Thome injury

BFirebird

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 02:43 AM)
Strained left hamstring. Will know more tomorrow. It would be a devestating blow if we had to put him on the DL.

There are three guys on this team that we absolutely can't replace, and they're Dye, Crede, and AJP.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 02:50 AM)
Fathom, not blasting you. I just wondered why you think Jim T. isn't as

irreplaceable as those 3 you mentioned.

Who we gonna have hit in JT's place?

Gload...and I think it might help spark this team. I love Thome, but he was clearly not 100 pct before the injury (wrist). This team could use a gap hitter like Gload.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 02:51 AM)
Fathom, can I please have some of what you're smokin'? It must be some goood s***.

Why's that? Those are three guys that we don't even have the slightest hint of a capable replacement for.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 02:55 AM)
I agree that all those guys can't be replaced. I don't agree for a second that Thome is replaceable.

Jim Thome pre-wrist injury was a difference maker. However, he just hasn't been as effective since his bat started to slow down. I know he's still put up great OPS numbers, but those haven't translated into a lot of runs lately. Also, if Gload does take his spot in the lineup, it will hopefully make us a little less station-to-station.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
I agree. I think that with Thome out of the line up, we might get back to Sox baseball. Gload might be that spark!

LOL. Gload is the spark? What the hell? And fathom, I'll take Thome at less than 100% over Gload when he's hot as he can possibly be anyday of the week. Thome is still hitting over .300 this month. His RBI total would look better if our leadoff man wasn't in a coma.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jim Thome pre-wrist injury was a difference maker. However, he just hasn't been as effective since his bat started to slow down. I know he's still put up great OPS numbers, but those haven't translated into a lot of runs lately. Also, if Gload does take his spot in the lineup, it will hopefully make us a little less station-to-station.

I have been hoping that they would rest Thome's wrist for a while now. He just isn't the same hitter since that has been bothering him. I agree with you about that. Maybe this will give us a chance to place him on the DL and give him some much needed rest and he can come back even stronger.

I don't know if I like Gload or Macko better. I think both would do a fine job in the lineup. Neither are as big a threat as Thome, but not many players in the league are from the left hand side of the plate.

I also agree that AJP, Crede, and Jermaine are the most irreplacable players on this team. If AJP goes down our catching situation would absolutely suck. There is no one even close that can replace Crede or Jermaine Dye. It is always easier to replace a DH, but I am not saying anyone will put up the same numbers as Thome did before the injury to his wrist.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
Strained left hamstring. Will know more tomorrow. It would be a devestating blow if we had to put him on the DL.

I disagree. I think the lineup will be more effective without him there. If they put Dye in the 3 hole, the lineup changes drastically, and we already hit LHP better.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AJ, with his s***ty OBP and Slugging percentage, is extremely replacable.

Oh yeah? WHo is catching full time then? Alomar? AJP would be extremely hard to replace. OBP and slugging percentage are the last things I am judging my full time catcher on. But hey, that's just me.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree. I think the lineup will be more effective without him there. If they put Dye in the 3 hole, the lineup changes drastically, and we already hit LHP better.

agreed

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)

Have I entered the twilight zone? On what planet is our lineup more effective without Jim Thome?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Have I entered the twilight zone? On what planet is our lineup more effective without Jim Thome?

It's impossible to talk about Thome, everything I see him do and his stats say he does just isn't respected by the majority of Sox fans it seems. Just remember, he's not a clutch hitter.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
It's impossible to talk about Thome, everything I see him do and his stats say he does just isn't respected by the majority of Sox fans it seems. Just remember, he's not a clutch hitter.

Seems like people want the '05 offense back. I know I don't. Not with this year's version of Podsednik/starting pitching.