midseason top25

GoodAsGould

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
I'm not bashing Perez. He remains and old middle reliever. Middle relievers in the minors mean very little, especially before they reach AA which was the case when we made the list. I'd rate him higher now because he has shown production in AA, but I can't say I'm gitty over Perez yet.

You also have me who completely hates lower level relievers. Omogrosso is about the only one I like right now. I say this because there is usually a reason these guys are pitching out of the pen.

In fact, I am usually the one doing everything possible to push relievers down and down the list. I'm the tools person of the group.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
Come on, there's also a reason why Perez has given up seven earned runs in fifty-two appearances. At the very, very least, he warrants a position over two bums who have OPSes of .600.

Getz has a .649 OPS down at B-Ham (unless BA's stats are just screwing me here). And considering he has a 50/44 BB/K ratio, and he's hitting down at a terrible hitting environment, I don't think it looks THAT bad.

Ryan Sweeney only had a .728 OPS in his 1st full season down at B-Ham.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
Getz has a .649 OPS down at B-Ham (unless BA's stats are just screwing me here). And considering he has a 50/44 BB/K ratio, and he's hitting down at a terrible hitting environment, I don't think it looks THAT bad.

Ryan Sweeney only had a .728 OPS in his 1st full season down at B-Ham.

For most hitters, I'd buy the "playing in Birmy" excuse, but not for Getz.

He's not Josh Fields. I'd guess that he's a guy who's not going to hit a lot of flyballs that would normally go out, but instead die in the air. Jerry Owens and Ryan Sweeney both showed last year that, with more room in the OF, slap hitters can be pretty effective in that park.

I still see Getz as, at best, a major league backup. Even then, Pedro Lopez is having a better year and is a full year younger than Getz.

At that the time we made the list, Perez was a 23 year old low A (i believe he was in Kanny, but could be wrong.) Those numbers are impressive, but when it comes from a guy that old in low A, its not much to be thought of. However, now he looks like a viable prospect producing in AA at 23. Still, nobody here really knows that much about him in terms of pitches and velocity. We basically would be putting him in the top 20 based on pure numbers and nothing else, which is not a good strategy. Now, in my book he is top 15 with his recent AA dominance, but still we don't know his stuff.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 07:43 AM)
For most hitters, I'd buy the "playing in Birmy" excuse, but not for Getz.

He's not Josh Fields. I'd guess that he's a guy who's not going to hit a lot of flyballs that would normally go out, but instead die in the air. Jerry Owens and Ryan Sweeney both showed last year that, with more room in the OF, slap hitters can be pretty effective in that park.

I still see Getz as, at best, a major league backup. Even then, Pedro Lopez is having a better year and is a full year younger than Getz.

Pedro is the one guy that I was overly harsh on, but in reality I think it was Dan who was really pushing hard for Pedro and Lopez is still (sadly) possibly our best middle infield prospect, especially because none of us like Valido.

I like Valido's baseball smarts and defense, but I have reasons to think he'll never ever ever hit sucessfully again.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Pedro is the one guy that I was overly harsh on, but in reality I think it was Dan who was really pushing hard for Pedro and Lopez is still (sadly) possibly our best middle infield prospect, especially because none of us like Valido.

I like Valido's baseball smarts and defense, but I have reasons to think he'll never ever ever hit sucessfully again.

It's way different, because last year we felt he was headed up in a hurry. Valido that is.