The Ozzie Guillen Battleground Thread

whitesoxfan101

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
I think it has more to do with Ozzie/KW not wanting to have to get rid of someone like Ozuna or Gload.

Well that would count as a PLUS for having Mackowiak in center.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
Why does anyone need to share time with Anderson? Perhaps Williams feels Anderson is the type of player who can play everyday for you and Mackowiak is capable of playing CF once a week, I certainly believe this to be true.

Anderson is the position player jewel of the farm system for the moment and is incredibly important to the team's future. That's why he should be handled with care. As far as Mackowiak goes, he's either good enough to play center or he isn't. It's that simple.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
Well that would count as a PLUS for having Mackowiak in center.

Anderson is the position player jewel of the farm system for the moment and is incredibly important to the team's future. That's why he should be handled with care. As far as Mackowiak goes, he's either good enough to play center or he isn't. It's that simple.

He's not. Anderson clearly is. Its that simple.

Wealz, you still haven't answered my question how platooning Anderson with Mack back when he struggled actually helped his development. I also know you're a Kenny Williams hater, so it's really no surprise to me that you're putting all the blame here on Kenny.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
That's well put, CC. But I also think there's more to this then people realize. BA will be playing when it matters (more), although I'm in agreement that it's getting to the point it matters EVERY GAME now.

Cmon Kap, we just played a team that we were up a half game on coming into the weekend in the wildcard and Mack played 2 of those games. How much important can it get?

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
Cmon Kap, we just played a team that we were up a half game on coming into the weekend in the wildcard and Mack played 2 of those games. How much important can it get?

So why do you think that Anderson didn't play him those two? And I'm being serious here.

Does he have something against BA?

Is BA hurt?

Are they trying to sabotage the season on purpose?

Do they think Mack is a swell guy and wants him to get PT?

Does the staff believe that the difference really isn't that great when the two of them play?

Does Ozzie feel an obligation to play Mack since we went out and got him?

I wonder what the reason is?

To me it seems pretty obvious, but maybe it isn't. Like Kap says, you never know.

Did anyone else notice that when the Twins have someone in scoring postion or had the game on the line, the hitters tried to hit the ball up the middle. It seems common philosophy that this should be the approach. However, in the first two games of the series, the Sox middle infielders were playing away from the middle of the field. it was especially noticable in the game where macdougal gave up the winning run. Every ball went up the middle. Mac got to one of them but the infielders couldn't quite get to the slowly hit ones up the middle. I don't knowif this is poor scouting or Ozzie's paln but we need to play them differently next time.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
Did anyone else notice that when the Twins have someone in scoring postion or had the game on the line, the hitters tried to hit the ball up the middle. It seems common philosophy that this should be the approach. However, in the first two games of the series, the Sox middle infielders were playing away from the middle of the field. it was especially noticable in the game where macdougal gave up the winning run. Every ball went up the middle. Mac got to one of them but the infielders couldn't quite get to the slowly hit ones up the middle. I don't knowif this is poor scouting or Ozzie's paln but we need to play them differently next time.

When you get 2 strikes against a twins hitter, you should go in on him. On 2 strikes they are looking to put the ball in play either up the middle or oppo. So you need to play to that.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
Wealz, you still haven't answered my question how platooning Anderson with Mack back when he struggled actually helped his development. I also know you're a Kenny Williams hater, so it's really no surprise to me that you're putting all the blame here on Kenny.

I'll say it. KW had more to do with the Sox winning the WS than Ozzie did.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
I'll say it. KW had more to do with the Sox winning the WS than Ozzie did.

He had an amazing offseason after the 2004 year. He really had a great plan in place.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
To me it seems pretty obvious, but maybe it isn't. Like Kap says, you never know.

What is it?

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'll never win with the Ozzie defenders, since if we don't pitch, he can't control it and if we don't hit, he can't control it, and I also am not going to rip on his strategy. I just find it interesting that this team has obviously quit, and supposedly our manager is the firey guy that gets intensity out of his players and never lets our guard down. We have quit the last 8 games now (even the first 2 vs. Tampa we didn't care), and nothing has changed. This team is going to miss the playoffs, the biggest waste of talent I've ever seen for the Sox, and when you have talent and look like you don't care, it goes to the manager.