Photo on page 8 of Sunday Tribune sports section - Says it all

UC76

If you get a chance, look at the photo on page 8 in the Sunday Tribune sports section. It's a photo of Pierzynski swinging with the following caption:

"AJ Pierzynski goes down swinging for the final out with White Sox runners on first and third Saturday night."

You really have to see the photo to get my point. I mean AJ looks like he was hoping to make the ball land out on the Dan Ryan. Talk about swinging for the fences. He's completely stretched out, all over the place. His left knee is practically scraping the ground. His bat is directly behind him by about three feet and on the ground. his back is arched backwards at a 45 degree angle.

He was obviously trying to kill the ball. It was an absolutely ridiculous swing. Ridiculous.

But why?

You got a runner on third. Two runners on. Just score the run. Move the runners. Keep the chain moving.

Why is this concept so hard for the Sox to understand? Why? Why? Why does everyone want to be a hero?

Don't be a hero - just be a winner. Be smart.

Be smart.

Smart!

I hate to say, "Look at the Twins" but...look at the Twins. Get on with a single...or a walk...a bunt...whatever. And then move guys around the bases. Steal. Bunt. Single after single if need be. Whatever works.

But the Sox just club for the fences like a bunch of neanderthals.

Look at Konerko after Dye homered in the ninth. Pop up on the first pitch. Totally stupid. Dumb. And why? Konerko was obviously so pumped up that he couldn't control himself and went for the homer right after Dye that would have sent the place into a frenzy. Yeah, that would have been nice, but I would have been happy with a single or a walk. Just get on base. There was only out. ONE! So make something happen. Don't be stupid.

MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN!

Same thing in the tenth. Gload, Uribe and Anderson all fly/pop out. $%$%#%$#%#!!!!! Just get on base.

Why is this concept so hard for the Sox to understand. Don't be a hero. There is no need to be a hero. Just get on base and make something happen.

Be smart.

SMART!

OK???

Edited by UC76

Look at it this way: In game 1 of this series, T. Hunter, who's on quite the power streak, took until he had a 3-2 pitch when leading off the 9th inning. He eventually got a single. In the bottom of the 10th, Gload, who's not a power hitter, swung basically straight up on a 3-1 pitch well inside when leading off the inning. That's all you have to know about the difference in these teams right now.

QUOTE(G&T @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
Actually that AJ swing was an "Oh Shoot" swing. By the time he started that swing the ball was almost in the glove. He had to swing hard to try to catch up to it. That was my take on it.

Exactly. He was looking slider and got the fastball.

QUOTE(UC76 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
Why is this concept so hard for the Sox to understand. Don't be a hero. There is no need to be a hero. Just get on base and make something happen.

Be smart.

SMART!

OK???

And..............this is where a team has a manager who provides instructions to his players before they enter the batters box saying "listen guy, this is a tie game and we need a quality at bat, so, take first strike, don't lunge for out and away, and do what you can to reach the first white square down down the white stripe on the right, OK??"[-

QUOTE(forrestg @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)
I miss Carl Everett at least he had a different approach when he had 2 strikes on him.. He shortened his swing up stood more flat footed.

Yeah. I miss those days of having an absolutely terrible hitter DHing too. Sucks having Jim Thome and his 1.028 OPS. I much preferred Carl Everett's .250 batting average and .740 OPS. But the way he shortened his swing with 2 strikes on him, my god, it was a thing of beauty.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)
I miss Carl Everett at least he had a different approach when he had 2 strikes on him.. He shortened his swing up stood more flat footed.

As Damen said, the approach is worthless if it doesn't do any good. He'd still swing and miss at that low and inside breaking ball with that short swing (hell any pitch for that matter.)

Besides I am happy with Thome. :)