El Caballo

CanOfCorn

Yet another reason why the White Sox never had and never will be interested in him again.

The rumor thus far is that Texas is really interested in holding onto Lee this offseason. Given that Texas and Boras seem to have a "Thank you Sir may I have another!" sort of relationship, i can't tell if this helps or hurts that cause.

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Cardinals are losing money on a few pitchers who maybe gone and need an OF. Go get him, Jocketty.

I fear him landing on the North Side.

Oh if he lands on the North Side he'll just get hurt somehow.

Anyway, I think Lee may be too expensive for the Cardinals to really make a run at considering how many slots in their rotation they're going to need to fill next year. Unless they're getting a lot of additional revenue from that new ballpark, can't say I know for sure. I think the Cards' offense can be fine if they just find *Someone* to stick out in the outfield, but they need pitching.

Houston on the other hand, has Bagwell and Clemens' contracts coming off the book, has room in their outfield, and really, really could use a guy to aim for that short porch in LF. If you want to be scared of him going to the NL Central, Houston's the one that should scare you.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)
Ive heard the Cubs connect to both Carlos Lee and Soriano... that would be something else if they ended up signing both. Add those two into a mix with Derek Lee and Ramirez.. not 2 mention a plus hitting catcher in Barrett and they could have a pretty nasty lineup.

That'll never happen. They're always "connected" with all the big names in free agency but never get them. Cubs' fans always think they're going to get Ramirez, or Furcal, or Tejada, or Beltran, or Thome, or Rodriguez (Alex and Ivan), but they end up with Jones, or Maddux, or Hawkins, or Howry, or Eyre. The Cubs don't spend the money to sign guys that could actually help them significantly, they spend just enough money to get second-tier guys that appease the fan base just enough to keep them relatively happy.

They'll probably end up signing someone like Jamie Moyer, Mark Redman or Ted Lilly, and maybe Frank Cattlanato or Jose Cruz Jr. for leftfield. Either that or they'll trade for someone moderately better, maybe a Patt Burrell-type. But there's no way they end up signing one of the top guys on the market.

The Cardinals have dealt with Boras in the past so it will be interesting. Wainwright, Reyes, and Carpenter have 3 of the five spots pretty cheaply although they then need to sign bullpen arms too. I don't think the move to Boras here means that much because his last agent was a superagent too so this is a little different than most defections. Although, this does end hopes of a late season extension for Texas. THis might impact the eventual Teixera negotiations so that will be intriguing

I thought the Astros would definitely be interested in him, but they don't like dealing with Bora$$ now after the whole Beltran fiasco.

I'd imagine he'll get a very good deal from a team somewhere. Remember that Bora$$ got Maggs a 5 year $75M deal.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
They'll probably end up signing someone like Jamie Moyer, Mark Redman or Ted Lilly, and maybe Frank Cattlanato or Jose Cruz Jr. for leftfield. Either that or they'll trade for someone moderately better, maybe a Patt Burrell-type. But there's no way they end up signing one of the top guys on the market.

Don't forget the fact that it seems Aramis Ramirez is going to opt out of his Contract...so either the Cubs will have more money to not spend, or they'll wind up spending more money out of desperation to keep someone at 3rd.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
Don't forget the fact that it seems Aramis Ramirez is going to opt out of his Contract...so either the Cubs will have more money to not spend, or they'll wind up spending more money out of desperation to keep someone at 3rd.

They seem to generally keep their own players of late, so my guess would be that they'll throw a lot of money at him to keep him around. If he does go, then they might throw a decent sum of money at someone. I still have a hard time seeing them committing something like 5-65 to Soriano or Lee though.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 08:39 AM)
They seem to generally keep their own players of late, so my guess would be that they'll throw a lot of money at him to keep him around. If he does go, then they might throw a decent sum of money at someone. I still have a hard time seeing them committing something like 5-65 to Soriano or Lee though.

I agree that they probably won't land Soriano or Lee, but I think they will make a legit run at Zito...if for no other reason than the fact that they'll need something that looks like a pitching staff to start next season if they still want to make sure to sell every seat.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)
Ive heard the Cubs connect to both Carlos Lee and Soriano... that would be something else if they ended up signing both. Add those two into a mix with Derek Lee and Ramirez.. not 2 mention a plus hitting catcher in Barrett and they could have a pretty nasty lineup.

And no pitching

Bob

Seems things have changed, Borass is going to be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiised....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2559736

Just a few days after authorizing Scott Boras as his new representative, Lee apparently has changed course. Texas general manager Jon Daniels said the Rangers received a phone call Wednesday informing the club that Lee plans to retain his original agents, Adam Katz and Tom Reich.

Reich, in a phone conversation with ESPN.com Thursday morning, confirmed that Lee is still represented by his group. Lee has been a Reich and Katz client for the past eight years.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
Seems things have changed, Borass is going to be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiised....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2559736

Good. Screw Boras.

Lee doesn't even need Boras to get a big contract. One could argue that Magglio needed to hire someone to pimp him out after possible being damaged goods. Lee is going to get his money.

Bob

I doubt Lee lands with the Cubs now. Boras means big money, and when is the last time the Cubs spent huge money on a top free agent (and no, Greg Maddux doesn't count).

EDIT: No more Boras?? Cubs might still have a shot then....although you know they'll just cheap out for 2nd rate free agents like they always do. Ahh the Cubs...

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I doubt Lee lands with the Cubs now. Boras means big money, and when is the last time the Cubs spent huge money on a top free agent (and no, Greg Maddux doesn't count).

EDIT: No more Boras?? Cubs might still have a shot then....although you know they'll just cheap out for 2nd rate free agents like they always do. Ahh the Cubs...

They don't even go after the marquee players. They just pretend they do to maintian PR.