Season Ending Series vs. the Twins

Wedge

I hadn't realized this, but the season ends with the Sox at the Metrodome. Looks like we'll face Santana and the Twins avoid Garland. I hate to be Mr. Gloom 'n Doom and I realize a lot can happen between now and then to alter the importance of that series, but if both teams play as they have, then that series is uber-important and it's a damn shame we hit their best pitcher and they miss ours.

The Minn/Sox season ending series is another reason Detroit really is in the driver's seat with 6 of their last 9 games against KC, a team they destroy. The Sox really need to take care of business the rest of the season. They can't piss away games anymore. Everything clicked yesterday, offense, defense and pitching, hopefully that will translate into a hot streak, but we've been hoping for that before only to be dissappointed. If the starters start earning their paychecks, the Sox should be in good shape for getting into the playoffs. If they were in the NL, where there is only 1 team more than 6 games over .500, Ozzie would be getting his playoff rotation set.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
I'd just like to say that it's not a sure thing that Garland will be our best pitcher at the time that series rolls around.

That's correct. If Garland is the only Sox pitcher that is reliable at that point, those Minnesota games will probably be meaningless, and the Sox will probably already have their tee times for the following week. The rest of the staff needs to get hot. If they all could, it would be amazing. Hopefully at least 2 of the 4 guys struggling can get on a roll.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
If we get swept this series...then the season as far as I'm concerned ends against the Twins in Chicago.

If the opposite happens...then we've got a real shot at making those 3 games at the Twinky dome not matter.

Agreed.

Let's get er dun!

:gosoxretro:

The SOX will need to wrap things up a week before the Season ends, because:

A: Tiggers have Cupcake schedule the last week

B: Sox have to go to Cleveland & Minnesota last week of the season.

So with 35 games left (27 really), and with Ozzie saying the SOX need 95 Wins to make the postseason,

that means they'll have to win 20 of their next 35. I still want this team to focus on the Division (even though its almost out of reach) because A WildCard team will have to play their games on the road.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 07:15 AM)
I hadn't realized this, but the season ends with the Sox at the Metrodome. Looks like we'll face Santana and the Twins avoid Garland. I hate to be Mr. Gloom 'n Doom and I realize a lot can happen between now and then to alter the importance of that series, but if both teams play as they have, then that series is uber-important and it's a damn shame we hit their best pitcher and they miss ours.

The only way were getting in the playoffs is if Detroit tanks it. Minnesota will be looking at us in their rearview mirror the rest of the way................As much as it pains me to say that, it's true

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
The only way were getting in the playoffs is if Detroit tanks it. Minnesota will be looking at us in their rearview mirror the rest of the way................As much as it pains me to say that, it's true

If we keep playing the way we have, we're screwed.

Bob