Thome injury

BFirebird

I really think Thome hasn't been 100% in quite a while. I also think all the Gload fans will be surprised to see that there really is a reason why he doesn't play much if he is exposed as a regular. A long-term injury to Thome would really hurt, because the White Sox have to score a lot of runs to win games. 2005 IS OVER, MOVE ON.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
I disagree. I think the lineup will be more effective without him there. If they put Dye in the 3 hole, the lineup changes drastically, and we already hit LHP better.

White Sox offense with Jim Thome=Greatest offense in baseball and probably in team history even with a lead-off man who absolutely sucks. You're saying it will be better without Thome. That makes zero sense.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ross Gload is undoubtedly the most overrated Sox player by people on this board. I think that is because he had one good short stretch in the majors a few years ago. Since then, he hasn't played enough to show how much of a AAA player he really is. IF Thome goes on the DL, I think the Gload lovefest is going to take a major hit. Somehow people will be shocked that he hits .280/.320/.400. How is that a spark?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 05:59 AM)
I've been thrilled that he's been as healthy as he has been so far this year. Assuming he wouldn't be out for longer than a week to two weeks, I think it might be just the rest he needs for the rest of the year. I know his numbers have looked good for the last 30 games or so, but I think it's obvious to anyone watching that his bat speed has slowed down. Hopefully he's back on Friday night, and this whole argument is a mute point.

I couldn't agree more. It could rest Thome and change the mindset of the offense. Thome used to lead the entire league (or at least be in 2nd) in HR's, but he's a homer by Giambi/Beltran from being in 10th. He's really fallen off that HR pace. He can use a break.

Line-up v. lefties

Ozuna (LF) - Iguchi (2B) - Dye (RF) - Konerko (1B) - Crede (3B) - Cintron (DH) - Uribe (SS) - Anderson (CF) - Alomar ©

Line-up v. righties

pods (Lf) - Iguchi (2B) - AJ © - Konerko (DH) - Dye (RF) - Crede (3B) - Gload (1B) - Uribe/Cintron (SS) - Anderson/Mack (CF)

There really is no thought process in the Ozzie line-up except playing Mack and Ozuna out pf position in the hope they will be effective.

Do you think Maggs and I-Rod will play today??????

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)
Ross Gload is undoubtedly the most overrated Sox player by people on this board. I think that is because he had one good short stretch in the majors a few years ago. Since then, he hasn't played enough to show how much of a AAA player he really is. IF Thome goes on the DL, I think the Gload lovefest is going to take a major hit. Somehow people will be shocked that he hits .280/.320/.400. How is that a spark?

Hmmm...

In the two seasons where he has played 50+ games, he has hit .321/.375/.479 and .295/.327/.400. He has a little speed, plays decent to above-average defense at 1B (OF aside for the moment), hustles every time, and is probably a 15-20 HR guy if playing a full season.

Like RockRaines said recently, he is Shawn Casey with a little more speed.

Is he Jim Thome? Of course not. But I'll take the .300/.330/.410 he'll give if he plays regularly, as about as good a bench replacement as anyone in the league has for 1B/DH.

And BTW, even if its just .280/.320/.400, thats better than we are getting out of at least 3 guys in our lineup right now.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
Bring on the G-Load, Ozzie.

Mack LF (OK, so it will be Pods really, but a man can dream)

Iguchi 2B

Dye RF

PK 1B

AJ C

Gload DH

Crede 3B

Anderson CF

Uribe SS

I think that will do just fine for a few days, until Thome returns.

I agree with your leadoff guy wholeheartedly but for some reason, Ozzie still decides to trot out Pods out there. C'mon Oz, lead off Mack in LF and the bench gets faster with both Pods and Ozuna to pinch run late!

And I'd still rather have Joe bat ahead of AJ with/without Thome. The guy is the best clutch hitter on the team and AJ swings at every damn pitch, even if it's at his head.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Have I entered the twilight zone? On what planet is our lineup more effective without Jim Thome?

The planet where the other team uses Lefties to kill us.

Of course the raw power will drop off, and th ability to score 18 runs per game. But right now, it is easy to get through the #2 and #3 guys by just using LHP. Not only that, but thome and Paulie are a double play pitcher's dream. Slow footed man on first, Konerko loves to pull the ball to the 3B. With Dye hitting #3 he not only has power and OBP, but he has the ability to drive the ball through the middle and to RF, and the IF doesnt shift the whole IF to try and take away the single. With Gooch on 2B or PODS, Dye automatically improves our chances at letting them score. The offense may not be better with just scoring a million runs, but it becomes more versitile and thats what i think this team needs day in and day out.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
Assuming Thome is out for a few days, what about bringing up Fields to play 1b? Lets see what he's made of. He's been killing the ball in Triple A, hitting .311 with 18 homers and a .525 slugging percentage.

I don't think throwing a rookie into a line-up and having him play a position he doesn't usually play is a good idea in a playoff push. The Sox have some bench guys who would outperform Fields anyway at this point.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
Assuming Thome is out for a few days, what about bringing up Fields to play 1b? Lets see what he's made of. He's been killing the ball in Triple A, hitting .311 with 18 homers and a .525 slugging percentage.

If its only a few days, who do you plan on sending down or releasing in the meantime?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
The planet where the other team uses Lefties to kill us.

Of course the raw power will drop off, and th ability to score 18 runs per game. But right now, it is easy to get through the #2 and #3 guys by just using LHP. Not only that, but thome and Paulie are a double play pitcher's dream. Slow footed man on first, Konerko loves to pull the ball to the 3B. With Dye hitting #3 he not only has power and OBP, but he has the ability to drive the ball through the middle and to RF, and the IF doesnt shift the whole IF to try and take away the single. With Gooch on 2B or PODS, Dye automatically improves our chances at letting them score. The offense may not be better with just scoring a million runs, but it becomes more versitile and thats what i think this team needs day in and day out.

Dye is also a DP waiting to happen. Thome gets on base more often than any White Sox player. He also homers more than any White Sox player. Not having that in a line-up on a team where scoring a lot of runs is imperative due to poor pitching, is going to hurt. Hopefully Thome will only miss a game or 2, but I have a bad feeling.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)

We need another lefty in the line up... Gload is not the same as Thome. We don't ask THome to lay down a bunt or sacrifice himself. Gload will get the job done.. He's more of a small ball player which might be the best direction for us for a while we can't live by the home run or can we?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 07:07 AM)
Bring on the G-Load, Ozzie.

Mack LF (OK, so it will be Pods really, but a man can dream)

Iguchi 2B

Dye RF

PK 1B

AJ C

Gload DH

Crede 3B

Anderson CF

Uribe SS

I think that will do just fine for a few days, until Thome returns.

I think we know Ozzie well enough to know that if Thome is sitting for a full game, Gload will play 1b and Konerko will DH most of the time...it gives Gload extra time in the field (which is usually not a bad thing) but more importantly it lets Konerko rest up his legs, which is a very good thing for him.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
We need another lefty in the line up... Gload is not the same as Thome. We don't ask THome to lay down a bunt or sacrifice himself. Gload will get the job done.. He's more of a small ball player which might be the best direction for us for a while we can't live by the home run or can we?

I absolutely love the fact that this lineup has been "forced" on Ozzie. Who knows, I could be wrong and they can lose every game. I don't think so. The players realize they will need to get it done differently. A little less thump in the lineup might enable this offense to score with base hits rather than homeruns. The key obviously will be Ozuna. I think Dye is a hitter that Ozzie can trust to hit 'n run and move runners along with better success than Thome, hopefully. Thome strikes out with such regularity that the hit n run is simply not an option. You will also see Dye get some pretty good pitches with Paulie behind him. I wouldn't be surprised if he jacks one or two over the fence.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)
Dye is also a DP waiting to happen. Thome gets on base more often than any White Sox player. He also homers more than any White Sox player. Not having that in a line-up on a team where scoring a lot of runs is imperative due to poor pitching, is going to hurt. Hopefully Thome will only miss a game or 2, but I have a bad feeling.

Thome has ONE more HR than Dye. And Dye has almost 20 more hits less k's more RBI's and the 2nd best OBP on the team. Oh and vs LHP his OBP is .438 and he hits .352 against them.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
I think we know Ozzie well enough to know that if Thome is sitting for a full game, Gload will play 1b and Konerko will DH most of the time...it gives Gload extra time in the field (which is usually not a bad thing) but more importantly it lets Konerko rest up his legs, which is a very good thing for him.

That is a good point, and true, about Gload at first and PK at DH. Today's lineup reflects it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 08:50 AM)
Thome has ONE more HR than Dye. And Dye has almost 20 more hits less k's more RBI's and the 2nd best OBP on the team. Oh and vs LHP his OBP is .438 and he hits .352 against them.

The only reason Dye hits into a lot of DP's is that he's not a fly ball hitter, he's a line drive/ground ball hitter who can absolutely smoke the ball and tons of his DP's have been hot shots right at the middle infielders or 3rd baseman.

They were hard hit balls to the wrong person and its easy to turn two on that. The guy is by far the best player on our team this year.

Okay everybody's harping about how Thome's sort-of "cooling off" of late isn't his fault, it's the fact that Pods and Gooch aren't getting on base for him to bat in (which I said weeks ago).

That said--if you accept that--then WTF do we keep leaving Pods in the leadoff spot? He's hitting for crap, and he doesn't steal bases when he does get on.

I like this idea of Mackowiak in LF and leading off--do SOMETHING.

Don't get me wrong I loved Pods in 2005 and think he's a great guy but he has been virtually worthless 2nd half for us. In the field, on base, at the plate. Why is it such a big deal to shake up the batting order? Didn't we do that earlier this year, moving Gooch down? Or somebody?

Do what it takes. Quit sitting around waiting for 2005 to re-appear, because I don't think it's going to. And if that means benching Pods, then so be it. He can be a pinch runner. But I'm SOOO tired of seeing him ground out first pitch or taking strikeouts looking.

Thome I'm not too thrilled with of late, but if we make these moves let's see what happens.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
It would be a devestating blow if we had to put him on the DL.

No it wouldnt. Konerko, Dye or Crede would be a much bigger blow.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)

This post says it all. Out of all of Dyes hits, how many of them were absolutely CLUTCH? How many times did he make contact or go the other way to get a hit? Thome refuses to do this (he did in April, man is/was he scary) I think our lineup gets a shot in the arm with Thome grabbing some bench for a couple games this way. Put Konerko 3rd, Dye 4th now.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
Do what it takes. Quit sitting around waiting for 2005 to re-appear, because I don't think it's going to. And if that means benching Pods, then so be it. He can be a pinch runner. But I'm SOOO tired of seeing him ground out first pitch or taking strikeouts looking.

Thome I'm not too thrilled with of late, but if we make these moves let's see what happens.

Thome I havnt been pleased with for a while now (strikeout-wise/pulling-ball wise)

Pods, bats 9th now

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
No it wouldnt. Konerko, Dye or Crede would be a much bigger blow.

This post says it all. Out of all of Dyes hits, how many of them were absolutely CLUTCH? How many times did he make contact or go the other way to get a hit? Thome refuses to do this (he did in April, man is/was he scary) I think our lineup gets a shot in the arm with Thome grabbing some bench for a couple games this way. Put Konerko 3rd, Dye 4th now.

Thome I havnt been pleased with for a while now (strikeout-wise/pulling-ball wise)

Pods, bats 9th now

Dye has the highest BA with runners in scoring position on the team.

Pods has been ridiculously awful as of late and thats definately had an impact on Thome who has not been in near as many RBI situations. That said he hasn't made the most of the recent situations he's been in (although he did knock in a run on the play he got hurt on).

Thome's solid, but I do think his numbers look better than his play has been. I really think he's the 3rd best offensive player on our team (behind Dye and Paulie). That said I think he's one of the reasons we've seen Dye, Crede and AJ all step things up offensively and yes I do consider Thome one of the upper echelon run producers in this league.

My opinion is that anyone who thinks that losing Thome isn't a very big deal is crazy. Also, those who are complaining about how Thome has been hitting recently are out of touch with reality:

July - .384 OBP, .621 SLG, 1.005 OPS

August - .444 OBP, .591 SLG, 1.035 OPS

One could hardly ask for more from ANY major league hitter. I have no use for amateur scouts who don't like his "approach". He is a great hitter who has had an amazing season and whose hitting has been outstanding since the ASB. Production and results are meaningful. The subjective opinions of amateur scouts are worthless.