8/26 Games

danman31

Charlotte lost 4-3. Rogo 2-4, HR #12. Box Score

Barons lost 9-5. Lopez 2-5. Whisler rocked. Box Score

Warthogs lost 7-0. Derek Rodriguez promoted and rocked. Box Score

Kanny won 7-5. Rafael Flores, the coolest name in the system, with a quality start. Box Score

Great Falls lost 8-4. Shelby 3-4, 3B, HR #7. Box Score

Bristol lost 12-5. O'Donnell 3-4, HR #1. 2 hits for Gerst, Gartrell, Morgan (HR #4), Acosta. Box Score

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 12:32 AM)
Brian Anderson got 448 ABs in Charlotte last season. He hit .295 with 24 doubles, 3 triples and 16 HRs. He had a K/BB ratio of 115/44.

Ryan Sweeney has 437 ABs in Charlotte this season. He hitting .295 with 24 doubles, 3 triples and 13 HRs. He has a K/BB ratio of 73/35.

You forgot the most important information. Brian Anderson was 23 years old in Charlotte last season. Ryan Sweeney is 21 years old in Charlotte this season.

Sweeney has a .804 OPS overall. Since the ASB however, he has splits of .318/.393/.578, an OPS of .971.

Now compare that with BA who had a .829 OPS last season.

Needless to say, if you don't consider Sweeney a top prospect right now, well I dunno. :bang

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 05:10 AM)
Sweeney has a .804 OPS overall. Since the ASB however, he has splits of .318/.393/.578, an OPS of .971.

Is that OPS number wrong? I know that's what MiLB.com says, but how is that possible, considering Sweeney hasn't had an OPS over .900 in one single month? Or am I making some really dumb math mistake?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
Is that OPS number wrong? I know that's what MiLB.com says, but how is that possible, considering Sweeney hasn't had an OPS over .900 in one single month? Or am I making some really dumb math mistake?

You are correct, that OPS can't be right.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)

MILB's splits are awful.

Here are Sweeney's July/August splits for BA/OBP/SLG/OPS

J: 0.299 0.373 0.485 0.857

A: 0.267 0.323 0.512 0.834

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
You are correct, that OPS can't be right.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
MILB's splits are awful.

Here are Sweeney's July/August splits for BA/OBP/SLG/OPS

J: 0.299 0.373 0.485 0.857

A: 0.267 0.323 0.512 0.834

MiLB's split's are entirely accurate.

The AAA ASG was July 12th. Sweeney had a poor first 10 days of July (1 extra-base hit), but smoked the ball the rest of the month (10 extra-base hits), resulting in an .850 OPS. But if you divide that before and after the ASB, he was something like .550 OPS in the first 10 days of July and over 1.000 in the last 15.

Add the 15 days of over 1.000 OPS to the month of (now) .876 OPS in August, and you've got an OPS of .967 since the break.

You can make a lot of players look better than they truly are by sliding the endpoints of your sample. The best thing we can say about Sweeney though is the thing that I loved about Chris Young last year... You can see him learning from month-to-month in his stats.

His monthly OPS totals now currently read.

April -- .731

May -- .773

June --. 774

July -- .857

August -- .876

Last season was the first that I ever saw monthly splits on minor league guys, but I think that, when taken in context, they can be one of the most valuable ways to judge a players progress for those of us who don't get to see them play on a daily basis. I think a prospect that you can see tangibly improving, either in OPS or K/BB ratio, from month to month is demonstrating learning as a skill. And I believe players that demonstrate this skill have a greater shot at success at the major league level because they should be able to continue that learning once they reach the show.

I suspect the Sox brass also feels this way, drafting pitchers in each of the last two first rounds who, even without the dynamite stuff of some of the others drafted around them, have learned to be successful at a high level.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic