AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER

Balta1701

Not that I want Thome out of this lineup or anything. However, having Dye hitting 3rd is is genious and its what I've been waiting for since the World Series. I say if the offesne continue to succeed with JD hitting there, just have Thome hit 5th when he comes back. You have to give the man with the hot stick as many ABs as you can. Lets not forget he has more speed as well. JD FOR MVP BABY!!!!!

Go Sox! Lets take 2 of 3 vs Minny!! Lets get on a roll!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
The reason it's called the "CY YOUNG" award is because the player it's named after had more wins than anyone in history. It would be ignorant to say that W's mean nothing.

You're still missing the big picture, though. Wins are a team statistic. I can't reiterate that enough. Your typical casual fan will look at a W/L record first and foremost to assess a pitcher's value, when that spiff really ain't spiff. I'm not referring to you in particular. I'm just saying, in general.

And if you really think about it, that is the same card that dumbass Kyle Orton fans used to play. We're talking about different sports, but the same concept applies. Teams win games, not individuals.

And if Jon Garland is an ace, then I'll be a monkey's uncle. :D

Edited by hammerhead johnson

I think it's quite the amazing stat that Garland has the most wins in the last two years in the AL. As I said earlier in the year, he was in one of those slumps where every bad pitch he made was hammered, and not right at someone. He just needs to trust his sinker, and stop getting hurt on his changeup.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
So who thought when Brian was hitting roughly .150 in May his average would rise 80 points in 3 months.

I did. You could see him slowly but surely putting together much better at-bats as the season went on. For a while there he was hitting line-drives left and right, just right at guys. It was just a matter of time before those line-outs turned into hits. I really don't think .250 is out of the question. That would be remarkable considering how he started the season.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
So who thought when Brian was hitting roughly .150 in May his average would rise 80 points in 3 months.

I thought he'd get up to .230, but I thought that wouldn't happen until right around the end of the season. For him to get it all the way where it is now is amazing, hopefully he can crack .240 or even .250 by the time the season ends.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
I thought he'd get up to .230, but I thought that wouldn't happen until right around the end of the season. For him to get it all the way where it is now is amazing, hopefully he can crack .240 or even .250 by the time the season ends.

I was gonna be happy if he got above .225. As the original BA supporter, I feel like I'm the only one who can criticize sometimes. :P

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
I was gonna be happy if he got above .225. As the original BA supporter, I feel like I'm the only one who can criticize sometimes. :P

I don't like all these "original" remarks here Heads. :P

Either way, he always going to take time to settle in at the major league level, and now everyone can see, why he's going to a real important core part of this lineup for the next 5 seasons at least.

Thome isn't too productive against lefties as you say with just six homers

and 18 RBIs. He is hitting .247 though, not as bad as I thought.

It amazes me he has 158 at bats against lefties and 247 only versus righties.

I thought the AL had a lot of lefty starters and they do. Man ... I feel for

lefty hitters. There are a buttload of lefties out there to bat against.

Daddy teach your kids to be switch hitters!

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
You're still missing the big picture, though. Wins are a team statistic. I can't reiterate that enough. Your typical casual fan will look at a W/L record first and foremost to assess a pitcher's value, when that spiff really ain't spiff. I'm not referring to you in particular. I'm just saying, in general.

And if you really think about it, that is the same card that dumbass Kyle Orton fans used to play. We're talking about different sports, but the same concept applies. Teams win games, not individuals.And if

Jon Garland is an ace, then I'll be a monkey's uncle. :D

Thats not really true at all. Baseball is a lot more of an individual game than football is. A pitcher cant do it all himself but he has a lot more control over a game than a QB does.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 01:56 AM)
And he pitches in that bandbox. That says it all

Arroyo has a 3.44 ERA this year, but has actually been better at home (3.05) than away (3.87). Go figure, and yeah Arroyo and Garland pitch in the 2 best hitters parks in the game as well.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 05:45 AM)
Thats not really true at all. Baseball is a lot more of an individual game than football is. A pitcher cant do it all himself but he has a lot more control over a game than a QB does.

I don't care about who technically has more control over a game. Quarterbacks are field generals. They control plenty.

The whole Kyle Orton argument revolved around "his" winning streak. Were you physically present on planet Earth when all of this was being talked about? :D

I am saying that those Bears fans are philosophically challenged, just like people who put major emphasis on W/L records for SPs. That is the connection.

The point: It is a team sport, any way you slice it.

Edited by hammerhead johnson