Who will get the call?

BearSox

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
There's no way Sweeney could be worse than Pods. If he is, he's a fraud prospect. I'm really excited to see Boone back up, though. I think he's gonna do much better this time around.

You know better than that.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
Alright. You got me. I'm just so disgusted by Pods right now.

We all are. That being said there is always the possibility that a prospect is going to come up and struggle big time. Though I think Sweeney will be pretty quick to adjust and at least put up semi decent numbers right away, you just never know how someone will react to a callup.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
We all are. That being said there is always the possibility that a prospect is going to come up and struggle big time. Though I think Sweeney will be pretty quick to adjust and at least put up semi decent numbers right away, you just never know how someone will react to a callup.

I just want to see Ozzie give Ryan one start in LF. What better way to let a guy know that you suck and we have no problem replacing you than to stick a 20-year old with no major league experience in your spot. If that doesn't wake Pods up, nothing will.

It would be really, really great if Haeger could perform well in this stint. Not only would it give the Sox another pitching option next year if they decided to deal 2 starting pitchers...but it would also push Charlie's trade value higher. Right now, teams are too nervous to go and deal for a minor league knuckleballer because no one knows for sure what he'd actually give you in the big leagues. If he could come up and get people out for a month, that'd be dynamite in helping him wind up with a starting job somewhere next year.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
Any chance Heath Phillips can make it up? I think he could be a difference maker.

He's not on the 40 man, and he's likely not going to come up, if he does, until the AAA playoffs are over. It'd be neat to see waht he can do, but he's roadblocked by Boone.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
He's not on the 40 man, and he's likely not going to come up, if he does, until the AAA playoffs are over. It'd be neat to see waht he can do, but he's roadblocked by Boone.

Phillips is in Cuba right now, and I don't think he'll be back in time for the IL playoffs.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
Phillips is in Cuba right now, and I don't think he'll be back in time for the IL playoffs.

Farnsworth is too.

Even considering that Farnsworth is a AAAA reliever, and Phillips has mediocre stuff, I did want to see them come up, if only to eat some innings here and there. Who knows, maybe you catch lightning in a bottle for a month and they are solid relievers for us down the stretch.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
BTW, Sweeney is not on the 40 man, correct? What does that exactly mean for September?

That if we want to call him up, we have to put him into one of those open spots we have on our 40 man roster. At which point, we can't take him off unless someone thinks he could clear waivers.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
That if we want to call him up, we have to put him into one of those open spots we have on our 40 man roster. At which point, we can't take him off unless someone thinks he could clear waivers.

There's really no reason not to put him on the 40-man. He has to be protected from the Rule-5 this off-season, so doing it now, with the open spots we have, is just moving a couple of months early.