Completely Hypothetical Situation

Cali

Hawk was talking a lot about the chance of the Padres signing Tejada to bring in the New Ballpark. If they do sign him, I wonder what the chances are the Sox could swing a deal to get Khalil Greene from San Diego, I've been hearing a lot of good things about him, he's the number 2 prospect in the Padre system behing Nady. A nice shortstop that would be ready to take over for Jose in 2004.

Or the Sox could just go straight for Tejada :D

Hawk was talking a lot about the chance of the Padres signing Tejada to bring in the New Ballpark. If they do sign him, I wonder what the chances are the Sox could swing a deal to get Khalil Greene from San Diego, I've been hearing a lot of good things about him, he's the number 2 prospect in the Padre system behing Nady. A nice shortstop that would be ready to take over for Jose in 2004.

Or the Sox could just go straight for Tejada  :D

Cool. Let's get him, do you think there is a greater chance of hell freezing over than the Sox signing Tejada? :lolhitting

CWSOX45

They don't have much for 2B....so we'd probably have to either swing a hell of a deal by robbing them dead, or we'd have to settle for less(probably like Ramon Vazquez, who's not bad, but not exactly what I figure we'd want).

They were at one time going to move Burroughs to 2B, have Nevin at 3B, Klesko at 1B, and Kotsay in CF, Trammell in LF and Nady in RF or something like that....but I think getting rid of Trammell and losing Nevin actually kind of helped unclog a very clogged up situation.

I'd do it, I just don't know if it would be worth it. We could possibly end up giving up more then we'd get. As long as Jose doesn't cost an arm and a leg(or in other words, more than $3 mill), I'd actually just prefer to resign him.

I really like Vazquez and would love to take him off of the Padres hands. I have followed him some in the minors and he had a great year at Seattle's AAA club in 2001. He doesn't do anything great, but he does a lot of things well. He will hit for a solid average, has double digit HR potential, has decent speed but more importantly is a smart baserunner(ala Valentin), and is solid defensively(he reminds me a lot of Clayton in the way that he doesn't have great range but he isn't going to make a ton of errors). The thing that I like most about him is his plate disipline. He draws a good amount of walks and this was one of the reasons that I have always liked him since his AAA days. I am a huge fan of plate disipline and this guy should be a consistant .350+ OBP guy. He is actually very similar to Jimenez offensively and I think a 1-2 combination of those 2 at the top of the order would be nice. Thats what the Padres wanted to do, but they lost patience in Jimenez. Neither guy has great speed, but it is decent and they do the other things that you want a top of the order hitter to do. If the Padres feel that Greene is their future SS and are willing to trade Vazquez, than I would love to see KW pull off another steal and take this kid. At 26 he is still young enough to build around and could be the SS of the future after Valentin.

whitesox I couldn't agree more with you in regards to Vazquez. He's definately a quality player and he reminds me a lot of Jimenez offensively. I've always told my dad that the Sox should pick him up and let him and Jimenez play up the middle. Vazquez at ss with Jimenez at 2nd. They'd be solid defensively and both are very patient players with enough speed. Vazquez is quicker then Jimenez and both should be high obp guys.

Or the Sox could just go straight for Tejada  :D

It sounds like Tejada will land in LA or SD. That is unless Nomar bolts Boston...

whitesox I couldn't agree more with you in regards to Vazquez.  He's definately a quality player and he reminds me a lot of Jimenez offensively.  I've always told my dad that the Sox should pick him up and let him and Jimenez play up the middle.  Vazquez at ss with Jimenez at 2nd.  They'd be solid defensively and both are very patient players with enough speed.  Vazquez is quicker then Jimenez and both should be high obp guys.

Jimenez does not have great range, the shortstop we acquire HAS to be able to cover a broad area of the infield. Otherwise we are going to be weak up the middle....AGAIN.

CWSOX45

Just thought I'd post Khalil Greene's stats so everyone can see what Cali is talking about, this kid is a stud. He was called up June 9th to AAA.

Mobile BayBears 04/03 to 06/08

AVG R H RBI HR BB SO SB CS

.275 20 63 20 3 16 55 2 3

Portland Beavers 06/10 to 06/15

AVG R H RBI HR BB SO SB CS

.357 4 10 9 2 0 10 0 0

Does anyone know anything about this guys defense? In AA in 54 games he committed 9 errors, while in his brief 7 games in AAA he has one error. Does anyone also know how fast this guy is? Any help would be great, thanks.

CWSOX45

Just thought I'd post Khalil Greene's stats so everyone can see what Cali is talking about, this kid is a stud. He was called up June 9th to AAA.

AVG  R    H RBI  HR BB SO SB CS

.275 20 63 20    3  16  55  2 3

AVG  R H  RBI  HR BB SO SB CS

.357 4 10  9  2 0 10  0 0

Does anyone know anything about this guys defense? In AA in 54 games he committed 9 errors, while in his brief 7 games in AAA he has one error. Does anyone also know how fast this guy is? Any help would be great, thanks.

CWSOX45

One stat sticks out like a sore thumb at me.

His K:BB ratio of about 3.5:1 is not good, and I assume that's in about 235 ab's....that's like 1 K ever 4.25 ab's, and over about 600 ab's, that's like 140 K's, and 40 walks.

Some stats mean very little....but he obviously has to work on his plate discipline before he is ready for the majors.

AVG  R    H RBI  HR BB SO SB CS

.275 20 63 20    3  16  55  2 3

AVG  R H  RBI  HR BB SO SB CS

.357 4 10  9  2 0 10  0 0

CWSOX45

One stat sticks out like a sore thumb at me.

His K:BB ratio of about 3.5:1 is not good, and I assume that's in about 235 ab's....that's like 1 K ever 4.25 ab's, and over about 600 ab's, that's like 140 K's, and 40 walks.

Some stats mean very little....but he obviously has to work on his plate discipline before he is ready for the majors.

Witesoxfan, I also noticed that. Do you think that may be because once he hits a couple homeruns he swings for the fences everytime? You know kinda like he has Ray Durham syndrome. :D

CWSOX45