Bobby Abreu

VAfan

As I posted around the trade deadline, the one trade I feared most was Bobby Abreu to the Yankees. What really pissed me off was that they got him for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

And it is pretty clear now that Abreu has been the difference in the Yankees coming from behind Boston to crushing the BoSox and having the second best record in the AL.

Now, I don't think it is too late for the Sox to make the playoffs as the wild card (don't think we're going to catch the Tigers) and beat the hated Yanks starting in their house. But Bobby Abreu is going to make it a lot more difficult.

This was the one guy that all the major contenders could have used. We could have used him to replace Pods as our lead off hitter, and put some threat both at the top of the order and to shore up our hitting weaknesses at the bottom of the lineup. Boston could have used him as a replacement for Coco Crisp or Willy Mo. The Tigers could have used him instead of Craig Monroe or Marcus Thames. He could even have helped Oakland's offense.

I'm just pissed that he's made the Yankees lineup formidable and dangerous again. Break a leg, Bobby! :angry:

First of all, Craig Monroe and Marcus Thames have been the Tigers 2 best hitters for a couple months now, but I digress. And also, the Yanks lineup when healthy is going to be a biatch. But anybody could have had him, all you have to do is pay the whole contract (which is a lot more value to the Phillies, all that freed up money, than prospects could ever be). The Yankees are also losing money this year, so it's not like this trade doesn't hurt their pocketbook.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
They are going to be scary when Sheffield and Matsui return.

1. Damon CF

2. Jeter SS

3. Abreu RF

4. A-Rod 3B

5. HGH DH

6. Godzilla LF

7. Sheffield 1B

8. Cano 2B

9. Posada C

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're assuming they're gonna be the same once they get back. It could take them a while until they get back to their pre-injury levels. Look at D.Lee.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)
As I posted around the trade deadline, the one trade I feared most was Bobby Abreu to the Yankees. What really pissed me off was that they got him for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

And it is pretty clear now that Abreu has been the difference in the Yankees coming from behind Boston to crushing the BoSox and having the second best record in the AL.

Now, I don't think it is too late for the Sox to make the playoffs as the wild card (don't think we're going to catch the Tigers) and beat the hated Yanks starting in their house. But Bobby Abreu is going to make it a lot more difficult.

This was the one guy that all the major contenders could have used. We could have used him to replace Pods as our lead off hitter, and put some threat both at the top of the order and to shore up our hitting weaknesses at the bottom of the lineup. Boston could have used him as a replacement for Coco Crisp or Willy Mo. The Tigers could have used him instead of Craig Monroe or Marcus Thames. He could even have helped Oakland's offense.

I'm just pissed that he's made the Yankees lineup formidable and dangerous again. Break a leg, Bobby! :angry:

Sure, many teams could've used Abreu. But not many teams could absorb that ridiculous contract. I, for one, wanted no part of it. Their lineup is really good. No doubt about it. But is it that much better than last year? They were second in the AL in runs scored last year. It's doubtful that Sheffield and Matsui are gonna come back anywhere near the same. So you're basically adding Damon and Abreu while subtracting Sheffield and Matsui.

Its pretty hard to call taking on that enormous contract "nothing". This isn't Yahoo fantasy baseball, and dollars mean a lot to teams. If they didn't someone would have offered a lot more than the couple of minor leaguers the Phillies got.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 12:12 AM)
First of all, Craig Monroe and Marcus Thames have been the Tigers 2 best hitters for a couple months now, but I digress. And also, the Yanks lineup when healthy is going to be a biatch. But anybody could have had him, all you have to do is pay the whole contract (which is a lot more value to the Phillies, all that freed up money, than prospects could ever be). The Yankees are also losing money this year, so it's not like this trade doesn't hurt their pocketbook.

He had a no trade clause where he could only go to a few teams, so that made it hard to deal him. Without a no trade they could have gotten some better prospects.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
But w/ Derrek Lee, he hadn't healed completly when he came back the first time.

You don't miss as much time as those two guys have missed and come back the same right off the bat. Sheffield has been out since May 29th. Matsui has been out since May 11th. So you're talkin' 3, 3 1/2 months of missed time. And there still is no exact date to when these two will be back. You can pretty much stick a fork in them for this season.

:angry:

Not like they're setting the world on fire with him considering they had a better winning percentage with out him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 02:53 AM)
Not like they're setting the world on fire with him considering they had a better winning percentage with out him.

That offense looked unreal when they were in Chicago. The umpiring was complete dogs*** in the series, but it looked very good and very tough nonetheless.

Then again, come postseason time, you have to be able to pitch as well. I'm sure the Yankees will be just brimming with confidence throwing Cory Lidle/Jaret Wright come postseason time. Mussina's having a great year, but who knows if he'll come back anywhere near healthy. Wang's pretty solid, but he's put up a lot of his good numbers against mediocre or just straight up bad offenses. RJ's not getting any younger. and even though he's pitching better in the second half, a 4.63 ERA is just not good.

(not like the Sox are in a completely different boat, but still)