what is up with Cotts?

Bubba Philips

Pretty mich just so-so strikeout rates and hit rates. Hit rates definatley don't tel the whole story, usually thru only a handfull of innings it could just be bad luck, but its definatley a huge increase from last season's rate.

His K rates suck too. K/9 is arguably the most important metric regarding a stud RP.

Anyone else notice the HR rate either. Last season his HR/9 rate was a miniscule, 0.14 per game. He only gave up one dinger in 60.1 innings, this season 1.33 HR/G, he's already given up 7 in 47.2 innings.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)
What is the matter with Cotts?

He's not surprising the hitters anymore. Not to mention he only throws 1 pitch for strikes, (his fastball) and unless he's pinpoint with it, he's going to get hit hard...... He needs to start making more quality pitches and getting his breaking ball over. If he does that, he'll be fine

Edited by CYGarland

Earlier during todays game I posted that Cotts should be given a chance to be a staerter next year. I think Neal needs to learn how to suceed as a relief pitcher first. The homeruns and othr base knocks allowed are becoming alarming to me. It seems every appearnce means a couple runs allowed by Cotts

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
Earlier during todays game I posted that Cotts should be given a chance to be a staerter next year. I think Neal needs to learn how to suceed as a relief pitcher first. The homeruns and othr base knocks allowed are becoming alarming to me. It seems every appearnce means a couple runs allowed by Cotts

:huh

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
I don't get it, either. How the hell could a guy with 1 1/2 pitches start? And didn't he "learn" to pitch in relief last year? It's more like he needs to re-learn how to pitch in relief. He's been brutal this month. Awful.

Exactly, a RP or even a situational pitcher can usually get away with throwing fastballs or one pitch 80-90% of the time and still be productive.

But as a starter, something like that wouldn't go.