128 kids suspended in Hammond

southsider2k5

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=l...&id=4496933

August 25, 2006 - The principal at Morton High School suspended 128 students on the first day of school during a crackdown on dress code violations.

Wednesday's one-day suspensions came minutes after doors opened and affected more than ten percent of the 12-hundred students at the Hammond school.

The offending attire included baggy pants, low-cut shirts, tank tops and graphic T-shirts. Students were also cited for cell phone use.

Principal Theresa Mayerik says she hopes the suspensions send a message that students need to follow the rules.

The northwest Indiana school usually has 20 dress code violations a day.

If students stay out of trouble for 12 weeks, the infraction will be removed from their records.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
what a joke. very poor move on the administrations side. these kids are going to shut down for a while and the learning process will be impeded because of it. Far more that a T-shirt that says "Buck Fush"

They should have followed the dress code rule in the first place.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
Baggy pants and tank tops? Give me a break.

Let me ask you this...

How many places of work can you walk into as an employee with pants down to your ass and a tank top?

The answer is very few. And school is supposed to teach kids the things they need to know to survive and succeed in the real world. Asking them to pull up their pants and have sleeves on their shirts isn't nearly as much to ask as many of their future jobs have.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Let me ask you this...

How many places of work can you walk into as an employee with pants down to your ass and a tank top?

The answer is very few. And school is supposed to teach kids the things they need to know to survive and succeed in the real world. Asking them to pull up their pants and have sleeves on their shirts isn't nearly as much to ask as many of their future jobs have.

These kids are very far from your "real world." They are kids. Baggy pants? Tank tops? Come on, why dont we make everyone march in a line and wear a uniform while we are at it.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Let me ask you this...

This was exactly one of the points I made during my school board testimony. As much as we are educating kids, we are also giving them the tools that they need to succeed at whatever they are going to do after they leave our educational system. Things as simple as how you dress in a professional enviornment are important lessons to have learned when entering the workforce. And if you think the baggy pants thing is bad, the chair of the accounting department used to regulate his classroom like the workplace. You actually had to show up to class in professional accounting dress. If you were not on time, he locked the door at the second the bell rang. He made people quit activities and sports, not related to accounting on a regular basis. etc. His rational was that this is the way it was going to be in the real world, you might as well get used to it now.

these kids are being forced to go to school. we shouldnt force them to wear or not wear certain clothes at the same time. the business analogy sounds good and all, but you aren't forced to work at a particular business. you choose to work there and thus choose to accept their dress code. Some businesses have a suit-only dress code, others go business casual, others say anything is fine.

if we dont treat high school students like adults, how are we supposed to expect them to act like adults?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
These kids are very far from your "real world." They are kids. Baggy pants? Tank tops? Come on, why dont we make everyone march in a line and wear a uniform while we are at it.

They do, in military school. Heck, even public schools in some places now require uniforms.

And that is sort of my point - these kids are very far from the real world. School is part of how we adapt and learn in society. School is like going to work, for kids. I don't think public schools should require uniforms, but i do think a dress code is reasonable. Just like one is at work. I don't have to wear a suit every day, but I can't show up looking like a slob either.

Kids can still be kids, even with a dress code. They can still play and have fun and interact. I don't see this as a hinderence to those things.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
these kids are being forced to go to school. we shouldnt force them to wear or not wear certain clothes at the same time. the business analogy sounds good and all, but you aren't forced to work at a particular business. you choose to work there and thus choose to accept their dress code. Some businesses have a suit-only dress code, others go business casual, others say anything is fine.

if we dont treat high school students like adults, how are we supposed to expect them to act like adults?

Are you serious with this line in bold? Because you just made my point for me. Adults don't go to work with their pants around the middle of their asses.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)

Baggy pants and tank tops could, and do, mean very different things to each individual. Just as shorts to one kid could mean to the knees, and to the other... daisy dukes. If you set, and enforce, a dress code then there is no question about what is and isn't allowed and there can be no argument or accusation of special treatment.

This is the future... yikes.

I thought kids were only required to be in school until age 16? Does that means a dress code would be OK since you are in school "by choice" at that point?

The other thing in my point of view is that teaching kids things that are going to happen as adults is treating them like adults. Being an adult isn't all about being able to buy beer and vote. There are responsibilities that go with it too, and there is nothing wrong with that stuff being taught as well. I doubt for most places of business having your asscrack hanging out is in the dress code. The code is sounds like is being enforced here is a very basic deal, and not like requiring a shirt/tie of the males, and skirt of the females. They want kids to be presentable, not even anything close to a real business dress code.

the best thing a teacher/school can do is empower their students. not regulate them. i remember that 10 years ago when i was in high school, our school had a no food/drinks in class policy. no one could bring a water bottle or sandwich to class. the administration was afraid of either what was being drunk or garbage/mess that would be created.

i had a class where the teacher said... you know what... i'm going to allow you to eat/drink in my class. But if you take advantage of the situation, it's over. I don't think its right that you are being told when you can eat and drink like a dog. That teacher got more respect from her students than anyone teacher I ran across. The troublesome kids (the ones who got into trouble in every other class) loved this teacher and not just for this comment/decision. It was a matter of respect. The students felt like they were being respected and gave it back 10-fold. The students learned more in her class, then any other. They still remember her today. Ask yourself why??? Was it because she allowed them to eat and drink in the classroom? Absolutely not.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 08:15 AM)
This is the future... yikes.

Doesn't every generation say exactly that about the generation coming up behind them?

This country more to fear from people who aren't taught how to do math and are taught that the earth is 6000 years old than we do from people wearing pants too low.

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
I think uniforms should be enforced for public schools. Kids aren't expressing themselves in high school, they are expressing MTV. Make school their job.

As at that age, it should be.

As for uniforms, I don't support them, but I do support respecting the rules set. Like Mike said, they aren't asking them to wear suits & ties. They are asking them to keep their boxers covered. Not too much to ask, and if it is, then send 'em home and let mommy and daddy teach them how to respect rules. That's where the lack of respect started so it's only fair they get to clean up the mess.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
Doesn't every generation say exactly that about the generation coming up behind them?

This country more to fear from people who aren't taught how to do math and are taught that the earth is 6000 years old than we do from people wearing pants too low.

Sorry. To be clear it's the attitude I find more frightening than the topic, regardless of how silly, being discussed.

It's not about being able to wear baggy pants. It's about following rules.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 08:50 AM)
Sorry. To be clear it's the attitude I find more frightening than the topic, regardless of how silly, being discussed.

It's not about being able to wear baggy pants. It's about following rules.

Did you feel like your generation followed all of the rules laid out for it?

This is going to happen with every generation of kids that come up. They're going to find ways to push the boundaries set by whatever authority figure there is in existence. My group did it, I'm sure yours did, I'm sure that at some level, everyone here did.

The school can suspend people for this if they want. Totally within their rights. But it's not something that you should panic about, because it happens with every group of kids.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
Did you feel like your generation followed all of the rules laid out for it?

This is going to happen with every generation of kids that come up. They're going to find ways to push the boundaries set by whatever authority figure there is in existence. My group did it, I'm sure yours did, I'm sure that at some level, everyone here did.

The school can suspend people for this if they want. Totally within their rights. But it's not something that you should panic about, because it happens with every group of kids.

Of course not.

Of course it is.

I agree.

What is it that we are disagreeing on?

I wore uniforms from 1st thru 12th and I turned out okay. Hell, I had to wear a uniform at my first job (which I hated) as well - black pants and a white polo shirt with a stupid black tie (think grocery store clerk).

I am all for uniforms as it cuts down on worrying more about looking better than the next student as well as costs for the parent.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
the best thing a teacher/school can do is empower their students. not regulate them. i remember that 10 years ago when i was in high school, our school had a no food/drinks in class policy. no one could bring a water bottle or sandwich to class. the administration was afraid of either what was being drunk or garbage/mess that would be created.

i had a class where the teacher said... you know what... i'm going to allow you to eat/drink in my class. But if you take advantage of the situation, it's over. I don't think its right that you are being told when you can eat and drink like a dog. That teacher got more respect from her students than anyone teacher I ran across. The troublesome kids (the ones who got into trouble in every other class) loved this teacher and not just for this comment/decision. It was a matter of respect. The students felt like they were being respected and gave it back 10-fold. The students learned more in her class, then any other. They still remember her today. Ask yourself why??? Was it because she allowed them to eat and drink in the classroom? Absolutely not.

You are in school to get one thing, an education. You are not there to make buddies with the teachers. You are instructed in math, science, social science and arts to help round you out and prepare you for college or the work force. Teachers are authority figures, not your buddy. It isnt a one on one relationship with your teacher, its a one to many relationship.

And the comment about being told that you can eat or drink just like a dog. At work most people have a set time that you can have lunch. At some places you have a set place to eat said lunch. The rules you learn in high school are in preparation for the rules you have in the workforce.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
You are in school to get one thing, an education. You are not there to make buddies with the teachers. You are instructed in math, science, social science and arts to help round you out and prepare you for college or the work force. Teachers are authority figures, not your buddy. It isnt a one on one relationship with your teacher, its a one to many relationship.

And the comment about being told that you can eat or drink just like a dog. At work most people have a set time that you can have lunch. At some places you have a set place to eat said lunch. The rules you learn in high school are in preparation for the rules you have in the workforce.

but you're missing the point. the students learned more in that class, because they had respect and admiration for the teacher, than in any other class they took. it's not a coincedence why.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
They do, in military school. Heck, even public schools in some places now require uniforms.

And that is sort of my point - these kids are very far from the real world. School is part of how we adapt and learn in society. School is like going to work, for kids. I don't think public schools should require uniforms, but i do think a dress code is reasonable. Just like one is at work. I don't have to wear a suit every day, but I can't show up looking like a slob either.

Kids can still be kids, even with a dress code. They can still play and have fun and interact. I don't see this as a hinderence to those things.

Are you serious with this line in bold? Because you just made my point for me. Adults don't go to work with their pants around the middle of their asses.

Yes, wearing a uniform will prepare them for their job at McD's Fedex and Coldstone.