Wing and Reed

Cali

Here's the whole article. I just cut out the parts about the Sox...

Wrapping up the arms race, I got my second look of the year at Ryan Wing, who is vaulting past more hyped teammates Allen and Kris Honel in the race to Chicago. The first time I saw Wing, his command was suspect, and he was falling behind a lot of hitters, but using his cut fastball to get himself out of jams. The cutter was still unhittable, but he mixed in pinpoint control and a nasty slider to carve up the Myrtle Beach lineup. Wing was rolling, and, if not for some lousy defense and questionable scoring decisions, could have made a real run at a no-hitter.

His fastball doesn't get above 91, but Wing gets good sink to it, and his cut fastball and slider are unfair to lefties. His ability to mix three pitches and control the strike zone made him untouchable, though his consistency hasn't been there throughout the season. I'd like to see the Sox challenge him with a move to AA soon and see how he handles the transition. He may not have the pure upside of most top prospects, but he shows a greater feel for pitching than many of the more highly publicized arms. Its not too hard to imagine Wing filling a spot at the back of the White Sox rotation by the end of next year.

Moving back to the White Sox side of the field, I finally got a look at Jeremy Reed. The Warthogs had seemingly scheduled his days off around my ability to get to the ballpark, so I'd missed him quite a few times this year. The second-round pick a year ago is having a phenomenal season with the bat, posting a ridiculous 40 walks against just 16 strikeouts and a .441 on-base percentage. Reed's plate coverage and batting eye are among the best in the game, and he simply will not chase pitches he cannot drive.

He's very similar to Paul O'Neill or John Olerud, and I'm not sure he'll ever develop much more power then either of them. He has gap power and will collect his share of doubles, but there just isn't a lot of home-run juice in his swing. Defensively, he covers enough ground for a right fielder, though his arm is questionable. As a left fielder, he'd be one of the best defenders at the position. Reed really should get the jump to AA soon, and he could be knocking on Chicago's door before too long.

Pretty good stuff about both of them, he seems to think both should be in AA soon, I could see that.

Holy s***... I am looking forward to having to play Reed as the 4th outfielder out of neccessity behind Ordonez (LF), Webster (CF), and Borchard (RF)...

Hmmm... Think the Sox should try and move him to first?  Or maybe Joe?

I think Reed will be up here before Webster, Webster is still pretty young isn't he?? Anyway, I would think that Joe Borchard would end up being a DH in the future, because we know Frank won't be around forever unfortunately. Another possibility is if we deal Maggs or he signs for big bucks after becoming a free agent.

I wouldn't mind having an outfield of Ordonez, Reed and Webster. Borchard could be a great DH. Let's just hope those two guys get here first.

CWSOX45

I just do not want him called up before he HAS to be on 40-man roster. That is one thing KW is not good at, handling the 40-man roster. We brought up Ginter a year before we had to put him on, thus we have to keep him next year or he leaves, could have used one more year out of him. Do not rush kids, I guess if he earns it fine, but not just to do it. If he was put on 40 man and hurt then we lose one whole year out of him we could have recouped with an option.

I just do not want him called up before he HAS to be on 40-man roster. That is one thing KW is not good at, handling the 40-man roster. We brought up Ginter a year before we had to put him on, thus we have to keep him next year or he leaves, could have used one more year out of him. Do not rush kids, I guess if he earns it fine, but not just to do it. If he was put on 40 man and hurt then we lose one whole year out of him we could have recouped with an option.

The only way kids should be brought up quickly through the system is if a team is rebuilding. Hell who knows we might see half of these guys in the not too distant future if the Sox don't get their act together.

CWSOX45

If I recall, Webster is very raw, but he's got good baseball instincts. He won't be here starting until probably around 06 or 07 if i remember right.

I also personally do not believe Thomas will play much longer after his contract expires, and I think that after seeing how he has hit as a 1Bman, that they will just let him stay there unless he says he wants to DH. I gotta think that anyone who wants Konerko can have him. If we could get a semi-good prospect(meaning someone better then Jon Adkins :fyou ), I would even take on some of his salary. I figure that by the time Thomas is done and retired, Webster will be ready, and by that time, Maggs will be gone as well. Possibly have an OF of Reed, Webster, Borchard...and that is a lot of talent right there.

Holy s***... I am looking forward to having to play Reed as the 4th outfielder out of neccessity behind Ordonez (LF), Webster (CF), and Borchard (RF)...

Hmmm... Think the Sox should try and move him to first?  Or maybe Joe?

I think Reed will be up here before Webster, Webster is still pretty young isn't he?? Anyway, I would think that Joe Borchard would end up being a DH in the future, because we know Frank won't be around forever unfortunately. Another possibility is if we deal Maggs or he signs for big bucks after becoming a free agent.

I wouldn't mind having an outfield of Ordonez, Reed and Webster. Borchard could be a great DH. Let's just hope those two guys get here first.

CWSOX45

Personally I think Borchard is one of the better defensive outfielders in all of the majors or thats where i see him projecting. Reed would have to play left, can't play right. He could but his arm wouldn't be strong enough. Webster will be in center, Reed in left and Borchard in right. I think they'll rotate Maggs in the outfield and have him DH while the other outfielders also DH. I could see them usinga similar rotation like the Angels use. Thats of course if they sign Maggs.

I know that most Sox fans don't want to hear this, but I think Maggs should be traded in the next couple of years, IF some of the outfield prospects develop. 3 of the Sox top 5 current prospects are outfielder(Borchard, Reed, Webster) and the Sox spent 5 out of the top 10 picks this year on outfielders as well. I think the outfield could become a strength and that the Sox could afford to move Maggs. Maggs would probably net the Sox 2 or 3 VERY good players to fill in other holes(like a SS for the future). It would also save the Sox 14 m/yr that could be used to sign other young players(I don't like spending a ton of money on one player). I think trading Maggs is an idea that the managerment should ponder IF some outfield prospects live up to their potential and a good deal is on the table.

I know that most Sox fans don't want to hear this, but I think Maggs should be traded in the next couple of years, IF some of the outfield prospects develop. 3 of the Sox top 5 current prospects are outfielder(Borchard, Reed, Webster) and the Sox spent 5 out of the top 10 picks this year on outfielders as well. I think the outfield could become a strength and that the Sox could afford to move Maggs. Maggs would probably net the Sox 2 or 3 VERY good players to fill in other holes(like a SS for the future). It would also save the Sox 14 m/yr that could be used to sign other young players(I don't like spending a ton of money on one player). I think trading Maggs is an idea that the managerment should ponder IF some outfield prospects live up to their potential and a good deal is on the table.

Why do you think we drafted guys like Borchard, Anderson, Sweeney, Reed and Webster lately...

Personally I think Borchard is one of the better defensive outfielders

From what I've seen of him in CF, he gets terrible jumps, his throwing is off balance which pretty much nullifies his cannon QB arm, Willie Harris has gotten better throws than Joe, that's sad.

His stock is dropping. Fast. He is 25, can't hit, can't play D., can't run bases......you think he can learn how to? I sure hope so.

From what I've seen of him in CF, he gets terrible jumps, his throwing is off balance which pretty much nullifies his cannon QB arm, Willie Harris has gotten better throws than Joe, that's sad.

His stock is dropping.  Fast.  He is 25, can't hit, can't play D., can't run bases......you think he can learn how to?  I sure hope so.

I don't think Borchard is as bad defensively as you do Brando, but I too question whether is more than adequate in CF over the long run.

I have never heard anything but good things about Reed defensively, however.

Well I agree that Borchard won't play center in the majors because Reed and Webster are better options, but he is an above average defensive player. I saw him make some pretty nice grabs out there in center. Now when you first come up to the show you have to make some adjustments to the park, etc, but Joe looked average out there to me.

His arm is awesome. I'll take him in right any day of the week. Offensively, I think he's about to go on an absolute tear. I really think he's close to putting it all together.

Also in regards to playing center in the Cell, I've heard from players being interviewed that its one of the toughest places to play defense in center because of swirling winds.

Well I agree that Borchard won't play center in the majors because Reed and Webster are better options, but he is an above average defensive player. I saw him make some pretty nice grabs out there in center.

Mind you I was as big a Borchard bacher/hype-upper as anyone back in 2002....but name ONE tough defensive play (catch, throw, etc) JoBo made THIS season. One, dare you....Cause I can sure name a few Rios-esque gaffes where he got a terrible jump on the ball and run(s) scored......

Now when you first come up to the show you have to make some adjustments to the park, etc, but Joe looked average out there to me.

I thought he looked very uncofortable out there, either charging the ball, going back or drifting.

His arm is awesome. I'll take him in right any day of the week.

When was the last time he threw the runner out or made a close play which an average fielder like Grissom or Singleton wouldn't? Wee-Weelie had 2 OF assists and made a few other smart throws....what has JoBo done in CF? Nothing, except f***ing Garland up in Arizona and dropping a bases loaded double at the Cell...

Offensively, I think he's about to go on an absolute tear. I really think he's close to putting it all together.

His batspeed is very mediocre (compared to Thome for example), his eye is suspect (compared to Choi) and he just has this puppy look at the plate....Am I missing something?

I'll add two cents here....

Borchard, when he first came to Birmingham in 2000 (for the last week of the season) had the "deer in headlights" look and was terrible. No one could figure out how this guy was a top draft pick. Once he came back the next year, you could see he was clearly more comfortable and that look was gone.

Defensively, he is not a burner but can cover ground with long, smooth strides. Keep in mind that he hadn't been playing CF that much in Charlotte before the callup. He has bounced around between all three OF positions in AAA, so he probably still does need to get comfortable, which is followed by confident.

I think he can be a decent CF once he gets to that point, but I don't see anywhere near a Gold Glove. Serviceable might be a fair word.

Also, I have never seen the cannon for an arm everyone speaks of. I am basing my opinion solely on his time here in Birmingham, but there was no question that his arm then, came nowhere near comparing to the arm of Aaron Rowand. Rowand was by far the strongest armed outfielder I have seen for the Barons. Perhaps Borchard's arm has developed with playing more baseball, but when I saw him it was clear to me and many others that Baseball America was off base with their scouting reports in that regard at that time.

I think IF Borchard ever "gets it" and it clicks for him, then Sox fans will love what they see.  He had one great season here for the Barons, strikeouts and all.

I think Borchard will be like Patterson in terms of development. Both will take some patience but once they figure things out, the sky is the limit. Patterson is busting out in big ways, and Borchard will too.

In regards to Joe's arm, its good, but not as its made out to be. I have seen him throw some awesome throws in spring training while fielding. One of the best arms I ever saw was Edgar Clementes.

Also, I have never seen the cannon for an arm everyone speaks of. I am basing my opinion solely on his time here in Birmingham, but there was no question that his arm then, came nowhere near comparing to the arm of Aaron Rowand. Rowand was by far the strongest armed outfielder I have seen for the Barons. Perhaps Borchard's arm has developed with playing more baseball, but when I saw him it was clear to me and many others that Baseball America was off base with their scouting reports in that regard at that time

Good throwing OF'ers usually have two things going for them: exceptional arm speed (Guerrero, Ichiro) or flawless mechanics and positioning (Rowand, Nady, etc). In my poinion Borchard is very strong (as a NFL-bound QB should be) but a baseball is quite different from a football as a projectile and by exteension so is throwing...JoBo needs a lot of work in order to utilize the arm of his, so far even Willie Harris outthrew him.