Moving to California

LosMediasBlancas

Day 1- Chicago to West Memphis, Arkansas.

Day 2- West Memphis to Abiline, Tx.

Dat 3 (today)- Abiline to Lorsdburg, New Mexico

Day 4- Lordsburg to Palm Desert

and after we're done with this grueling and boring trip tomorrow....we get to unload and unpack.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
Day 1- Chicago to West Memphis, Arkansas.

Day 2- West Memphis to Abiline, Tx.

Dat 3 (today)- Abiline to Lorsdburg, New Mexico

Day 4- Lordsburg to Palm Desert

and after we're done with this grueling and boring trip tomorrow....we get to unload and unpack.

You took a much more southerly route than we did. Maybe a good thing. We got stuck in the middle of the mountains just west of Denver after some big rig overturned and blocked the whole freeway.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
You took a much more southerly route than we did. Maybe a good thing. We got stuck in the middle of the mountains just west of Denver after some big rig overturned and blocked the whole freeway.

Did you take I-80 at all? I'll apologize to you now for the state of Nebraska. People think Iowa is boring. Just wait til you get west out of Omaha/Council Bluffs.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
Did you take I-80 at all? I'll apologize to you now for the state of Nebraska. People think Iowa is boring. Just wait til you get west out of Omaha/Council Bluffs.

Yeah, we took 80 through most of Nebraska, then ducked south into Colorado, don't remember exactly which road that was though. Probably will be repeating the same voyage next summer, driving home to get married.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
Yeah, we took 80 through most of Nebraska, then ducked south into Colorado, don't remember exactly which road that was though. Probably will be repeating the same voyage next summer, driving home to get married.

I don't know how that stretch of highway doesn't have more cars jerked into the ditch than it does.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)

Finally made it in Monday at around 3 pm Cali. time. Internet and cable are hooked up and running.

I was driving a 20 foot truck and towing a car, so I wanted the flatest roads possible. I've heard horror stories about how tough it is to drive through the rockies and the grand canyon.

By the way, ever wonder where they film all those car commercials on open desert roads? West Texas. There is nothing and I mean NOTHING west of Dallas, except maybe El Paso.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 10:28 AM)
By the way, ever wonder where they film all those car commercials on open desert roads? West Texas. There is nothing and I mean NOTHING west of Dallas, except maybe El Paso.

They film a surprising amount of commercials up in the Mojave and in the mountains around L.A. also. You spend enough time up looking at rocks up there and you start to recognize the scenery.

Heck, just last week, I saw an ad for a GPS navigation system where the guy was using it to navigate roads, and I'm like "Hey, that's a mile west of here".

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
They film a surprising amount of commercials up in the Mojave and in the mountains around L.A. also. You spend enough time up looking at rocks up there and you start to recognize the scenery.

Heck, just last week, I saw an ad for a GPS navigation system where the guy was using it to navigate roads, and I'm like "Hey, that's a mile west of here".

"You spend enough time up looking at rocks up there and you start to recognize the scenery."

That's very interesting. I'm having a real hard time learning my way around. Part of the reason is that there are no land marks to guide you. Everything is flat and surrounded by mountains in the distance. No matter which direction you face, it all looks the same.....to me anyway. Don't get me wrong, it's all beautiful out here, but you really have to know you're way around, especially at night.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
You have time to get to know your way around or do you start working again soon?

How's the weather?

Well, I start work on Wednesday. Luckily my job is literally 10 mins. and only two turns from our new home. :)

It's been in the low 100's every day so far...BUT it's a dry heat. Believe me, 85 degrees and high humidity in Chicago feels much worse. It's supposed to hit 113 tomorrow.

Funny observation about this area: Everyone drives 100 mph an hour, but moves like a turtle once they're outside of their car. So, you'll almost get run off the road on your way to Starbucks, but they'll have no problem waiting in a 20 minute line once they're inside. Strange.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
Congrats on the job. Mrs LMB also start hers?

It's been s***ty here all week. Though it's supposed to be nice tomorrow. I hate the end of summer.

Thx, Mrs. LMB has some more time off before she starts.

I hear Chicago has been having crappy weather since we left. I keep saying it's in mourning because I'm gone. :D

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
I hear Chicago has been having crappy weather since we left. I keep saying it's in mourning because I'm gone. :D

Then what explains the SUPER-WIDE smiles on everyone's faces, and the random fireworks going off, and the free all-you-can-eat-and-drink "LMB Is Gone Fest" at Grant Park this weekend?

:P :D

Oh, and I totally agree about the "dry heat" thing. When I visited Phoenix a couple years ago, it was 105 to 110 every day, but I sweated more when I came home to 85 degree heat than I did the entire time in Arizona.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
Oh, and I totally agree about the "dry heat" thing. When I visited Phoenix a couple years ago, it was 105 to 110 every day, but I sweated more when I came home to 85 degree heat than I did the entire time in Arizona.

Yeah, my experience was the basically the same there.

I hate having the heat down here, because usually when you do you'll get a really bad breeze from the ocean, so when you walk outside, you feel like you're in a vacuum basically.

105-110 weather doesn't sound bearable, but it actually is.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)
Then what explains the SUPER-WIDE smiles on everyone's faces, and the random fireworks going off, and the free all-you-can-eat-and-drink "LMB Is Gone Fest" at Grant Park this weekend?

:P :D

"LMB Is Gone Fest" :lolhitting.

I'll let you know what 113 feels like today. By the way, we drove through Phoenix on the way here and we will definately make a visit there soon. My wife really liked what she saw there. I'm still trying to get her down to SD, I'd consider moving or having another place there.