9th inning management

southsider2k5

I don't know if anyone has addressed this yet, but I wanted to take a stab at this. Was I the only one wondering what exactly Manuel was doing in the 9th inning. He pinch hit for Joe Crede to lead off the 9th with Brian Daubach. This means that someone else was going to have to come off of the bench to play the field if we went extra innings. Also no one was on base, so why bring a power hitter to the plate with no one on base. The other thing against Daubach being the ideal PH in that situation is he has no speed. So after he walks, they pinch run with Josh Paul our back up catcher. Josh Paul can't play 3rd base either so we STILL need a fielder if it goes 10 innings. Why didn't Manuel just use his LEAD OFF HITTER to start the inning? That saves two of his bench players, also gives him the person who can play the field (Graff goes to 3b Jimenez to 2b) Using Josh Paul also uses up his back up catcher. So in one move he just handicapped himself BIG time if we come back to tie this game. What happens if something happens to Olivo?

Am I the only one wondering what Jerry was doing during this sequense of events? :huh:

I think sometimes he gets hung up on playing the percentages. However, how much can Manuel's moves, or any manager for that matter, help a team that continues to play poor fundemental baseball? I suppose one could argue that Manuel may play unsound fundemental managing though.

As I was sitting at USCF for the 5th time in 6 days, I saw this sequence of events and it made me sick.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it does look like Manuel is trying to get fired, but that is not the case. HE JUST CAN'T f***ING MANAGE!! :fyou