Since July 3rd

Chisox_fan

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
I don't think it's a problem to talk about short term and long term approaches. A business manager does both, so why not here?

I read it as Brian needs to start hitting bombs now. Mea culpa.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
Chicks dig the long ball, man.

Anyone want to figure out how many times Minn. and Det. have started their starting lineup?

With guys like Hunter, White, Stewart, Polonco, Young all hitting the DL for long stretches this season, I doubt they've done so that much either.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)
Mack is pretty good OF when he plays LF or RF. He is not a centerfielder. He has stated many times on the radio that its not a position he feels comfortable with. He hasnt been happy with his centerfield play. This is not his fault, its just that he is miscast. And I feel bad for him, because some people dont recognize that he is a good defensive LF and a good RF and just think he is bad as an OF all around. He is a valuable player as a bench player and left handed stick off the bench late in games.

Anderson needs to play just about every single day. He is 24 years old, and is ready to play everyday.

Now here is a problem we havent talked about. Ozzie needs to see what he has in Brian before the playoffs start. Because if he is not confident in him to face X pitcher from the right side becaue its a bad matchup, is he going to be comfortable to face him in the playoffs. I dont want Mack roaming CF in the playoffs where mistakes are magnified 10 fold. My say is that we let the kid play everyday. If Uribe could play last year with his terrible BA at the time when we desperately needed offense, we can play BA who has been hitting well since June and plays spectacular D on a good hitting team.

Free Brian Anderson, let him play!!!!!!

AMEN!! LET HIM PLAY!

Sorry same post applies to both threads and IMO it bears repeating!! Stop the madness!!

I'm willing to accept that Ozzie probably has more baseball knowledge than me. I'm not wiling to accept that sub par defense wins games. I along with a few others on this site wanted Brian starting in CF even during his struggles at the beginning of the year. He is leaps and bounds better that Mack. Hell, he is leaps and bounds better than Rowand. I didn't like his sub .200 avg, but if he saved runs on defense I was willing to let it play out. So, maybe I was wrong. Maybe we...were wrong. Maybe the way Ozzie played it was right. Platooning Mack, losing defense to get Brian on the right track, and putting him in a position to succeed so he can get his confidence up, worked. BA is hitting almost .300 since the ASB and still playing GG defense. Post all star he is .325 against lefties and .281 against righties. I didn't agree with Ozzies move because I don't believe in sacrificing defense for offense, but then again I'm hacking away on my keyboard and he's the manager of the Sox, so we'll go with his way.

So now that the manager has proven me wrong, now that his way worked for Brian, albeit at the expense of some W's, why not bask in your spoils. We have our starting CF back. Why would we go into battle without a center fielder? What championship team would do that without their hand being forced by injury? No offense to Mack at all, I like him as a player and a person. In fact, I admire him, for playing out of position when asked. A lot of players would shy away cause they know playing out their comfort zone could make them look foolish. Mack stepped up when asked and continues to step up, but he's not a center fielder. He never was. He's just a guy doing his best to help the team.

Would a football team start a running back at wide receiver? I'm sure they could get the job done, but not like a wideout can. Would a home builder build a house without a finisher? I'm sure a framer can fill in, but I guarantee, you'll see the difference. When Mack plays center, we are passing to running backs, we are putting up trim that isn't mitered just right. That may work in high school football and that may work if you're finishing your own basement, but that won't work when you're trying to win a championship in the most competitive league there is. In this league, positions, matter. In this league, a sixteenth of an inch, matters. We have one of the best defenders at one of the most important defensive positions in baseball. He saves hits, he saves runs. When he is playing, there is no uncertainty in the outfield. If the ball is catchable, he'll catch it. If it isn't catchable, he still may catch it. The ratio of what the Sox lose offensively from Mack to Anderson is minuscule compared to what they lose defensively from Anderson to Mack.

There is no reason I can possibly think of as to why we downgraded that much defensively in 5 of the last 10 games. Games where every hit matters. Games where Piranhas are trying to nibble you to death and if you give them a bite that should have never been, it just may be the one that kills you. Defense wins games. Defense wins championships. Ozzie said it when he was hired. Ozzie said it when we reached the playoffs. Ozzie said it when we won the World Series. Ozzie, say it again. Please!!

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
Chicks dig the long ball, man.

Anyone want to figure out how many times Minn. and Det. have started their starting lineup?

The Twins had 4 different line ups in the last 6 games we played against them. They used to two different ones, twice, and two different ones, once.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
This is what he is talking about, and its his plans for next year not this year. They either want Brian to develop into a power guy or a top of the lineup guy. Guillen likes Brians speed and wants to use it more.

BRIAN'S SONG: Guillen has speed in mind for center fielder Brian Anderson's future if Anderson is willing.

Guillen would like Anderson to play winter ball after the season with the intent of improving either his power-hitting ability or his speed.

''I told him, 'You have to work this winter on being a power hitter or a speed guy,''' Guillen said. ''I think he's the fastest guy we have. He has to pick because you can't be successful in both.''

Anderson's speed has been a plus defensively, but his hitting woes (.227) have limited his chances to steal bases. He has four in nine attempts.

So basically what Ozzie is saying is that the philosophy of the five tool player is a myth. You can't possibly be a successful power hitter and SB guy. I've heard it all.

Edited by Chisoxrd5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
The Twins had 4 different line ups in the last 6 games we played against them. They used to two different ones, twice, and two different ones, once.

That doesn't matter, they're not fighting for the play........ oh wait a minute... :lol:

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
So people complain when pods is in the lineup along with complaining when the everyday lineup, including him, isn't used all the time...

We'd still prefer some changes. Say Mackowiak/Gload in LF and leading off, and have them play almost all the time.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
So people complain when pods is in the lineup along with complaining when the everyday lineup, including him, isn't used all the time...

Some want Pods et al all the time.

Some don't mind the subs, but want BA in the game more often.

Some want Pods out of the starting lineup, and the new starting lineup to play more regularly.

It's not consensus, nor is it that complicated.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
Some want Pods et al all the time.

Some don't mind the subs, but want BA in the game more often.

Some want Pods out of the starting lineup, and the new starting lineup to play more regularly.

It's not consensus, nor is it that complicated.

Put me in category #2!!

It's been said on The Score post-game shows at least once in the past week, but it bears repeating: starting Mackowiak in CF makes us worse at two things: CF and PH. It's completely and totally antithetical to the pitching + defense strategy that won us a title last year, sweetened up with 200 home runs.

If you think Brian Anderson is an offensive liability he is an even bigger PH liability.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
Milkman, with all due respect (and this time, I seriously am not trying to yap at you or be a jerk), unless you know what's going on in that clubhouse every day, you can't possibly know what's best. We can ASSUME what's best all day long (which we're all good at around here). I think I have a pretty good guess as to why this is happening, but honestly, I'm not willing to put it down here on the board.

But I will say this - I think that in September, we're going to be better off then some teams, because of the "Sunday lineups". Will it be enough to get us in the playoffs? Time will tell.

Its not the Sunday lineup, its playing players in the wrong position and there is absolutely no excuse for that. And having our every day lineup just 6 times is real pathetic. Last season it wasn't that bad and you won't see a good team in baseball that does it. Yes its great to have your bench involved and we have a solid bench (aside from a backup CF/righty bat) but at one point a line gets drawn in the sand because the guys on the bench are there and not starting for a reason.

Of course injuries to Paulie and Konerko played some factor in all of this. Oh and I'd have no problem if we saw a lot more of Gload, hell, just threaten it to maybe liven up Pods (who actually had his best game in a long long time on Sunday).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
That's a good point.

However, I still think there's some things that we're all not privy to which would be some reasons why this is happening.

Just so I'm clear, I'm for BA over Mack - I agree with you all on that. However, I'm trying to say that there's a reason why BA is being 'protected' if you will.

There isn't. Ozzie is putting BA in positions where he doesn't succeed. For example, always throwing him out against LHP which he hits substantially worse than RHP.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
Because there's some things (again) that we all may not know about.

I think your making some big assumptions here. The only thing going on is Ozzie being an idiot and I know at least a couple players are upset with there roles on the team. However, to the credit of the Sox things have stayed quiet.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
I don't think it's a problem to talk about short term and long term approaches. A business manager does both, so why not here?

I don't think you force the issue. I'd rather have Walker be the one that is in on this meeting, especially if it involves offense. But he may very well have been there. That said I think its stupid to pigeon hole a guy, especially with the all around tools Anderson has.

He could turn into the premiere centerfielder in baseball a few years from now. He'll never be a total offensive force (avg wise) but he could very well be a .280, 30, 100 type of guy while playing gold glove defense and that makes you a premiere CFer. Oh better yet, he could also probably steal 20 bases.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
I think your making some big assumptions here. The only thing going on is Ozzie being an idiot and I know at least a couple players are upset with there roles on the team. However, to the credit of the Sox things have stayed quiet.

:ph34r:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
That's a good point.

However, I still think there's some things that we're all not privy to which would be some reasons why this is happening.

Just so I'm clear, I'm for BA over Mack - I agree with you all on that. However, I'm trying to say that there's a reason why BA is being 'protected' if you will.

Now, there's a way to arise a man's curiosity. Inquiring minds wanna know.