Sox lose game 1 to Tigers

CYGarland

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
Will our starting pitching atleast be decent?
tell me if the statistics to prove this but why when any decent outing against the sox they are hitting the ball early in the count. Hell I don't know why they took Verlander out and put in Zumaya. Why do the sox hitters prefer to hit the first few pitches . What is wrong with running up the pitch count against a good pitcher. We didn't even put a sweat on Verlander. Why didn't Jose go for the kill and skirt the plate. He wasn't however afraid to let the ball get away from him and hit a couple batters. This is the first time I ever shut the tv off and I've been following them since 1955.

It sure sucks that our only hope is we pull our heads out of our ass eventually.

Losing 5 of 7 this time of year is ridiculous.

We just ain't that good despite the fact we are 22 over .500.

There really are no positives right now.

We just lost five of six to Minnesota and a slumping Det. team

appears primed to pull a Yankee-Red Sox thumping on us.

Can we somehow win 2 games in this series????

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)
Quick stat I heard: When Podsednik swings and puts the first pitch of the AB into play, his batting average is about .140. That's ungodly low.

That is a stat Podsednik should hear. And hear again. And again.

He should also then be beaten with the PFC every time he even thinks about swinging at the first pitch.

Edited by witesoxfan

When they took 2 of 3 from the yankees and then promptly swept the Tigers I was convinced this team had turned the corner. I just didn't realize it was into a dead end.

Pretty angry right now. I generally enjoy watching my team play baseball.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)
Quick stat I heard: When Podsednik swings and puts the first pitch of the AB into play, his batting average is about .140. That's ungodly low.

no correlation, but: when he gets one hit Sox win over 75% of the time. When he doesn't they lose 60% of the time.

Konerko is playing like dogs*** right now. Just saying.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
Our best hitter is batting fifth.

Our worst hitter is batting first.

Our two best defensive players didn't have to pay to watch the game.

Our best reliever pitched to three batters in the 6th inning.

Need I go on.

Dye should be batting third, with Thome fourth and Konerko fifth.

honestly this is ridiculous

yes they sucked tonight, yes they haven't been playing well, yes there are plenty of problems that are not fixed right now

but this board is acting like its the apocalypse, when its not. The team has shown that it will not be consistent, but if inconsistency has brought us to where we are now, why should we have any reason to believe we will suddenly collapse and fall out of contention just because we aren't playing better than we did recently?

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 04:51 AM)
but this board is acting like its the apocalypse, when its not. The team has shown that it will not be consistent, but if inconsistency has brought us to where we are now, why should we have any reason to believe we will suddenly collapse and fall out of contention just because we aren't playing better than we did recently?

I went back and read every post, and in this three page thread, there was only one comment that said the division is over. There was not a single post that said this team has no chance to make the playoffs.

honestly this is ridiculous

yes they sucked tonight, yes they haven't been playing well, yes there are plenty of problems that are not fixed right now

This team doesn't need to "suddenly collapse" to not make the playoffs. Basically, we are in a two-game WC race with the Twins. The Tigers are too far ahead for THIS White Sox team to catch them. If the Sox continue this inconsistent, lackluster play and continue to win at the rate they've been on since the ASB, then the Twins will very shortly overtake us and accelerate far away from us. They've been playing very well for quite a while. To get to the playoffs, you have to play well and play better than the other contenders. We've been outplayed by the Twins for nearly two months. THAT is why this doesn't look like it's going to be a playoff team.

A few hours later, and I'm over this loss. I do love baseball. And I agree with what JD had to say about the loss:

"He was lights out," Dye said. "No matter who was facing him, that team wouldn't have had a chance. Besides the homer he gave up, he kept everyone off base and came up with ground balls and flies to get out of innings.

"We have enough veteran leadership to know to tip your hat to that guy, but tomorrow is another day, and we'll come out ready to play. Just by the way we've played this team this year is confidence in itself."

come back and get them tomorrow

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 11:56 PM)
I kinda do a combo of both, and I do not get nearly as upset as I used to.

I just say... I've grown up/got a life. ;)

i just look at the positives now or back up a particular player way more than I did when I joined at the stellar age of 18.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
I went back and read every post, and in this three page thread, there was only one comment that said the division is over. There was not a single post that said this team has no chance to make the playoffs.

sorry I posted this after reading through the plea for sox fans thread, and figured that this thread was more or less the same

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 11:56 PM)
This team doesn't need to "suddenly collapse" to not make the playoffs. Basically, we are in a two-game WC race with the Twins. The Tigers are too far ahead for THIS White Sox team to catch them. If the Sox continue this inconsistent, lackluster play and continue to win at the rate they've been on since the ASB, then the Twins will very shortly overtake us and accelerate far away from us. They've been playing very well for quite a while. To get to the playoffs, you have to play well and play better than the other contenders. We've been outplayed by the Twins for nearly two months. THAT is why this doesn't look like it's going to be a playoff team.

my point was that if inconsistency has given us a lead, why will inconsistency suddenly blow it?

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 04:59 AM)
"We have enough veteran leadership to know to tip your hat to that guy, but tomorrow is another day, and we'll come out ready to play. Just by the way we've played this team this year is confidence in itself."

Well, that's 4 times now out of our last 5 losses where we tipped our cap to the starting pitcher. Pretty soon, we need our offense to step up and put up some more runs no matter who's on the mound.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 05:01 AM)
my point was that if inconsistency has given us a lead, why will inconsistency suddenly blow it?

I think people are worried that we'll continue to play .500 ball the rest of the way (like we've been doing since the ASB), and the Twins will continue to play at such a high rate.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
I think people are worried that we'll continue to play .500 ball the rest of the way (like we've been doing since the ASB), and the Twins will continue to play at such a high rate.

I kind of see that, but without Liriano they lost half of the reason that they got so hot, and now there left to one incredible pitcher and a surging offense to carry them which is pretty much what we have anyways(if you combine some guys they probably equal santana eventually), so outside of head-to-head matchups I don't think its time to panic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
When the Sox are in a hole(like tonight) the only reason I go on is to make sure the game thread is staying clean. If I wasn't a Mod, it would be pointless to enter the game thread. It's a cesspool of negativity, and it only gets me more upset about the game at hand. It just isnt worth it.

I feel ya bro and I agree.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 05:07 AM)
I kind of see that, but without Liriano they lost half of the reason that they got so hot, and now there left to one incredible pitcher and a surging offense to carry them which is pretty much what we have anyways(if you combine some guys they probably equal santana eventually), so outside of head-to-head matchups I don't think its time to panic

Good post....we need to find a way for our offense to start clicking again. It's amazing the production that the Twins are getting from so many no-named guys like Tyner, Bartlett, Punto, Redmond, etc.

When Thome was out a few weeks ago, I really thought AJ did well at #3. His slap-hitting added a lot of dynamic to a top of the order that was stagnating. I would really like to see what either he or Dye could do in that slot as a shake-up.

There were a lot of variables clicking at the right time for last year's Sox, but I feel that the batting order shakeups had at least a little something to do with our jumpstart to avert the collapse of a 15-game lead.

It seems that what Thome is doing a lot of lately is grounding out to second, while JD is swinging the hot stick. What kind of difference would it make to get JD in the box in the first to either get on or move the line. As well as Cintron has been hitting, I'd be curious to see how he does leading off.

Also, BA has been swinging the bat well in the second half of the postseason. Originally there was talk at putting Crede at #9 to protect BA, which has not yet happened.

Just for a game, just to see what happens, I'd like to see a lineup like this:

1. Cintron SS

2. Iguchi 2B

3. Dye RF

4. Konerko 1B

5. Thome DH

6. Pierzynski C

7. Mackowiak LF

8. Anderson CF

9. Crede 3B

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
Well, that's 4 times now out of our last 5 losses where we tipped our cap to the starting pitcher. Pretty soon, we need our offense to step up and put up some more runs no matter who's on the mound.

Our offense performance against Bernero and Hernandez was pretty much inexcusable. But in the last 4 games we've faced off against Bonser (a lefty, and we've struggled against them this season), Radke, Santana and Verlander. So that 2 SP's who have had very good seasons, one who is rebounding, and then Bonser who I was still dissapointed with our performance against.

Hitters like Iguchi (.654 OPS vs. lefties), Anderson (.574 OPS vs. lefties), and Uribe (.679 OPS vs lefties), really do need to step it up against them.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
Nothin' much to say. Another horrible outing from a starting pitcher. Terrible approach/at-bats against a very talented pitcher.

Yeah, what he said. The SOX need to win all 4 games to gain 4 games. The best they can do now is win the rest and only gain 2 games now.