What a fantastic city!

DePloderer

Hi Fellas

What a fantastic city Chicago is. Everything, the buildings, shops, food, parks and especialy the people. After the trouble we had getting there, all the delays and yes every bit of our luggage was lost in flight, we were questioning wether or not it was a good idea to detour through Chicago on the way to Virginia just to take in a game.

Well, from our first breakfast at the Palmer House ( thanks Texsox, ithe hotel was outstanding.) that was comp'ed to us by the restaurant manager because " you guys looked a bit worn out, I'd heard about your troubles and I wanted to get your vacation off on the right foot", everything went perfect.

Allthough my daughter had hoped the luggage would never turn up, so she could get a whole new wordrobe, it arrived the following day. The deep pan pizza met a mixed reception, the girls are not fans but my son and I liked it, Millers Pub realy does serve the best pizza's and the Italian beef sandwich I had at the game (from the place by the right fowl pole,thanks to who ever suggested it) was spot on.

The game, well it couldn't have been bettered. A realy big thank you to Gregg for swapping my upper deck tickets with some of his lower deck ones, being a tour guide and generaly being a top class guy. The atmosphere far outstripped my expectations and we got to see a win! So I have a lifetime record of 1-0.

The architecture was fabulous, we spent some time in the Millenium Park and the art gallery. Unlike other major cities we have visited everyone from shop assistants to taxi drivers and people we met on the street were so helpful and justly proud of their city. Chicago has all the best parts of New York, but it is far more compact and doesn't have the "attitude".

We will be back.

I have a some pictures to post later. When I got home I found my modem had blown up and am on my Dads at the moment so I won't be able to post all that often for the next couple of weeks.

Once again thanks to Gregg and all that passed on suggestions, we realy enjoyed our time in Chicago.

Simon.

Glad you found Chicago to be a nice place. Like Rex, I may be going to London in November this year. My Corporate office subsidizes a trip to England every year, since the Pindar Group over there is our biggest shareholder. All it will cost me is airfare, and they set us up for a week with rooms, meals and tours. I couldn't go last year, but this year I am hoping.......

Glad to see that your visit went beyond your expectations and that you had a chance to visit The Cell. So much improvement was added to the park. I never get tired of going there. The only thing that I liked better at the Old Comiskey was witnessing those massive "Rooftop Shots" home runs, and when the fireworks went off, because of the upperdeck that wrapped around the park, the explosions would be INCREDIBLE THUNDERING and bounce off the walls, and the vibrations in your chest felt like it would explode. IT was great. Anyway, I lived here all my life and have loved every bit of it. Glad you and your family had a chance to experience it and had a wonderful time.