because of personal experience then that's fine, I just don't get the fakeness arguement.

QUOTE(G&T @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
Except that you said you don't like Jordan's fakeness, specifically concerning his family. If you don't like him because of personal experience then that's fine, I just don't get the fakeness arguement.

I did not refer to his fakeness with his family, personal, and professional life - as his cheating on his wife and his gambling causing personal, and professional difficulties are factually documented.

I was responding to greasy's analogy comparing Barkley.

And I never said I didn't like Jordan.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)

Thanks for answering the analogy; that puts things into perspective for me. I feel I just put less emphasis on what they do outside of their sport, as I consider them my favorite athletes and not my favorite people.

However, Tiger would have a hard time acknowledging the crowd when they're saying he has a nice shot. Golf crowds have completely changed since he's come on the scene 10 years ago. No matter what he kind of shot he makes you'll always hear "GET IN THE HOLE! YOU DA MAN TIGERRRRR! GREAT SHOT!" After a while you're just going to block that out.

His father taught him to block distractions like that out at an early age. When he was little, his dad would try interrupting his swing by making noises, throwing keys, etc. at him during a shot. He's really just doing what he was taught.

Good discussion. I'm on my way back to Bloomington in a matter of hours, so I probably won't get to see anything after this until sometime tomorrow afternoon when cable gets hooked up again at the apartment.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
I was addressing his on course actions.

If you can get out to an event, do so and you'll see what a prick he is to the fans that spend hours upon hours sitting and waiting for the opportunity to see him for 8 minutes.

I don't care what he does off the course for charity. If I did, I'd likely like him more.

I went to St. Andrews for the British Open in 2000. If you saw what I saw you would conclude Phil Mickleson is easily one of the top 5 dicks on tour. I went to a practice round and 2 days of the tournament. During the practice round, all these guys hit about 5 balls every shot and at least that day were all goofing around with each other, signing autographs and taking pictures with the fans. All except Phil. He was goofing around hitting trick shots and such, but when it came to autographs or even acknowledging the crowd, Phil refused to participate. I witnessed one incident when 5 little kids asked him for an autograph, he waved them off and said he had work to do. David Toms who was with him, took 5 balls out of his bag, actually his caddie did, signed them and gave them to the kids while Phil screwed around with a couple of other players.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
Thanks for answering the analogy; that puts things into perspective for me. I feel I just put less emphasis on what they do outside of their sport, as I consider them my favorite athletes and not my favorite people.

However, Tiger would have a hard time acknowledging the crowd when they're saying he has a nice shot. Golf crowds have completely changed since he's come on the scene 10 years ago. No matter what he kind of shot he makes you'll always hear "GET IN THE HOLE! YOU DA MAN TIGERRRRR! GREAT SHOT!" After a while you're just going to block that out.

His father taught him to block distractions like that out at an early age. When he was little, his dad would try interrupting his swing by making noises, throwing keys, etc. at him during a shot. He's really just doing what he was taught.

Good discussion. I'm on my way back to Bloomington in a matter of hours, so I probably won't get to see anything after this until sometime tomorrow afternoon when cable gets hooked up again at the apartment.

Valid points from all angles that's for sure. Travel safe. Good luck with the cable guy. :D

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
I went to St. Andrews for the British Open in 2000. If you saw what I saw you would conclude Phil Mickleson is easily one of the top 5 dicks on tour. I went to a practice round and 2 days of the tournament. During the practice round, all these guys hit about 5 balls every shot and at least that day were all goofing around with each other, signing autographs and taking pictures with the fans. All except Phil. He was goofing around hitting trick shots and such, but when it came to autographs or even acknowledging the crowd, Phil refused to participate. I witnessed one incident when 5 little kids asked him for an autograph, he waved them off and said he had work to do. David Toms who was with him, took 5 balls out of his bag, actually his caddie did, signed them and gave them to the kids while Phil screwed around with a couple of other players.

Good grief...

I suppose everyone has a bad story about someone. Hell, while in spring training this year I saw Jim Thome completely ignore a little boy who was begging for his autograph and made him cry - that bastard :rolly.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
I wouldn't mind barkley if not for his tendency to spit on little girls and throw people through windows... <_>

Hey.. a guys gotta get street cred somehow.. :D

For the record, I don't care about what he does in his personal life. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone..