New Terror Threat: Violins On-Board Plans

Texsox

By Mike Collett-White

LONDON (Reuters) - Musicians flying to and from Britain are being forced to put delicate and valuable instruments into aircraft holds, and one U.S. orchestra canceled its tour after new security measures were imposed.

The British Musicians' Union said Tuesday that rules introduced this month after a suspected plot to blow up aircraft between Britain and the United States could have a "devastating impact."

"Many artists, who generate significant income when working abroad, are having their livelihoods threatened by being unable to take their instruments onto an aircraft as hand luggage," said the union's assistant general secretary Horace Trubridge.

The problem is most of their insurance policies only cover the instrument if the musician is carrying it.

More at link

He said replacement costs for an instrument in excess of 30,000 pounds ($57,000) were "not uncommon."

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
The problem is most of their insurance policies only cover the instrument if the musician is carrying it.

More at link

He said replacement costs for an instrument in excess of 30,000 pounds ($57,000) were "not uncommon."

Noy having the musical ability to play a violin, is it really necessary to spend $57,000 on a quality instrument? I know there is a difference between say a $100 violin and a $1000 violin, but where does the added money stop adding value? I used to play tennis, and could tell the difference between a $50 K-mart special and a good $250 racquet, but there is a point where the added money just doesn't provide that big of a difference. Or is it just for 'status', like a rappers bling?

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 02:27 AM)
According to my friend with his MA at Julliard, it's a big difference.

I would bet that if you had them listen to some one play a piece on a $52,000 violen, and then the same person play the same piece on one half the price, they couldn't tell the difference. I can tell you that 99% of the people listening to the music couldn't. However, its 'ease of play, or the way it feels to the musician may be the important factor, even if most people can't tell a difference in sound.

This is getting ridiculous....Im all for added safety pre-cautions after 9/11 but it has to stop somewhere... they are restricting some of the most idiotic stuff. Not 2 mention now the door to the pilots is locked so any terrorist wouldnt be able to break in and now that people know what the terrorist would plan to do they wouldnt let them take over the plane anyways.

Also the United States is the worse.... I always have to go to the side and be seperately scanned and have my s*** gone through just because the color of my skin. I get back from China with a tour group there are mexicans, asian, russian people.... but yep Im the only one dragged to the side even though I have lived my entire life in America...

Not 2 mention my little cousin who was 1-2 years old at the time couldnt get a visa to come to America because he had the same name as a terrorist....Its just beyond ridiculous....

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
Noy having the musical ability to play a violin, is it really necessary to spend $57,000 on a quality instrument? I know there is a difference between say a $100 violin and a $1000 violin, but where does the added money stop adding value? I used to play tennis, and could tell the difference between a $50 K-mart special and a good $250 racquet, but there is a point where the added money just doesn't provide that big of a difference. Or is it just for 'status', like a rappers bling?

I think you make a good point, and I think the analogy works well with lots of sporting equipment. And yeah, musicians are often concerned with appearance and status (yes, even classical musicians, who I've known a few of). But, like with sporting equipment, I think that it depends on what level you play at. To 99% of people, for example, anything above a $300 tennis racket will probably give you almost the exact same results. The extra thousand you pay for a $1500 racket only buys you a small sliver of improvement. But, if you are a high end pro, doesn't that small sliver make a difference? Even though it is very costly?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
This is getting ridiculous....Im all for added safety pre-cautions after 9/11 but it has to stop somewhere... they are restricting some of the most idiotic stuff. Not 2 mention now the door to the pilots is locked so any terrorist wouldnt be able to break in and now that people know what the terrorist would plan to do they wouldnt let them take over the plane anyways.

Also the United States is the worse.... I always have to go to the side and be seperately scanned and have my s*** gone through just because the color of my skin. I get back from China with a tour group there are mexicans, asian, russian people.... but yep Im the only one dragged to the side even though I have lived my entire life in America...

Not 2 mention my little cousin who was 1-2 years old at the time couldnt get a visa to come to America because he had the same name as a terrorist....Its just beyond ridiculous....

The color of your skin? I wonder then why I've been pulled to the side and had my stuff gone through. Huh? Must be my red hair. They think I'm a Communist. GMAFB!

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
I would bet that if you had them listen to some one play a piece on a $52,000 violen, and then the same person play the same piece on one half the price, they couldn't tell the difference. I can tell you that 99% of the people listening to the music couldn't. However, its 'ease of play, or the way it feels to the musician may be the important factor, even if most people can't tell a difference in sound.

I'm not a trained, but I can tell the difference. I bet most people could, a good violin has a pure crisp sound. It really is surprisingly obvious.

And if I'm paying $50 to go see some orchestra, you better bet they should not be giving me a "Bob's Discount Viola" sound. . .

QUOTE(mreye @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
The color of your skin? I wonder then why I've been pulled to the side and had my stuff gone through. Huh? Must be my red hair. They think I'm a Communist. GMAFB!

Im sorry but when you travel a lot like myself... and everytime you get pulled to the side... I think it has something to do w/ the color of my skin. Especially since a few of those times I was with groups of many ethnicities and im the only one pulled aside.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE(mreye @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)

So, you don't think they do racial profiling for those searches?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 09:11 AM)
Im sorry but when you travel a lot like myself... and everytime you get pulled to the side... I think it has something to do w/ the color of my skin. Especially since a few of those times I was with groups of many ethnicities and im the only one pulled aside.

My old boss gets pulled to the side all the time - every time. Want a description of him? White. White collar. Perfect hair. Dresses perfectly. He travels with his boyfriend, who always goes through without a problem - he's black.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
So, you don't think they do racial profiling for those searches?

I think people want to scream that they are a little too quickly.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 09:11 AM)

My former co-worker gets pulled every time. She's 5'3", overweight, and Ivory White Irish. She's inquired several times and written letters to anyone that will listen. She somehow got on a list and every time she travels she is pulled aside. There is a process to get removed from that list.

Maybe inquire about why you are getting pulled before making assinine accusations.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
Im not on any list.... And you people are blind if you dont think people whose skin is brown dont get looked at more cautiosly(I know I didnt spell right) at airports than people who are white.

How do you know you aren't on any list? She didn't know she was on one until the 5th time she was stopped and asked. It's random. Ask. It's better to be informed than to be ignorant.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
How do you know you aren't on any list? She didn't know she was on one until the 5th time she was stopped and asked. It's random. Ask. It's better to be informed than to be ignorant.

I dont think Im the one being ignorant in this situation... but im just going to leave the argument at that and not respond to anything more on this thread. And I have asked why I continually get pulled to the side everytime I travel and the lady said just coincidence.... so...

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 12:53 AM)
I dont think Im the one being ignorant in this situation... but im just going to leave the argument at that and not respond to anything more on this thread. And I have asked why I continually get pulled to the side everytime I travel and the lady said just coincidence.... so...

You're being ignorant as in uninformed and assuming. If in your shoes, I wouldn't settle for playing the race card.