This team needs to make some changes...

BearSox

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
How about we replace the meathead manager who is putting all of these guys in a position to fail or not putting them in any position at all?

I'm sorry to tell you this, but you have not a flipping clue what you're saying. You sound like the typical monday morning quarterback. If the pitching ERA was a half point lower we would have 85 games in the win column by now. It's that simple. When the starters AND the pen are blowing leads on a leisurely basis, it will look as if every......any move Ozzie makes is a bad move. Ozzie is not a great manager, by any stretch of the imagination, but neither is he a bum. Ozzie has the trust and respect of his players, and that is huge. I do think that someone other than Ozzie needs to pick out his coaching staff, cause I believe it is the worst of all the playoff contending teams.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
I'm sorry to tell you this, but you have not a flipping clue what you're saying. You sound like the typical monday morning quarterback. If the pitching ERA was a half point lower we would have 85 games in the win column by now. It's that simple. When the starters AND the pen are blowing leads on a leisurely basis, it will look as if every......any move Ozzie makes is a bad move. Ozzie is not a great manager, by any stretch of the imagination, but neither is he a bum. Ozzie has the trust and respect of his players, and that is huge. I do think that someone other than Ozzie needs to pick out his coaching staff, cause I believe it is the worst of all the playoff contending teams.

And the team's ERA is higher because OZZIE decided not to let McCarthy start.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 08:20 PM)
No the organization decided not to let McCarthy start.... If you want to blame someoen for that look at KW.

You think Ozzie is the type of guy to be told how to manage the players...?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
Interesting about Pods, he had two beautiful bunt singles and a couple of steals this weekend... I wonder if he is finally ready to go now, or if this is just a tease?

This offense goes from really good to a friggin' juggernaut if Pods comes out of his coma.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
Interesting about Pods, he had two beautiful bunt singles and a couple of steals this weekend... I wonder if he is finally ready to go now, or if this is just a tease?

Were the steals impressive ones or were they just awful throws. I mean it looked like he had a 05 Pods like game yesterday.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)
Were the steals impressive ones or were they just awful throws. I mean it looked like he had a 05 Pods like game yesterday.

He looked much more decisive and confident. The first steal was all him, as he had a great jump (I'm still confused at the slide he attempted). The second steal was more due to a bad throw by the catcher. Redmond was the catcher, and the best thing you can say about his arm is that he's a good hitter. However, I don't care who is behind the plate. It's nice to see Pods try to get some swagger back.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
You think Ozzie is the type of guy to be told how to manage the players...?

I'm with you on this Steff. From everything I've heard about the situation (and this is one of the few areas I've heard some "inside" sort of stuff) is that Kenny is absolutely in love with Bmac (well maybe not in love, but he thinks very very highly of him, and that should be pretty obvious considering all the positive quotes he's had about Brandon) while Ozzie does not feel the same way about Brandon.

My guess is something about Brandon rubs Ozzie the wrong way and Ozzie's the type of manager who seems to base a lot of things on how he likes a player and attitude sometimes matters. I'm not saying Brandon has a bad attitude, by all means I don't think he does, I think he's a constant professional but he may not be as loose as some of the other players and he tends to have a very serious demeanor and a little more "dry" humor so to speak and somewhere in there I think something rubs Ozzie the wrong way.

I just know that Kenny is going to have to force Ozzie's hand next year and basically get rid of a starter so we know Brandon is the starter and that will happen. I just wish there was another person calling the shots.

Ozzie got us the ring and I think him for that and he'll always be a legend in Chicago for that (just like Ditka is) despite the fact that both Ozzie and Ditka (despite having interesting personalities) were what I'd consider mediocre coaches/managers.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
He looked much more decisive and confident. The first steal was all him, as he had a great jump (I'm still confused at the slide he attempted). The second steal was more due to a bad throw by the catcher. Redmond was the catcher, and the best thing you can say about his arm is that he's a good hitter. However, I don't care who is behind the plate. It's nice to see Pods try to get some swagger back.

Definately, he seems very tentative and its like he is afraid to go or just hesitating a little more. Plus he's not really practicing his jump like he would last season when he'd get a nice secondary lead (he really doesn't do that as well this year).

But hell, he finally stole some bases of someone not named Victor Martinez (cause it seems like most of his steals come when we play Cleveland).

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
This offense goes from really good to a friggin' juggernaut if Pods comes out of his coma.

Just imagine this team with one of Sizemore, Crawford or Reyes leading off. You give this team an elite leadoff hitter and they're unstoppable.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)

If Pods can be the Pods of most of last year, we will be in good shape because his speed will help us win the games where our power is a little dry. So ya that would be outstanding.

Obviously eventually the pitching will have to step up, but if Pods can get rolling and stealing sucessfully we should be able to find a way to hit ourselves into the playoffs. What happens at that point, I don't know, but the only positive is I don't see a real imposing pitching staff out there in baseball right now.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
Jas, I think it's Brandon's "professional" attitude that rubs Oz the wrong way. Mike, please chime in with your thoughts also.

No doubt. Brandon has handled the questions as best as possible about him moving into the rotation and everything. But I guess since he's not firey or anything like that it upsets Ozzie. Afterall, it seems like if you say stupid stuff you instantly become a member of Ozzie's inner circle.

The thing i don't get is, Brandon seems to be the pitching version of Paulie, a pretty quiet guy whose very serious and professional but when he goes to the media usually (aside from some of the spats with Thomas) its handled with some class.

Ozzie never handles the media with class.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
No doubt. Brandon has handled the questions as best as possible about him moving into the rotation and everything. But I guess since he's not firey or anything like that it upsets Ozzie. Afterall, it seems like if you say stupid stuff you instantly become a member of Ozzie's inner circle.

The thing i don't get is, Brandon seems to be the pitching version of Paulie, a pretty quiet guy whose very serious and professional but when he goes to the media usually (aside from some of the spats with Thomas) its handled with some class.

Ozzie never handles the media with class.

Uhhh... Jason. Mrs BMac, i'm sure, knows all about Paulie behind the scenes so you should apologize for comparing her son to him.... :chair

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
Uhhh... Jason. Mrs BMac, i'm sure, knows all about Paulie behind the scenes so you should apologize for comparing her son to him.... :chair

:lolhitting

You know that I love Paulie, my favorite player in baseball. Well aside from that MVP candidate we had last year, I think his name was....WILLIE HARRIS :drink

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
:lolhitting

You know that I love Paulie, my favorite player in baseball. Well aside from that MVP candidate we had last year, I think his name was....WILLIE HARRIS :drink

You have issues.. :whip

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
Some people never liked him. FTR, I like him most of the time.

I think you were pretty dead on when it came to Ozzie. IIRC, When he was hired you mentioned a lot of his positives but than also said there would be times where people would be shaking there heads at what came out of his mouth and some of his actions.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
I think you were pretty dead on when it came to Ozzie. IIRC, When he was hired you mentioned a lot of his positives but than also said there would be times where people would be shaking there heads at what came out of his mouth and some of his actions.

I'm honestly shocked it took as long as it did for folks to turn on him...

I think the problem with bMac is no one is really pitching bad enough to actually be replaced. Right now any one of four guys could be replaced but not one for sure. You run the risk of removing the wrong one. Does this make any sense. The Vazquez Toronto game and Contreras Detroit game keep them in there and Garcia and Buerhle have been decently good.