Powerpoint Slide Show

Texsox

I put together a promotional slide show with about 120 pictures. The damn thing will not load on some machines, takes forever. I also need it to be self starting, or, at a minimum, not need Powerpoint to start. Can this be done?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 06:43 AM)
I put together a promotional slide show with about 120 pictures. The damn thing will not load on some machines, takes forever. I also need it to be self starting, or, at a minimum, not need Powerpoint to start. Can this be done?

What sort of machines are you trying to load it onto, and what format are the pictures in? The easiest way to correct PPT flaws I've found is to go in and manually convert every photo to JPG format, because usually everything that can install powerpoint can read those. Also, if having it take forever to load is a problem, you have a couple options. If you're converting things to JPG anyway, it may be worth the effort to save the images as a smaller file size. Depending on the size of the screen you're presenting on, you may be able to get away with each of them being a few tens of kb...if you're loading 2 mb images, then it's going to take forever no matter what, and you're never going to need that sort of detail unless you're projecting on the moon. Smaller file sizes might make it easier for older machines to read the files as well.

I'm afraid the "Self-starting" part I simply don't know how to help you with. You might be able to get away with it by putting a link to the exact file in your "Startup" folder in the start menu, but that's just a guess.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
What sort of machines are you trying to load it onto, and what format are the pictures in? The easiest way to correct PPT flaws I've found is to go in and manually convert every photo to JPG format, because usually everything that can install powerpoint can read those. Also, if having it take forever to load is a problem, you have a couple options. If you're converting things to JPG anyway, it may be worth the effort to save the images as a smaller file size. Depending on the size of the screen you're presenting on, you may be able to get away with each of them being a few tens of kb...if you're loading 2 mb images, then it's going to take forever no matter what, and you're never going to need that sort of detail unless you're projecting on the moon. Smaller file sizes might make it easier for older machines to read the files as well.

I'm afraid the "Self-starting" part I simply don't know how to help you with. You might be able to get away with it by putting a link to the exact file in your "Startup" folder in the start menu, but that's just a guess.

Thank you, I was just looking at the resolution and discovered saved resolution and projected resolution are different.

I will be sending this to about 100 people over the next couple weeks and I need for any of them to be able to open the program. I was using MGI Photosuit but developed some issues there and decided on Powerpoint, I assumed they had an option to create a .exe and just have it run and not require the user to have ppt

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
Thank you, I was just looking at the resolution and discovered saved resolution and projected resolution are different.

I will be sending this to about 100 people over the next couple weeks and I need for any of them to be able to open the program. I was using MGI Photosuit but developed some issues there and decided on Powerpoint, I assumed they had an option to create a .exe and just have it run and not require the user to have ppt

Hmph, I'm afraid that if there is such an option, an easy way to open a ppt file as an EXE, I don't know how to do it. And I for one am always nervous about opening ANY .exe file from anyone, unless I actually speak to them on the phone or in person and they say "Yes, this is ok to open (I don't trust email for that purpose, since virii can fake emails quite easily.)"

But, I do think that there are some software programs which could be purchased/obtained to do the task for you. Quick download.com search turned up this one (hope the link works), free to try, like $50 to buy. If you just go to Download.com and search for Powerpoint, you'll find a fairly long list of file convertors on there. Not sure if any of them are any good, try to follow reviews for that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
Hmph, I'm afraid that if there is such an option, an easy way to open a ppt file as an EXE, I don't know how to do it. And I for one am always nervous about opening ANY .exe file from anyone, unless I actually speak to them on the phone or in person and they say "Yes, this is ok to open (I don't trust email for that purpose, since virii can fake emails quite easily.)"

But, I do think that there are some software programs which could be purchased/obtained to do the task for you. Quick download.com search turned up this one (hope the link works), free to try, like $50 to buy. If you just go to Download.com and search for Powerpoint, you'll find a fairly long list of file convertors on there. Not sure if any of them are any good, try to follow reviews for that.

This will be sent on their request from the Boy Scout office to Scout leaders, so the trust issue should be covered.

Thanks for the link. I am also looking for a batch program to convert all these pictures to lower resolution.