Tiger Woods

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 10:14 PM)
I didn't get to bump this yesterday for a US Open victory--boo, but Tiger's officially a father now.

The Nike commercial with the golf clubs is way cute.

• 1 month later...

Rory Sabbatini had a one stroke lead over Tiger Woods going into the final round of WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, and if you remember he had some choice words about Tiger earlier this year.

http://www.pga.com/improve/features/alesso...stone080607.cfm

Sabbatini and Woods verbally sparred this spring starting at the Wachovia Championship, where Woods rallied from one shot behind the spunky South African to win at Quail Hollow. Five days later, Sabbatini said he thought Woods looked "as beatable as ever." And while he said Woods can be scary when he's on his game, he liked "the new Tiger" better.

Woods responded the next day by mentioning he had three victories in 2007, as many as Sabbatini had in his career.

What kind of fireworks will Sunday bring?

"He's trying to obviously think of ways to motivate himself," Woods said. "A lot of guys don't really externalize it. We all say things like that inside, and he's just trying to gain any kind of edge mentally when you're out there playing. He just verbalizes them."

Sabbatini didn't back down, on the golf course and when he had finished his round with a 54-hole lead for the sixth time in his career. He mentioned he was 1-1 going against Woods in the final round, the most recent coming at Quail Hollow.

And the other time?

"NCAAs, final round. I beat him by five," Sabbatini said proudly.

But didn't Woods win the NCAA title that year?

"He did, but I beat him in the final round," Sabbatini said with a grin. "So if I beat him by five tomorrow, I'm loving my chances."

And today's results...

World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational

Final

1 Tiger Woods -8 F -5

T2 Justin Rose E F -2

T2 Rory Sabbatini E F +4

T4 Peter Lonard +1 F -2

T4 Chris DiMarco +1 F E

Whoops. Tiger earns W #58.

Tiger is amazing a player as I've ever seen. I've followed him three or four times and have witnessed some of the worst behavior possible, directed towards him. He has also rebuilt his swing mid career, and survived all the supposed distractions (family, boredom) that were going to derail his career.

Could he be a better human? Probably. We all could. I'd take him as a person ahead of Bonds and 99% of the NBA.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 05:15 AM)
Tiger is amazing a player as I've ever seen. I've followed him three or four times and have witnessed some of the worst behavior possible, directed towards him. He has also rebuilt his swing mid career, and survived all the supposed distractions (family, boredom) that were going to derail his career.

Could he be a better human? Probably. We all could. I'd take him as a person ahead of Bonds and 99% of the NBA.

I associate most negative things said about Tiger Woods as either racist, ignorance, or jealousy. This guy is a GREAT professional athlete. Does he occasionally let an F-bomb fly on TV? Yep. But we all let an F-Bomb out once in a while, don't we?

He gives time, $$, and heart to a lot of charitable organizations, he goes about his business, and he is pretty straight with people (the media).

Oh, and Rory? He lives in the city next to where I'm at (Southlake, TX). Despite the Tiger meltdowns, this guy is having a good year. I've met him once. Nice enough guy - he just talked smack about the wrong guy, that's all.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
Rory Sabbatini had a one stroke lead over Tiger Woods going into the final round of WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, and if you remember he had some choice words about Tiger earlier this year.

http://www.pga.com/improve/features/alesso...stone080607.cfm

And today's results...

World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational

Final

1 Tiger Woods -8 F -5

T2 Justin Rose E F -2

T2 Rory Sabbatini E F +4

T4 Peter Lonard +1 F -2

T4 Chris DiMarco +1 F E

Whoops. Tiger earns W #58.

Rory tried to have a spectator tossed over the weekend for mocking his earlier comments about Tiger. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
Rory tried to have a spectator tossed over the weekend for mocking his earlier comments about Tiger. :lolhitting

The Fanhouse got him pretty good for that:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/06/...mouthed-victims

(The dude's name was Steve Banky, who happened to be retired firefighter and paramedic. For someone who claims to "speak his mind," Sabbatini sure is touchy when others do similarly. Here's a thought: Rory, if you're not 40 yards deep in the rough off of every tee box, your rabbit ears are less likely to pick up seemingly benign questions.)

• 4 weeks later...

The amazing thing to me is that not only is he probably going to fade Jack (a great golfer in his own right) by 2011, he's on pace to easily fade Sam Snead with 88 Tour wins. That's a record I didn't foresee being broken, but Tiger's goal is to win every event, regardless if it's a major or not.

When all is said and done, he'll be regarded as the all time best by most people, if not everyone.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...2301558_pf.html

Tiger Woods, 32, has 64 PGA Tour wins. Not only is it inevitable he will shatter Sam Snead's all-time record of 82 PGA Tour victories, Tiger's also on pace to break Cy Young's seemingly unreachable mark of 511 wins.

Awesome. :lol: