No one is confident in this division!

Tigers Fan

I'm a tigers fan.. I came in this forum to hear a general consensus of what u guys think about the sox at this point. Seems like you guys are ready to jump off a cliff, we're reluctant to be confident because we went from awful to record breaking good in 7 months. I really think you guys are shoe in for the wild card. Especially with Liriano out. But 1 run in the last 2 games isn't like the Sox at all though! What happened to the bats? I know Verlander is tough, but if someone told me we'd hold you guys to 1 run in 2 days I woulda laughed my ass off! It's been great, but we're still waiting to wake up from this dream of having the best team in baseball. Everytime we lose a game we brace ourselves for an 8 game slide! Anyways, just wanted to see what's up, and may the best team win..

Verlander adjusted extremely well in his outing after it seemed like we had his number all season long. Our offense didn't adjust to stay with him.

Last night our offense failed to adjust to Kenny Rogers, who did not have his best stuff but still made us look like Little Leaguers. To make matters worse, we dwelled upon Dan Iassogna and the White Sox mentally conceded the game--in the second inning.

Combine that with poor outings from our starting pitching and some questionable management, the White Sox have been outplayed and outmanaged the first two games just like we were the last time we went to Comerica. Detroit was the better team those two nights and the win-loss column shows it.

What we haven't done this year with any sort of consistency is play like World Champions. We've got the best roster in the AL on paper, but our guys are underachieving. It's a hell of a feat that we're only single digits back behind Detroit right now.

Ride the wave and savor every moment. If we don't win it, I do hope your Kitties win it all. The attitude of your team reminds me so much of the "deer-in-the-headlights" look many of our players had last year. It was so very special. I'd rather your cats take it than them smug, ass-smellin' Skankees. I f***ing can't stand that Club, and am savoring the day when they see the AL East cellar. F*** 'em all!

QUOTE(Tigers Fan @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
I'm a tigers fan.. I came in this forum to hear a general consensus of what u guys think about the sox at this point. Seems like you guys are ready to jump off a cliff, we're reluctant to be confident because we went from awful to record breaking good in 7 months. I really think you guys are shoe in for the wild card. Especially with Liriano out. But 1 run in the last 2 games isn't like the Sox at all though! What happened to the bats? I know Verlander is tough, but if someone told me we'd hold you guys to 1 run in 2 days I woulda laughed my ass off! It's been great, but we're still waiting to wake up from this dream of having the best team in baseball. Everytime we lose a game we brace ourselves for an 8 game slide! Anyways, just wanted to see what's up, and may the best team win..

Your team will go far because of your lights out starting pitching, and that bullpen. Luckily for the Tigers, they started out HOT and DID NOT GIVE AWAY GAMES EARLY IN THE SEASON. That is basically the difference as the SOX are 6 games back currently and I can count on 2 hands a bunch of stupid games we gave away early on that have indeed come back to haunt us, as I had feared.

I always cheer for the Central, then the AL. So when the playoffs start, I'm confident there willbe central division teams to cheer for.

Too bad we couldn't be leading the wildcard race instead of being so far out of it.

I agree. If the Sox do not make it, I always cheer for the Central. Thus, I will be cheering for Detroit.

But LET'S NOT GET AHEAD OF OURSELVES. I would love nothing more to smoke you guys today and then kick your ass in the playoffs.

So until that day comes when and if we're out, I expect to go medieval on yo asses...

;)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
I always cheer for the Central, then the AL. So when the playoffs start, I'm confident there willbe central division teams to cheer for.

Too bad we couldn't be leading the wildcard race instead of being so far out of it.

Ever since I was a kid, I always was a fan of the AL (the sox werent that great back in the day) first and foremost, esp during the AllStar Game. Then the division the SOX are in I cheer for.

Am I the only who would root for pretty much anyone besides Detroit? I think after all of the years of Tigers/Pistons/RedWings/Lions/Vipers hating, I couldn't ever root FOR a Detroit team, even if it were against someone like the Yankees or Red Sox... I think the only exception I could make would be against the Cubs, and since that could only happen in the World Series, I don't have to worry about that one...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
Am I the only who would root for pretty much anyone besides Detroit? I think after all of the years of Tigers/Pistons/RedWings/Lions/Vipers hating, I couldn't ever root FOR a Detroit team, even if it were against someone like the Yankees or Red Sox... I think the only exception I could make would be against the Cubs, and since that could only happen in the World Series, I don't have to worry about that one...

The Tigers are the only ones out of the group I could. I think they had vision, a multi-year plan, took some risks, and have a great season to show for it. I applaud that. I love their history. I'd rather kick their sorry ass out of the playoffs, but I'd cheer for them over all the other AL teams and every NL except the Astros

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
Lets see..if Oakland, Detroit, Minnesota, and NYY make it to the playoffs this year I won't even watch it. The only team I will even remotely root for is Minnesota. The rest of those teams make me sick. :D

I'd have to root for Oakland just to see Big Frank get some AB's in the World Series . He's been kicking sum serious butt for the last few months .

No one is confident in this division? Some might be considered over confident, if you ask me.

Ozzie Guillen hopes his players were paying close attention Wednesday morning.

Noticing the local newspapers printing the Detroit Tigers' ''magic number.''

Seeing that the date for playoff tickets to be sold was announced.

Reading that third baseman Brandon Inge told local reporters: ''This series is a huge series. It gives us confidence and gives us a chance to crush their confidence.''

Guillen wants his players to take note of all that.

And then start doing something about it.

''It's good for us to see that,'' Guillen said. ''I hope it gets people pumped up. I didn't pay attention to it last year for us, but I hope we see that and we say, 'OK, you think it's going to be easy? Well, we'll make it tougher for you.'

The Tigers are now in great shape, splitting with the White Sox just about iced it. At 81 wins with 34 to go, a .500 record puts them at 98 wins which should be plenty. And the majority of their remaining games are against the less successful teams. You can spin these numbers anyway you want but I see it as the division is Detroits unless they collapse.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 06:32 AM)
The Tigers are now in great shape, splitting with the White Sox just about iced it. At 81 wins with 34 to go, a .500 record puts them at 98 wins which should be plenty. And the majority of their remaining games are against the less successful teams. You can spin these numbers anyway you want but I see it as the division is Detroits unless they collapse.

It's been months and months since a team leading the AL Central collapsed enough in Aug/Sep to make it a race . . . :gosox4:

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
I'd have to root for Oakland just to see Big Frank get some AB's in the World Series . He's been kicking sum serious butt for the last few months .

Ditto. If they made the series I would go to see him play.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)

Id have to root for Detroit. If they made it, in my opinion, they would have done so by beating the best. I hate the Pistons and Red Wings and would never root for either of those teams. I don't even know who the hell the Vipers are...so no animosity there. The Tigers I hated after that brawl with the Sox, but they have sucked so much since then, I kind of just overlooked em. Same with the Lions. It's hard to hate a team when they suck. I think when a sucky team comes back to life and plays good, you kind of gain a respect for them before you in turn start hating em. Like right now, I respect what the tiggers have done, but if they knock out the Sox...that hate will be back for em next year!!

P.S. I would never ever cheer for the Yankees. I despise everything they stand for. If the Cubs played the Yankees in the WS(haha), I would....for the first time in my life, root for the Cubs. I would then wash my mouth out with soap and sit on the shower floor wallowing in my own misery and disgust.

tubdn0.jpg

There is a pretty slim chance the Sox will take the division away from Detroit. But if there is any chance to gain some ground it will be in the next week and a half. If the Sox some how take 2 of 3 vs Minny and Detroit loses at least once vs Cleveland and we gain a game we will be just 4.5 games back. The next series' the Tigers play 3 at New York while the Sox play 3 vs Tampa. I say we can gain 2 games there. So the lead will be just 2.5 games back. And the next series Detroit plays 3 vs the Angels, while the Sox play 3 at KC. I say we can gain at least 1, maybe 2 there. So we can be just .5 to 1.5 games back in a week and half if the White Sox do their job vs the division dwellers and Detroit struggles vs some good teams.

The time is NOW to catch those Tigers. If we aren't 2.5 or less by the end of next week, then i'll be dissappointed.