Can the Sox and Minny both go to the playoffs?

beck72

Detroit's recent slide seems an awful lot like Boston's. Some of their weaknesses are now coming out when they play against a good ball club [and Texas isn't half the team the Yankees are]. And the young players who carried them so far now seem to be hitting a wall. I know 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 games are a lot to make up for both teams. But the Sox seem to match up a lot better vs. Detroit than Minny. I don't see the Twins fading at all. But the Tigers run seems to be coming to a halt.

The sox take care of the Tigers and they're right back into it. Minny keeps on winning and has an easier rest of the yr than most teams. IIRC, the Twins play only 20 or so games vs. teams with a winning record. As long as Detroit fades--and the sox 4 game series starting today can do a lot of damage to Detroit's chances---I don't care about the Twins. Even with their injuries, the Twins keep plugging away and don't seem to be fading one bit.

As long as the sox win 2 of 3 the rest of the way [i believe the sox are on just that pace from the run vs the Yanks, Tigers and Twins--6-3 overall], the sox should get into the playoffs regardless of what the Tigers and Twins do. But I will root for the Tigers to lose every game the rest of the way.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
Detroit's recent slide seems an awful lot like Boston's. Some of their weaknesses are now coming out when they play against a good ball club [and Texas isn't half the team the Yankees are]. And the young players who carried them so far now seem to be hitting a wall. I know 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 games are a lot to make up for both teams. But the Sox seem to match up a lot better vs. Detroit than Minny. I don't see the Twins fading at all. But the Tigers run seems to be coming to a halt.

The sox take care of the Tigers and they're right back into it. Minny keeps on winning and has an easier rest of the yr than most teams. IIRC, the Twins play only 20 or so games vs. teams with a winning record. As long as Detroit fades--and the sox 4 game series starting today can do a lot of damage to Detroit's chances---I don't care about the Twins. Even with their injuries, the Twins keep plugging away and don't seem to be fading one bit.

As long as the sox win 2 of 3 the rest of the way [i believe the sox are on just that pace from the run vs the Yanks, Tigers and Twins--6-3 overall], the sox should get into the playoffs regardless of what the Tigers and Twins do. But I will root for the Tigers to lose every game the rest of the way.

I hope to god that the Twins dont make the playoffs. If dont matchup well with them at all.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)
The Tigers would have to do a lot more than fade for them to not atleast get the WC. More like collapse.

Not really. Considering how well the Twins are playing, if the Sox end up passing the Tigers, there's a very good chance the Twins would pass them also. It's too bad the Twins and Tigers don't play 10 times the rest of this year.

We'll know the answer to this question in 4 games. If we sweep those 4, I say yes. If we split or worse, the answer is no.

Both us and Minny would have to leapfrog Detroit in 40 games. Which means both of us need to keep playing well, Detroit needs to keep playing poorly, and they can't make up too much ground while the Twins and White Sox play each other.

Liriano and Verlander are also big pieces of that puzzle, and God only knows what each of them will be able to bring to the table the rest of the year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
Liriano and Verlander are also big pieces of that puzzle, and God only knows what each of them will be able to bring to the table the rest of the year.

Liriano is the big if. If he comes back...MAYBE. If not the only good SP the Twins have is Johan. How they've gotten by with Silva, Boofer and Radke's batting practice tosses is beyond me.

Looking at this point last yr [8-21], the sox were up 8 1/2 games on Clev. The sox "slide" [going 20-15 .571 ball, from 8-21 to the clinch date 9-28] was more Cleveland playing out of their minds. The sox play solid ball and Det. plays poorly, anything can happen.

that's what makes this series big

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Radke has been one of the best pitchers in baseball since the end of May.

Like I said...I don't know how he's gotten by with a torn rotator cuff and all. His fastball tops out at what...85 now. He rely's strictly on location of a curveball, his 85 mph fastball and changeups that range from 75 to 80mph...that and cortisone.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
Like I said...I don't know how he's gotten by with a torn rotator cuff and all. His fastball tops out at what...85 now. He rely's strictly on location of a curveball, his 85 mph fastball and changeups that range from 75 to 80mph...that and cortisone.

We have 2 guys in our rotation that fit that bill. And they are both healthy . :ph34r:

None of the AL Central teams have been playing very well in August. :/

Edit: Despite the "OMG THE TWINS ARE ON FIRE" stuff, they are only 11-8 in August, if they were really so unstoppable they would most likely be ahead of Chicago and only be a game or two behind Detroit with the way we've been struggling..

Edited by loltrain

I think Detroit is in a definate tailspin... but my honest opinion is that we don't have the level of pitching required to make up the 5&1/2 games. We just drop too many games when Vazquez, Buehrle & Garcia pitch. If we somehow return to 2005 form (pitching wise) we can do it, but I think that is unlikely at this point.

Detroit would have to collapse for us to overtake them and I don't think they will. I think we're capable of .600 baseball the rest of the way - but I don't think that's enough to pass the Tigers (If they finish 18-19 we have to play .666 the rest of the way to tie).

QUOTE(SoxnGiants @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
I think Detroit is in a definate tailspin... but my honest opinion is that we don't have the level of pitching required to make up the 5&1/2 games. We just drop too many games when Vazquez, Buehrle & Garcia pitch. If we somehow return to 2005 form (pitching wise) we can do it, but I think that is unlikely at this point.

Detroit would have to collapse for us to overtake them and I don't think they will. I think we're capable of .600 baseball the rest of the way - but I don't think that's enough to pass the Tigers (If they finish 18-19 we have to play .666 the rest of the way to tie).

Ther's no Phawkin way! Detroit's too far ahead and their pitching is what ours was last year. So forget it. Let's just stay ahead of the Twinkerbells and call it a season....only to get our asses kicked by Oakland in the ALDS.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
Ther's no Phawkin way! Detroit's too far ahead and their pitching is what ours was last year. So forget it. Let's just stay ahead of the Twinkerbells and call it a season....only to get our asses kicked by Oakland in the ALDS.

We'd more than likely play the Yankees. I'd love to see our staff against that offense in the playoffs.