Sox @ Detroit

Heads22

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
Shame on Williams for trading and signing up a pitching staff that was the core of a World Series Champion, shame on him.

There was absolutely no way to predict this. The only thing you could potentially slam/argue is the Vazquez move, thats it.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
Every single team in baseball would jump at the chance to have Mark Buehrle for 9.5 million.

Obviously, people are DESPERATE for a lefty SP that takes the ball. That doesn't change the fact he's been figured out and sucks though, and although he'll be back, i'm not happy about it at all. It's 9.5 million of bad money on the payroll.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
Shame on Williams for trading and signing up a pitching staff that was the core of a World Series Champion, shame on him.

Yeah, even I'm sticking up for Sox organization members in regards to this argument.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
Nobody wants to trade for an underachiever, you don't trade guys at minimum value. Plus, the payroll number doesn't change the unexpected dropoff by this pitching staff. The only way this year is Kenny's fault is if YOU predicted the pitching rotation would be this bad, becasue even if they were just mediocre, we'd be a playoff team.

Define "mediocre"....That's middle of the pack, right?

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
I'm with Fathom on this one. Do you really think a rookie pitcher who has never pitched above AA can't have a 5+ ERA? Broadway is no Liriano or Verlander...not yet at least.

Broadway could come up and pitch a 6 ERA, and we'd save 9 million dollars on a pitcher with an ERA that's only 3/4 of a run worse than Buehrle. Not bad.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
Given Contreras's very advanced age, do you really think signing him to a long-term contract was a good idea?

Yes, I think he has 3 solid years in him. Of course, I do have concerns that he might require offseason surgery (same with Thome).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
Broadway could come up and pitch a 6 ERA, and we'd save 9 million dollars on a pitcher with an ERA that's only 3/4 of a run worse than Buehrle. Not bad.

Mark Buehrle won't have a 6 ERA for the entire season, especially in a contract year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)

At this point, they can get just about anybody and they'll do just as good (rather, just as bad!!!).

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 07:17 PM)
Mark Buehrle won't have a 6 ERA for the entire season, especially in a contract year.

He's not a guy with great stuff pitching like crap (Vasquez). Contract year isn't going to change the fact his stuff and approach are well known and not good enough to get legit major league hitters out.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
Broadway can't be any worse than Buehrle has been in 2007, and bringing him up, trading Garcia, and putting McCarthy in the pen gives us A TON of payroll flexibility while seeing what we have for the future. I'd MUCH rather do that then keep overpaid dead weight, wouldn't you?

I wouldn't mind, personally, but I'd like to see how he fares in AAA. And how Buehrle recovers next season.

Remember, we're attempting to replace a fresh arm with a starting pitcher typically among the league leaders in innings pitched. I doubt McCarthy will pitch 200 next season. Broadway couldn't be expected to, either. I'm not too comfortable with that.

Fathom, I hope you are right, but this is really getting to be a worry. I just logged on to MLB and see through 4 inning Buerhle has given up 7 hits and 2 walks plus 3 runs. Our offense hasn't done anything against Rogers yet, who has been getting racked by others.

Yes, I think he has 3 solid years in him. Of course, I do have concerns that he might require offseason surgery (same with Thome).

I think Contreras is likely around 41 right now and he has a TON of innings under his belt over his very long career in Cuba. I think all of those innings at a young age catch up with you. Typically being a 40 year old pitcher catches up with you. I doubt he has 3 years ahead of him that are good. I think he has DL stints, arm troubles and inconsistent pitching ahead of him.